Taxed to death

douglasr

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but he's got a cracking right hand :)

You are thinking of Prescot I think..

This "green" issue is just pathetic. My Z does about 5k per annum - its an 05 (or 55 cant remember) and its got just under 9k on it now. Yet I can expect to be hit for this gas guzzler tax even though a diesel ford mondeo tramming up and down the motorway will be spewing out more CO2 in a year than my "gas guzzler".

Brilliant.

The logic behind this is just bonkers. As Ill bet most "gas guzzlers" are in a similar situation to my own, they will do less miles, as they will be sunday cars, show cars, weekend runabouts etc.

So badging it as a "green" measure is just daft.

Ive a good mind to buy a car engine, stick it on a workbench and run the bloody thing 24 hours a day just to off set the emissions that Im being charged for and not pumping out with the Z.

Two fingers up to Gordon.

Ive a good mind to buy a car engine, stick it on a workbench and run the bloody thing 24 hours a day just to off set the emissions that Im being charged for and not pumping out with the Z.

lol! I know what you mean though - it's not a green tax, it's just yet another tax for making the government more money "disguised" as a green tax.

If they were serious, they'd put the additional tax on petrol and let people decide whether to drive (and pay for petrol), use public transport, walk/use a bike, or even not bother with the journey at all.

Instead, there will be people who will use their cars more to try to make better value of the excessive amounts charged by their road fund licence (even that name is a joke, considering how much goes on the roads!!).

It *really* gets on my tits, this!

Gordon can't afford to put the Fuel Duty up at a time when he hopes the country will welcome him with open arms as our leader. So he does this instead...

Think about it logically. High powered car owners are expendable. We account for a fraction of the cars on the road so raising RFL on these vehicles is an easy win for Gordon; he gets an extra £44m (based on the BBC's claim that this will affect 220000 vehicles) and it only costs the Labour party a small number of voters, most likely in non-Labour wards. The rest of the country (stupidly) think he is a 'green' politician and every one's a winner...

Apart from us.

Don't you just love living in a free world?

If Gordon Brown was a truly radical politician, he would do what Bush has done and ignore the Kyoto Agreement. Once the oil is gone, its gone and the world will no longer need to rely on the most unstable region on the planet for energy.

Therefore WE, the gas-guzzler-owners are the true environmentalists as WE are helping to change the world. How? By speeding up the demise of oil as a source of energy. We are accelerating the need for change and to release the worlds economies from the tyranny of OPEC and ultimately forcing car maunfacturers to truly INNOVATE in alternative fuel technologies.

Prolonging the reliance on oil is, frankly, absurd. Use it up. Quick.

The alternative to this is also too radical for mainstream politicians and that is to introduce a carbon allowance for every member of the population. But that will never happen because that would affect everyone in the country and politicians don't want to p!$$ everyone off or they won't get elected...

The whole environmental issue is just a means for getting politicians elected.

Regards,

fM

PS Does any one care to help me down from my soap-box?

Gordon can't afford to put the Fuel Duty up at a time when he hopes we will welcome him with open arms as our leader. So what to do? Wrap it up as an environmental measure instead.

We gas-guzzler owners account for ~5% of the cars on the road so raising tax on these vehicles is an easy win for Gordon; he gets an extra £44m (based on the BBC's claim that this will affect 220000 vehicles) and only p!$$3$ off a small number of voters, the rest think he is truly a green politician and every ones a winner...

Apart from us.

That's democracy in action. We live in a free world.

If Gordon Brown was a forward thinking politician, he would do what Bush has done and ignore the Kyoto Agreement. Once the oil is gone, its gone and the world will no longer need to rely on the most unstable region on the planet for energy.

Therefore WE, the gas-guzzler-owners are the true environmentalists as WE are helping to change the world. How? By speeding up the demise of oil as a source of energy. We are accelerating the need for change and to release the worlds economies from the tyranny of OPEC and ultimately forcing car maunfacturers to truly INNOVATE in alternative fuel technologies.

Prolonging the reliance on oil is, frankly, absurd. Use it up. Quick.

So go forth, fellow Zedders, in the knowledge that you are eco warriors.

Regards,

fM

PS Does any one care to help me down from my soap-box?

