Let the Modding Begin - New Wheels

Kev946

I've been looking into M6 bumpers and sills for my car and was pretty happy with my existing 19 inch sport alloys, then these came up and couldn't resist... :blush:

Genuine BMW M167 forged M wheels as fittied to the M6. In fact these were taken off a new car, so I also got the tyres as fitted to the M6 which are Michelin Pilot Sport 2's, all £900's worth.

These are 19x8.5 fronts and 19x9.5 rears fitted with 255/40's and 285/35's which are one size up from my exisiting size, so should easily be within tolerance. They are also supposed to be 4 pounds per wheel lighter and I suspect that's when compared to the standard 18 inch wheels so could be even lighter than my 19's. In fact the tyres will probably be lighter than my Bridgestone run flats. I'll weight them before I fit them.

PS: Also considering a quad exhaust setup, but there's so many options. At the moment I'm favouring an Eisenmann setup.

87b5_1.jpg

Some M6 pictures

2041214-5.jpg

2041214-4.jpg

2041214-3.jpg

Now they are cool mate!

Will love to see them on your can and also you HAVE to get the quad setup

They are sitting in the spare bedroom at the moment... :blush:

The standard quad on the M6 is 4x76mm. I can get the Eisenmann in that size or 4x83mm, so thinking of going the extra 7mm.

M6 bumpers

M6 wheels

M6 - like quad exhaust.

Trying to make your car look like something it isnt? :PB)

An M6..... :victory:

I've been considering AC Schnitzer Boody kits, but they are: -

a. Very Expensive, plus you need the £2k ACS exhaust.

b. Spoilers are Bolt ons, not full bumpers and can't be taken off, (glued)

c. May affect residuals as they are not to everyone's taste.

The 6 series does not have a BMW sport upgrade option for the bumpers as the 3 and 5 series has. The 3 & 5 sport bumpers look surprising like the M3 and M5 bumpers BTW. So it's either standard bumpers for the 6 or M6 bumpers. I prefer the M6 bumpers as the are quite subtle and should add some value. Also, I can always keep the old bumpers and put it back to standard if need be.

What I'm not going to do is re-badge it an M6... :thumbdown:

It's no different than fitting Nismo Bumpers to a Zed, e.g. doesn't make your car a genuine Nismo car.

Anyway, why am I justifying this to a Datsun owner...... ;)

Only joking....:lol:

Guest prescience

Kev9M6, I'm beginning to see why you got banned ;):p

Kev9M6, I'm beginning to see why you got banned ;):p

For liking another make of car.... ;)

PS: Don't get too touchy, It was a joke.....No offence hopefully taken.. :blush:

How about de-badging? I see a lot of new merc's over here get it done at the dealers.

Guy

But I'm happy for everyone to know it's a 650i. If I de-badged it they will think it's a fake M6 that's a 630i underneath... :thumbdown:

I might consider a subtle M badge..?

How about de-badging? I see a lot of new merc's over here get it done at the dealers.

Guy

But I'm happy for everyone to know it's a 650i. If I de-badged it they will think it's a fake M6 that's a 630i underneath... :thumbdown:

Take off the BMW badges Kev, some people will think it's a Datsun :thumbs:

Guy

Take off the BMW badges Kev, some people will think it's a Datsun :thumbs:

:lol:

How about NO....

Typical of you lot. I'm talking about wheels and bumpers and all you lot can think about is badges.....:lol::wacko:

Nah - I say keep the 650 badges.

Taking off the 650 badges and adding the M6 wheels, will just make people think you wish you had the M6 and are trying to hide the fact its a 650 or less.

The wheels are excellent, Ive seen them on a few M6's and they really do look nice. :thumbs:

Nah - I say keep the 650 badges.

Taking off the 650 badges and adding the M6 wheels, will just make people think you wish you had the M6 and are trying to hide the fact its a 650 or less.

The wheels are excellent, Ive seen them on a few M6's and they really do look nice. :thumbs:

I agree..... :thumbs:

But you could also say adding the M6 wheels to the 650i Sport will just make people think you wish you had the M6.

Sorry Kev.

You could go round in circles arguing this one. Personally if I were to mod a 6 I'd stay away from BMW kit and make the car mine. But that's just me. Knock yourself out Kev. I'm sure it'll look great.

Guy

But you could also say adding the M6 wheels to the 650i Sport will just make people think you wish you had the M6.

Sorry Kev.

You could go round in circles arguing this one. Personally if I were to mod a 6 I'd stay away from BMW kit and make the car mine. But that's just me. Knock yourself out Kev. I'm sure it'll look great.

Guy

I do wish I had an M6, just as every 3 series owner wants an M3. Just don't fancy the running costs, SMG fuel consumption, insurance etc.

As for kits, It's all about personal preference but for me it's OEM stuff over aftermarket stuff. I like the ACS stuff but it's sooo expensive and a bit rad.

Nice wheels Kev!

I agree with Chesterfield, keep badges. It doesnt mean just because you put M6 wheels you want an M6!! Also I dont think adding the Schnitzer kit would cause any problems in resale, in fact IMO (if fitted proper as I m sure you will) it will make it easier to sell. In fact I wouldnt mind taking it off you!! If the Schnitzer exhaust is £2.5k, I would get a similar (or identical) design one made up from Powerflow & would only cost maybe £300 to £400. After all this, whats the next mod, a remap :scare::thumbs:

If the Schnitzer exhaust is £2.5k, I would get a similar (or identical) design one made up from Powerflow & would only cost maybe £300 to £400. After all this, whats the next mod, a remap :scare::thumbs:

On the ACS, the rear bumper valance is shaped to suit the ACS tail pipes which are a bit special so unlikey to be able to reproduce, (very clever ACS).

Also, an after market exhaust isn't going to be cheap as it's a full twin system. Blue flame quoted me £650.

• 2 months later...

I did a trial fit of my new M6 wheels and tyres this weekend and decided to compare weights. I was amazed how much lighter the new M6 alloys and tyres are when compared with the exisiting ones.

Fronts Std 19's = 28.5kg M6 19's = 22kg saving 6.5kg each

Rears Std 19's = 30kg M6 19's 23.75 saving 6.25kg each

A total of 25.5kg saving which is Massive... :scare: This is 4 stone in old money.

I think the real reason for such a large saving in weight is for 2 reasons. One they are forged, and the fact that existing tyres are run flats and apparently have 3 times thicker tyre walls. This is all inspite of the fact that the new tyres are one size larger. :thumbs: