Might be time to let her go....

ChristopherJames

Hi all,

After going to see a mortgage advisor today I'm thinking it might be time to let the car go. Its not something that i want to do as i love it (bar the ever growing petrol prices)

The thing I'm struggling with is what i could replace it with. Due to running costs the prices of zeds has fallen dramatically and i think i would be looking to get around £5,000 for my car and what can you get for that money? Absolutely nothing! Or nothing that i would be happy with.

So do i get rid of the car to help fund the house or do i try and brave it out?

Its not a decision easily made but its looking ever more likely that the car will have to go :-(

If you think its going to be a struggle then sell the car, you can always get another a few years down the line.

You need to have a think about what to replace it with and work out the difference. You may be surprised that your Zed may not be that much more to run :shrug:

I suggest you see another Mortgage Broker.

Me. ;)

Sarnie likes to blow his own trumpet. But he will give a rock bottom rate so well worth a quote

House is much more important than any car so give it priority.

If you do decide on selling up tell us what you need in your next car and wel give you suggestions

Thanks for the comments, It's a big decision for me and not one that I'm going to rush into.

I am weighing up how much it would save me if anything at all. I'm only 25 and wouldn't be able to drive a standard car (I know compromises have to be made but my car is my hobby) Its not like I cant afford my car and the mortgage its just with the running costs getting ever higher I wonder if it would be better to change the car now or try and stick it out.

I will PM Sarnie now to see if he can work his magic :-)

Thanks for the comments, It's a big decision for me and not one that I'm going to rush into.

I am weighing up how much it would save me if anything at all. I'm only 25 and wouldn't be able to drive a standard car (I know compromises have to be made but my car is my hobby) Its not like I cant afford my car and the mortgage its just with the running costs getting ever higher I wonder if it would be better to change the car now or try and stick it out.

I will PM Sarnie now to see if he can work his magic :-)

Good luck mate :thumbs:

I suggest you see another Mortgage Broker.

Me. ;)

Do this ^

Also, you can get some awesome cars for 5k, I wouldn't trade my Celica GT4 for anything right now :) and she cost 4k with forged internals, with some work needed sure but that's easy enough to put together as you go along.

I am of course bias, but an EP3 Type R would fit your requirements.

Can be bought for 5K(or less) in very good nick, 200bhp, but lighter than a Z, so good performance. You may hate the lack of lower down torque though. The K20 engine if looked after never breaks and my cars only cost me £220 in 1.5 years. Insurance is reasonable, I think similar to a Z when I was quoted for one. Practical too.

You would suffer in terms of ride comfort and toys, but on a B road would be made up for in fun, they handle very well. Disadvantage to VTEC is low down torque, advantage is good fuel consumption at low revs, which would help your cause further. Only £270 a year for tax also.

May not be your cup of tea, a lot of people it isn't, but was flicking through the threads and as soon as I read this I immediately thought EP3.

Ideally you should pick up a modified one, still cheap, but with the K100/KPRO the power is spread all over the range i've heard, and some people even report increased fuel consumption.

i had a 350z, went for a CTR, then came back for a 350z HR

the 350xz costs me £20 a week more petrol, £200 more a year tax and the insurance is same... id rather pay £100 a month extra and have a zed... yeah u might have to change tyres, it may cost £50-100 more e.t.c.

basically, it hardly costs much more to run a zed so keep it!

oh and im 27 and have a mortgage/council tax/sky all the bills and am a london bus driver and still manage :p im sure u can