Loud ticking from engine - video attached. Help?

S1 HNK

Hi guys, picked the car up yesterday and absolutely loving it, the nismo exhaust sounds incredible and its so much lighter to drive than my previous 2004 car.

Anyway today I was just at some lights and could hear quite a loud ticking from the engine. It does increase with rpm but obviously you only really hear it on idle.

Nothing changes if I depress the clutch (saw this in a previous thread) and I'm a bit concerned as its not just a light tappy sound. I've checked the oil and its good, was only just serviced. Car is a 2007 model - 296bhp.

I've attached a video to see if anyone can shed any light on this for me.

th_IMG_1785.jpg

Any thoughts guys? I'm totally useless when it comes to car mechanics but worried now in case its something serious!

Thanks in advance

Sounds like fuel damper, get a hold of the fuel line beside the damper on the rear of the engine driver's side and check for pulsing in rhythm with the noise.

Alex :)

Cheers Alex :thumbs:

will check it out in the morning and report back if you don't mind. I just know if I take it to a local garage they wont have a clue .

Sounds very heavy to me for a fuel damper,if you rev the engine does the noise follow the engine RPM?

It does sound quite heavy, that's why I'm concerned.

Yes it seems to although you can't really hear it with decent revs.

What you thinking mark?

Hey mate, just watched the video. I never noticed anything like that at all, can say for sure it wasn't there with me. I'm very OCD when it comes to noises that shouldnt be there, so I would have noticed that.

Parts used at the last service were supplied by zmanalex (so im sure its the correct oil) and were:

f1bfc228.jpg

The scare mongering on here is a joke. I seriously doubt it's '2 bent conrods' :lol:

He never said it was......that was just the noise his car made when it had 2 bend conrods

^^^ :thumbs:

I sincerely hope it`s not anything serious & I`m not in anyway trying to scare monger or diagnose the problem as a bend conrod, It could be any number of things from a fuel damper, a buggered lifter (not sure if the Vq`s have hydraulic lifters), slack timing chain, failed oil pump or a bouncy ball in the rocker cover. Either way it doesn`t sound good & I personally wouldn`t be driving/running the car