Numberplate

JoshThePonce

The government legislation website begs to differ: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/schedule/3/made

I'd fight that if I were you; it's bollocks. Elsewhere on that site it specifies that none of the three-line styles are allowed on vehicles registered post 1/10/2001, but the double liners are not mentioned. I think you found an over-zealous cop.

DB

I couldn't say whether or not you'd have to go to court, I think it would depend on how the police responded to your objection. They might just admit they were wrong and leave it at that. I would have thought if you went to court and won you'd get expenses back as well, but really not an area I have had any experience with.

Personally I'd fight it just because I don't think they should be able to get away with bull***t like this (if everything happened the way you say it did). It looks like the rozzers saw your car (which let's face it isn't exactly inconspicuous) and though 'oooo goody, modified car let's have some fun'. It's happened to me before and I know it has happened to others on here as well, it's just wrong.

DB

Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that the policemen I refer to here are in the minority, I have several good friends In the police and have great respect for the job that the vast majority do very well.

My zed is a jap import yet I received a £60 fine last night because apparently it's illegal to have a square numberplate on the front of your car if it is after a certain year and can accommodate for a standard UK plate?...

Wrong

A square numberplate on the front of a car is NOT illegal in itself as noted here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:VwLatrMgmPIJ:www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx+bs+au+145d+pdf&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiGg_diU2DgTk3we5zcP8pk9-7JBsLLPl1RHFV6KPG-coDYEm5v3Ii8Y6U1JE3bLkwj19iNB05BPuuByhFvs3RN0bKr_dBLPkqOjxTFm9WTcOECZO1PFtJbCzl1lWrlmmaq32SJ&sig=AHIEtbTlOP1HhAGYbgXq0C-vQxAzuMdxgg

Check the spacing on your plate to see make sure it conforms i.e.:

11 mm all round

11 mm between characters

19 mm between rows

Then check that the following is also on the plate:

BS AU 145d

Manufacturer ID and postcode

At a guess it may be the last bit that let you down

Having to change my front plate too as it did not have the bs standard mark on it and also got told the spacing was too small by the cop, just measured it and its 11mm :rant: still going to change it as I did not get a fine just a ticket, I have to get signed by an mot station then post it off :dry:

incorrect spacing on the Aston..

I assume you mean between the 7 and the Tee ... well just to be devil's advocate:

The space between the 7 and the Tee is 11 mm at the top and 55 mm at the bottom, which is an average of 33 mm ... :)

I reckon you might get away with that argument dependant upon the intelligence of the inquisitor lol

Please discuss .......................... :p

To be serious though, I was pulled once in the Zed for that and had to get it changed PDQ; and several times in the TransAm which had an American style plate AË¥TAK