Audi A8 airbag suspension....damn they're costly

HEADPHONES

A friend has a 56 plate Audi A8 3.0tdi.

Apparently it comes with fancy airbag suspension struts that lower the ride height at speed and raise it around town.

One has gone faulty.

Audi have quoted £1500 each just for the part and advise replacing as a pair and not just the front drivers side :scare:

Then there's the labour ontop :blink:

These fancy premium products sure do carry a premium maintenance cost.

To make matters worse his DPF filter is buggered (about a grand) and the 19s that came with it were replicas and have developed cracks :headhurt:

Suddenly my Zed looks like a budget car in maintenance terms.

It's like the 350 with Nissan. They want over 2k for a clutch when in reality you can buy it on here at 800 odd quid. Your friend should search owners clubs etc before forking out all that cash

£800 for a clutch?

Clutch flywheel combo, they go in pairs. It may even be cheaper as I haven't had to buy one yet.

Apparently it comes with fancy airbag suspension struts that lower the ride height at speed and raise it around town.

One has gone faulty.

Audi have quoted £1500 each just for the part and advise replacing as a pair and not just the front drivers side :scare:

To make matters worse his DPF filter is buggered (about a grand) and the 19s that came with it were replicas and have developed cracks :headhurt:

Similar to Mercs airmatic system then. Great ride quality when it works but your crying when it doesnt.

There are normally very reliable the A8 but when they do go wrong they are expensive. I'd doubt youll get the airbag from anywhere but a dealer though. Not the sort of thing euros are going to stock. Sounds like they have priced the shock and the airbag to me there, which do come individually.

One has gone faulty.

Similar to Mercs airmatic system then. Great ride quality when it works but your crying when it doesnt.

Words out of my mouth!

Painful, but you'd never be paying dealer prices anyway.

I'd rip it all out and fit aftermarket springs and dampers rather than fix that, and another one goes in a few months time :dry:

I keep hearing about this DPF filter problem on VAG cars... gonna have a read about it, but i certainly wont be buying one any time soon.

I'd rip it all out and fit aftermarket springs and dampers rather than fix that, and another one goes in a few months time :dry:

I keep hearing about this DPF filter problem on VAG cars... gonna have a read about it, but i certainly wont be buying one any time soon.

For £250 (variable depending on which model and engine) you can get a dpf delete and a remap to compensate for it. More power and more mpg without any of the problems

When the DPF light came up on the dash of my pathfinder I rang up WLMG and the service reception lady said. Go on a 30-50 mile drive maintaining 50mph as much as possible.

Stone the crows if she wasn't spot on! Drove from Raynes Park down A3 then M25 and the light went out and it was fine. Aparently you can turn it of via the serial port and it gets bypassed or something along those lines.

Euro Engine regs !!!

When the DPF light came up on the dash of my pathfinder I rang up WLMG and the service reception lady said. Go on a 30-50 mile drive maintaining 50mph as much as possible.

Stone the crows if she wasn't spot on! Drove from Raynes Park down A3 then M25 and the light went out and it was fine. Aparently you can turn it of via the serial port and it gets bypassed or something along those lines.

Euro Engine regs !!!

Ye all you're doing is burning off the crap that's built up from town driving. Hardly a fix, more an afterthought

For £250 (variable depending on which model and engine) you can get a dpf delete and a remap to compensate for it. More power and more mpg without any of the problems

Is it actually legal to remove a dpf when it's fitted as standard? Would think it would be even more obvious than decats too.

Euro Engine regs !!!

Ye all you're doing is burning off the crap that's built up from town driving. Hardly a fix, more an afterthought

One that often works. I just read up on the workshop manual as I still have it and it's quoted in there!

If you have a DPF and the light comes on it means the filter is filling up, a blast on the motorway will almost always clear it but if you ignore it or you are unlucky and it goes bang then yes it is easily £1k+ to fix :surrender:

I'm sure the A8 can be fixed a lot cheaper at an Indy centre and I bet you don't have to fix them as a pair either :lol:

Not sure about the latest regs but was fine a few years ago

Now my Leon FR is out of warranty I am tempted to get a Milltek DPF delete and remap, about £800 and should give the car around 250bhp and 470nm :scare: it also improves mpg slightly too. The only downside is of course when you boot it you get the trademark cloud of black soot which at the moment I don't.... Oh and the poor old front tyres :console:

Now my Leon FR is out of warranty I am tempted to get a Milltek DPF delete and remap, about £800 and should give the car around 250bhp and 470nm :scare: it also improves mpg slightly too. The only downside is of course when you boot it you get the trademark cloud of black soot which at the moment I don't.... Oh and the poor old front tyres :console:

You sure still dave? :)

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/gen ... -uk-13700/

Bit of a moot point really, I know a few people that have had it done and are fully insured with it listed as a mod, and pass MOT etc :shrug: like a lot of things it changes with the wind I guess....

As long as the engine produce less nox, hydrocarbons and particulates than MOT standards you will be fine. I should some cars should fly through but any made after euro 5 emissions standard may struggle.

Dpf's are what they call a serviceable item and are only expected last around 100k, much like early cats.

Bit of a moot point really, I know a few people that have had it done and are fully insured with it listed as a mod, and pass MOT etc :shrug: like a lot of things it changes with the wind I guess....

Let's bear in mind that the DOT are not going to advocate or give their assurance that modifying a cars emissions system is just fine and dandy......they will always fall on the side of caution.

Let's bear in mind that the DOT are not going to advocate or give their assurance that modifying a cars emissions system is just fine and dandy......they will always fall on the side of caution.

Very true, I spoke to a friend yesterday that had a DPF delete on his Leon FR over 3 years ago, no MOT issues, emmisions are fine :thumbs:

I have read of a few mishaps with the ECU control as it has to be fooled into thinking there is a DPF there and it's all good as going into regen without one can end in BIG problems :surrender:

I have read of a few mishaps with the ECU control as it has to be fooled into thinking there is a DPF there and it's all good as going into regen without one can end in BIG problems :surrender:

Have you seen a regen going when a car is stationary? I think you can get them to do it through VAGcom and it looks ermmmm interesting :scare: