Steering Lock Failure..How Many

steve-r

Ok after doing some reading on this issue, im just wondering how many actual reports we have had of these going down in the UK and what revisions they have been?

I know Zugara has had a failure and now has been repaired under warranty. Mine is a Rev C and im hoping if it goes it goes before my warranty is up, if not then im thinking that the fuse is gona get pulled (paranoia setting in).

Does anyone know where the fuse is?

I was rather hoping this issue was restricted to the more extreme climate of the US but if we are seeing it here then I am concerned especially as I have 6 weeks warrenty left.

I think the fuse has to be taken out whilst the lock solenoid still works......but id someone knows where the fuse is I would be grateful. thank you.

Does anyone know where the fuse is?

I was rather hoping this issue was restricted to the more extreme climate of the US but if we are seeing it here then I am concerned especially as I have 6 weeks warrenty left.

I think the fuse has to be taken out whilst the lock solenoid still works......but id someone knows where the fuse is I would be grateful. thank you.

This was my reason for this thread, I know there is a huge amount of problems in the US, but i have found it hard to get any real numbers here in the uk. :shrug:

I haven't seen any Z steering lock to fail yet, but as they are looks the same as the Murano's or the GTR's so I wouldn't be suprised. It is caused by too much grease inside (when the grease reaching the electric motor it's causing reduced power so it will stuck half way and that's will trigger the fault code). Depending how much grease reached the motor it is may possible to repair the lock.(I have done a few on Murano's and GTR's some still OK, but some was unrepairable.)I will look into the wiring late on today for you and find out if any fuse removal can reproduce the fault.I hope this helps. Nissan modified the parts after they find this problem so if your car newer than you have better chance to have a good one fitted already. :)

so maybe, just maybe as this seems to be more problematic in the US this could be due to the warmer climate and therefore making the grease more fluid like then in turn running into the electric motor. :headhurt:

Yes I would think so. The countermeasure was introduced from late 2008 on the Murano (and the first 370Z in UK was sold beggining of 2009), but still seen a few failed after that. More than likely it caused by higher average temperature, as I said I didn't hear any 370Z to fail only Murano and a few GTR. I wouldn't worry about this on a UK 370Z.

(Otherwise I checked the wiring for you and there is no dedicated fuse for the SL all powered from the IPDM SL relay so you would need to remove all electric fuses one by one to find which connected to it, but IMO it's not a good idea. :wacko: )

The fuse you are looking for is next to the battery and is clearly marked STEERING LOCK.

Having read extensively about the steering lock failure, even the supposed revision C/D i decided to take fate in my own hands and remove the fuse that controls it, not wishing to be stranded or being given a hefty bill by Nissan to replace it when my warrenty runs out in a few months time!

Many people in the USA have done this mod which takes about 10mins to do without any issue whatsoever and of course is replaceable in the same amount of time should you require to do so

.I have lifted the pics from the American site cos my camera battery flat, so everything in pics is on the opposite side on our cars ( passenger side ) under battery cover.

I first removed the battery cover held by push clips... .user2381_pic55405_1348065331_zpscae8467f.jpg

Remove the battery bracket. There are 4 plastic clip holding it. Pop the plastic clip open with a flat headed screw driver and pull it out. Slide the bracket towards the passenger side wing as the bracket is under the stiffening bar.

user2381_pic55404_1348065331_zpsf0e9af40.jpg

Remove HALF of the plastic weather stripe. The weather stripe goes all the way to the driver side so you don't have to remove the entire thing. There are 4-5 clips that needs to unplug. To remove them, gently twists and pull upwards (these clips are plastic so they will break).

user2381_pic55402_1348065331_zpsa9e65646.jpg

You can now fully access the fuse box. Pop open the two clips and slide the box upwards.

IMG_1441_zpsffe32817.jpg

IMG_1440_zpsd629a54c.jpg

Open the box and locate the fuse and remove it.

IMG_1436_zps756ec528.jpg

The first picture shows where I pulled the fuse and the second one denotes it's location in the box.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN 'ACCESSORY' MODE FIRST!!!!

That's a great write up Kev, thank you very much. Have you actually done this? I just wonder if the fuse is there in the UK/Europian cars (I haven't got one in my workshop at the moment to double check.) as fuse hasn't been mentioned in the service manual. Now that's why I love this forum, I always learn something new :).

So spending a bit more time on this I have just ordered the adapter lead that deactivates the steering lock (providing its working okay still) in the unlocked position, should you want to have the lock working again just unplug the adapter lead and its back to standard. The other option is to cut the brown wire on the lock plug (pin 1 I think) but I prefer not to mess with the standard wiring (whilst the cars under warranty). My only concern is that if it fails when you are away from home you are rather Bu**ered. This way apparantly no codes get thrown you just dont get the lock to work........not that that would stop anybody taking the car in this day and age...those days are long gone!

£50 shipped from the US...when it arrives I'll let you all know how I get on. Of course the cheap option is to just snip that brown wire at the plug end ...by your feet!

I dont want to be stranded this winter away from home having just bought a nearly new car....

Well I can only go from reading all the posts on the US 370z site and they say it does and will! ( I spent hour reading them all !! in my break) but sniping the brown wire is good and doen't cause any fault code....I ordered the cable this afternoon and already I have a tracking number so I should get it quite soon, maybe by the WE.

Too late.......its already spent but thats good to know for anyone else...how long has your fuse been out? I just wonder if it takes some cycles to throw the code..have you plugged in the code reader to check BTW? or just seeing if the warning lanp shows? I am only going from what I have been reading. £50 Mmm half a tank of petrol not sooo bad eh

@Steve-r I have find the fuse it is there.

Going by the Service Manual and it's wiring diagram taking the fuse out will give you a Steering Lock Relay(B2607) fault code not the Steering Lock Status(B2612) fault code. So a good technician going to find out you was taking the fuse out (or he will investigate a power supply fault at least.) and there is no fault with the lock itself. I would be surprised if they replace the lock anyway if they can not reproduce the fault at all.( all warranty questionnaire starts with this : did you confirm the customer complain?)

@ Doctor Austin Are sure you want to take off one of the anti-thief feature of your car (the steering lock) because it may will have a fault in the future? I just thinking if your car stolen and recovered by the police later, than your insurance company find it out the steering lock been disabled with that connector what they going to say to you ?!