New Tyres - Now traction control is possessed

MK350Z

Hi Chaps

Hope I've put this query in the right area.

Got myself a pair of Falken 452's put on the rear about 3-4 weeks ago at Blackboots in Chesham. I had a pair of Potenza's previously.

Since I have been using the 452's, I have noticed when I turn right the traction control kicks in (mainly during deacceleration and not as frequent when i accelerate through a corner). It got frustrating so I've turned the TC off, and certainly makes for a more fun drive :D

Any ideas why this could be? I'm taking it back to Blackboots on saturday and thought I would arm myself with some possible reasons before going.

Cheers

Sounds like incorrect tyre profiles to me. What size tyres you got? Rears should be 245/40/R18 IIRC

Also, what have you got on the front (make) and how worn are they?

The tyre profiles for the rear are 245/45/18.

For the fronts, Im not too sure on the brand but there was at least 2-2.5mm of tread the last time I checked.

I'm no expert, so please forgive me if I'm wrong... But, with more wear (less grip) on the front tyres, would the car not be more prone to understeer, meaning the traction control wouldn't kick in as much as it would if the problem was rear grip?

Is it possible that you still have some release agent / grease on the new tyres? It might get better once you've done a few miles on the tyres?

I'm no expert, so please forgive me if I'm wrong... But, with more wear (less grip) on the front tyres, would the car not be more prone to understeer, meaning the traction control wouldn't kick in as much as it would if the problem was rear grip?

Is it possible that you still have some release agent / grease on the new tyres? It might get better once you've done a few miles on the tyres?

Haven't changed the front tyres as ive only owned the car a few months. But will check the tyre size. This wasn't happening before I replaced the rear tyres, so why would the front's now affect the TC?

Ive done about a 1000 miles on the rear set. If it was down to wearing the tyres, surely a 1000 miles would be sufficient? Anyone have any sandpaper? :)

The VDC has two types of intervention, straight traction control, which kicks in when it feels slip from the rears, and stability, which kicks in when it feels a difference in teh rotational speed between front and back. The first is entirely rear grip related, the second is more likely to fire due to incorrect rolling radii (unless you are doing some hero spec driving) :thumbs:

I run 18s on the front and 19's on the rear, rather than dicking about trying to figure what size tyres to use I just turned it off completely :lol:

List of possible issues:

1. Mixed tyres. You have different grip levels front to back, so it makes progressive driving awkward. You had this before, but you've changed brands again so you're still treading the unknown. What Bridgestone did you have on there before, RE040 or RE050? Massive differences between the two.

2. Tyre pressures. Check them.

3. Tyre sizes. As people have said above, check them.

4. Road conditions. Does this happen in the wet, the dry, or both? Every time round the same corner? You may find you're being a bit heavy footed and not adjusting to the road conditions as we swing from summer to winter.

Tread remaining has nothing to do with it,if the fronts are the wrong size,the TC system will be thinking the wheels are rotating at different speeds,and the TC will be going mad.

Have to dissagree there Daryl. We have seen any number or reports of traction control problems when there is a huge wear difference between the the front and rear tyres. Bear in mind the profile change going on aside from simple lack of grip at the front end that is likely to be triggering the TC. And that is not taking account of different tyre makes where the tyre structure/compound are not the same front to rear.

I would put money on things being fine if the OP puts a new 452's on the front as well.

Tread remaining has nothing to do with it,if the fronts are the wrong size,the TC system will be thinking the wheels are rotating at different speeds,and the TC will be going mad.

Have to dissagree there Daryl. We have seen any number or reports of traction control problems when there is a huge wear difference between the the front and rear tyres. Bear in mind the profile change going on aside from simple lack of grip at the front end that is likely to be triggering the TC. And that is not taking account of different tyre makes where the tyre structure/compound are not the same front to rear.

I would put money on things being fine if the OP puts a new 452's on the front as well.

You would wouldnt you! :boxing::lol:

Fair point though. :thumbs:

List of possible issues:

1. Mixed tyres. You have different grip levels front to back, so it makes progressive driving awkward. You had this before, but you've changed brands again so you're still treading the unknown. What Bridgestone did you have on there before, RE040 or RE050? Massive differences between the two.

2. Tyre pressures. Check them.

3. Tyre sizes. As people have said above, check them.

4. Road conditions. Does this happen in the wet, the dry, or both? Every time round the same corner? You may find you're being a bit heavy footed and not adjusting to the road conditions as we swing from summer to winter.

How did you know I have bridgestones? haha Have to be honest, i think they are but didnt know they type so i left the info out till i manage to check at home.

-It occurs in both wet/dry conditions

-It always happens on the same right hand corners.

-The car handled/cornered completely different the following morning after I had the tyres changed. Felt like it was on a ice rink despite the weather being warm & dry like previous days.

-And yes, I may be suffering from a lead weight foot (who owns a zed and doesnt? :) ) im just sad as I cant corner at F1 speeds in the rain

They are directional tyres, have they been fitted correctly?

Just to pick this up, us drifty types run directional tyres the wrong way round and certainly in the dry theres not a huge difference. If any, actually. ;)

OP, what youve just said doesnt make a lot of sense TBH - if it only does it when its going one way I might wonder whether youve got an overkeen ABS sensor or something (this is how the car detects slip) but going from it being planted to being like on an ice rink in the dry suggests major underinflation, alignment issues or even suspension damage. Id be tempted to take it back to wherever fitted the tyres and ask them what they think, cars dont just become undrivable overnight :shrug:

BTW, you have checked the tyres are the same size on each side, right? ;)

-The car handled/cornered completely different the following morning after I had the tyres changed. Felt like it was on a ice rink despite the weather being warm & dry like previous days.

-And yes, I may be suffering from a lead weight foot (who owns a zed and doesnt? :) ) im just sad as I cant corner at F1 speeds in the rain

Fair play for being honest :thumbs: Sounds very much like you're still running off the release agent on the tyres, it should get significantly better over time. Give it 500 miles and if it's still not sorted then you've got a different problem.

Give serious consideration to running FK452 at the front as well, it will make a massive amount of difference. Right now in the dry you'll oversteer, and in the wet you'll understeer. Probably the better way round to do it, but still...

Fair play for being honest :thumbs: Sounds very much like you're still running off the release agent on the tyres, it should get significantly better over time. Give it 500 miles and if it's still not sorted then you've got a different problem.

Give serious consideration to running FK452 at the front as well, it will make a massive amount of difference. Right now in the dry you'll oversteer, and in the wet you'll understeer. Probably the better way round to do it, but still...

Doubt its the release agent Dan, he says in an earlier post he has done 1000 miles since fitting ;)

OP, what youve just said doesnt make a lot of sense TBH - if it only does it when its going one way I might wonder whether youve got an overkeen ABS sensor or something (this is how the car detects slip) but going from it being planted to being like on an ice rink in the dry suggests major underinflation, alignment issues or even suspension damage. Id be tempted to take it back to wherever fitted the tyres and ask them what they think, cars dont just become undrivable overnight :shrug:

BTW, you have checked the tyres are the same size on each side, right? ;)

I'd go for these two personally.

Check the wheelnuts are tight, check the tyre sizes and direction, check and correct the pressures. Then you can look at sensors.

Is it a selection of right handers or is it only one? What does the car do there with the TC off?

• 2 months later...