Nah youre doing a great job Braveheart ;)

This does my head in :rant: . This country apparently makes up 2% of the evil gases that the world produce, yet we are getting taxed on bloody everything to help resolve the greenhouse affect (aledgedly). I'm all for aiding the environment, but it's about time some of the big countries start taking their share of the problem. :angry:

I work in Norway, and talking with the guys here the tax they pay out we would freak.

Fuel is the same as here.

Tax on new cars is 40% a basic citroen picasso is £31,000 to buy.

Wiskey is £40 bottle.

4 pack cans of beer from suppermarket is £12

Food is double uk prices.

Pay is about the same as uk and tax rates the same.

They sell the gas to the uk to burn and turn into electricity, then buy it back due to the fact that they dont want the smoke in there environment.

They sell the gas to the uk to burn and turn into electricity, then buy it back due to the fact that they dont want the smoke in there environment.

This brings nicely round to the carbon credit thing they are discuss. Norway will sell theirs back to the UK and probably made a profit for their power.

Guy

Well - its here....

Tax on highest poluting vehicles £400 as of next April.

Can't find any details on what the emissions levels are and the vehicle registration dates affected though...

Im sure we will find them somewhere though.

Is that finalised now :cry:

According to the budget yes.

Here is the link to the full budget report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/p ... report.pdf

Sections relevant to the owners of the 350Z are 7.78 on page 191.

• raising the rate for the most polluting cars (band G) to £300 in 2007-08 and

£400 in 2008-09; and reducing the rate for low-carbon band B cars to £35 in

2007-08, with that rate then frozen for the subsequent two years;

• raising the rates for graduated bands C-E, cars registered before 2001 and all

light goods vehicles by £5 in each of the next three years;

• raising the rates for graduated band F by £10 in 2007-08, then £5 in each of

the subsequent two years;

• in 2007-08 only, freezing the rates for motorbikes in the lower band with

higher bands increasing by £1-£2; and freezing VED rates for Heavy Goods

Vehicles (HGV), Special Types Vehicles, Combined Transport Vehicles and all

vehicle categories that are linked to the basic goods rate;7 and

• aligning the VED rates for petrol and diesel cars as the differential in nitrogen

oxides and particulate matter emissions for new cars is expected to fall to

close to zero once Euro V and VI emission standards become mandatory.

• Changes to this year’s VED rates take effect from 22 March 2007. All changes

in subsequent years take effect from licenses commencing 1 April in the

respective year.

Band G are vehicles with emissions levels above 225g/km and registered ON OR AFTER 23rd March 2006.

This means that any 350Z registered ON OR AFTER 23rd Marc 2006 is in Band G.

Thats £300 in 2007-2008 and £400 in 2008-2009

Changes to this years VED rates take place on 22nd March 2007 - THATS TOMORROW.

If you own a 350Z registered on or after the 23rd March 2006, you may want to get your road tax NOW.

I wanna strangle that F%CK!NG P!G GORDAN BROWN. :rant::rant::rant:

Hope he reads this, If I see him in public Ill knock his F^CK!NG Head off, I dont care if Police read this and charge me for it. This Country is becoming a joke to live in AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :angry:

Yes Val, we are. Well, its going up £10 this year and £5 next year and the year after.

Meaning pre 06 model owners will pay £205 next year, and 06 model owners who have cars registered on or after 23rd march 06 will be paying £400.

It also carries a little more importance for late 2005 owners too.

An 06 model (or 05 model) registered on or after 23rd march 06 will be subject to the £400 road tax next year.

An 05 model that could be as little as one month or less older than that car will only be subject to £205 in the same year.

Which means on the second hand market, people will REALLY have to want the subtle changes to the 06 model in order to choose one over a late 05 model.

When these cars are a few years old, the few months between registration dates will not concern many people, so the £195 difference in road tax each year will be a big factor to second hand buyers I think.

Barsteward...that's me fooked...

Mind you think about it, even at the £400 a year rate that's a whopping 56p per day more car tax. Do they really think this will have an impact? Wont stop me. It's purely a political statement which will have no affect other than riasing more tax revenue for the government.

PS: My Cossie does about 8 mpg on the track. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Gordon, and it's got no cats....:lol: Ironically this car is too old to be affected.