Do I need planning permission?

slimjim

Looking to make a few alterations to our garage.

The garage is at the bottom of the drive, separate from the house, about 5 meters away.

Basically, we are having a move around in the kitchen and I want to move the washing machine and dryer into the garage.

Which means digging a 750mm deep trench from the back door to the garage for lagged piping for water supply and water drain.

Plus, I want a side door in the garage, as it only has the standard garage door on it right now, for easier access.

Not going to be living in there or anything, or altering the look of the garage. Just want to put a side door in it.

The door would not be seen from the road or neighbours due to where I want it.

Do I need to talk to the council or anything for something like this? :shrug:

Cheers peeps... :thumbs:

... Which means digging a 7500mm deep trench from the back door to the garage for lagged piping for water supply and water drain ...

Simple answer is no ... but that trench you're proposing ... 7500 mm deep ? really ? ... I suggest you get some sheet piles, strongbacks and acrow props ready to prevent everything - the house and the garage - collapsing into the trench lol

PS I guess you mean 750 mm so you'll be OK :thumbs:

Good luck

Under building Regs - providing the garage is already exempt ie detached and less than 30m square - then you don't need Bldg Regs either

If it's either of those, then Bldg Regs will be required

Simple answer is no ... but that trench you're proposing ... 7500 mm deep ? really ? ... I suggest you get some sheet piles, strongbacks and acrow props ready to prevent everything - the house and the garage - collapsing into the trench lol

510qnmFvP4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Scottish rules are slightly different to those in England, where the current legislation controlling 'householder' extensiions etc came into force on 1st October 2008 ;)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Release ... e-06022012

From what you have described it is certainly highly unlikely you need planning permission for the work you have described. That assumes your property is not not subject of an Article 4 Direction (check with your local council planning department), which has the effect of removing normal permitted development rights.

This link gives a quick visual understanding for anyone wanting to carry out work to their home in England and Wales:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/house