Loud ticking from engine - video attached. Help?

S1 HNK

Just had a quick look for the fuel damper but if i'm honest I have no clue what to look for.

Can anyone recommend any decent garages around Cheshire that might be worth taking it to? Is the Zed engine fairly basic stuff, I just dont want to go to a normal garage if there is someone local who really knows what to look for.

Getting pretty worried now. The car did come with a 3 month warranty but the trader is 4 hours away in Kent so its not like I can just pop in down there.

The dealer did get the car serviced again before I bought it just so it had all the stamps. Only oil and filter though so can't see them being able to mess that up.

Dont know what to do now :wacko:

Just had a quick look for the fuel damper but if i'm honest I have no clue what to look for.

Can anyone recommend any decent garages around Cheshire that might be worth taking it to? Is the Zed engine fairly basic stuff, I just dont want to go to a normal garage if there is someone local who really knows what to look for.

Getting pretty worried now. The car did come with a 3 month warranty but the trader is 4 hours away in Kent so its not like I can just pop in down there.

The dealer did get the car serviced again before I bought it just so it had all the stamps. Only oil and filter though so can't see them being able to mess that up.

First thing to do is contact the Trader and also send him the video.

You will be able to gauge how helpful he will be by his reaction. :thumbs:

He may ask you to take the car to local garage for diagnoses and perhaps fix.

Does your warranty cover you for breakdown cover?

Are you a member or RAC or similar?

Remember you don't have a problem until you have a problem.

Alex :)

First thing to do is contact the Trader and also send him the video.

You will be able to gauge how helpful he will be by his reaction. :thumbs:

He may ask you to take the car to local garage for diagnoses and perhaps fix.

Does your warranty cover you for breakdown cover?

Are you a member or RAC or similar?

Remember you don't have a problem until you have a problem.

Alex :)

Thanks Alex. I've got AA cover anyway so thats alright.

When i bought the car it came with a Motorplan Platinum 3 month warranty which covers up to a £1000. I'll give him a call and see what he says.

Really appreciate your quick responses here.

Again, to help your understanding of reported issues similar to yours see this one and in particular the posts by "presience"

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11785&hilit=tappets&start=0

Sadly, and like so many, this thread ends without feedback as to what was finally found/done to resolve the issue. But one thing in your thread that caught my attention when it said the trader had suggested he was going to give it service and given what is said on that link it may be worth finding out what oil the trader used in your car :shrug:

Although its not my part of the world we do get good reports on here about Lockwood and Greenwood that seem to be nearish to you (via the AA?) for a reliable check.

http://lockwoodandgreenwood.net/

I had that warranty and they were pretty useless. I tried to claim a few things and they always had excuses as to how i couldnt claim like only mechanical problems could be fixed and my problem was mechanical but was caused by a fueling issue so they wouldnt pay out. Hope all goes well for you tho and get contacting the trader :thumbs:

Just for the record the trader is being most helpful and wants to resolve the issue, I just dont want to be seen to be slagging off the trader as I'm not at all. He called the garage and they said they noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the engine sound etc.

Just got back from local garage and both mechanics who I know and trust said it didn't sound anything serious at all, he recommended making sure its got a decent filter in and getting the besrt oil I can as you can never be sure what oil was put it in by a garage.

Then took it to Nissan over the road who this mechanic knows the service manager. He came out and also said he didn't think it was anything to worry about, then another mechanic pulled in, in a 350z, we popped the bonnet and it didn't tick like mine but they all seem to sound a little tappy, ticky as most engines do.

Anyway, this mechanic listened to it and said he's heard that sound from 350z's before and its more than likely a sticky lifter? He also recommended ensuring decent oil and filter and then keep an eye on it but I had it from seperate mechanics that it wasn't anything to worry about and in fairness they all said they wouldn't have noticed the sound if the car came in to them for a service.

The sound does seem to slightly come and go or at least go up and down in terms of volume.

Mainly Mark and Alex (I value your opinions and I appreciate a video isn't the easiest way to diagnose) but if there is anything you would like to add or strongly disagree with then do please let me know.

Really appreciate everyones help on this, reminds me what a great community this is :thumbs:

Took it to a guy that Mark from Abbey motorsport recommended. Luckily he was only 10 mins from home and builds GTR engine so knew his stuff.

He listened to it with a stethoscope and said that he wasn't overly concerned with the sound. He told me to keep an eye on it and see if it was there from cold which it was. He then said that it now concerns him less (as it wouldn't be linked to oil pressure) and then went on to say what he thinks it would be which was far too technical for me but in essence he said 1000th of a mm out on an engine will cause that sort of that but nothing to worry about and no lasting damage.

I've been keeping an eye on it and its one of those things that sometimes I struggle to hear so its having an oil change and a nissan filter this week and then at least I know its got the best stuff in it.

Well after all that I did an oil change and put in some FUCHS Pro S 5W 30 following recommendations on here.

Now, no more ticking at all!! :yahoo::yahoo:

So it must have had the wrong weight oil in it, i'll be calling the trader as I'm not best pleased about that.

Anyway I can now just enjoy the car rather than worrying about it all the time.

What a bellend. As pointed out before traders skimp on parts when servicing, so it was highly unlikely he was using £50 worth of oil.

Glad you're enjoying it now mate and it's all sorted. It's a shame he drained the oil as thats what was in it :doh:

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

I had an oil change 2 weeks ago but it's not resolved my ticking noise ..

Mine doesn't sound as bad as the video .. it's more of a light tappy sound ...

I've got a service due in the next month so will try changing the oil for the FUCHS Pro S 5W 30 this time ...