CHRIS HARRIS VIDEO: GT86 VS 370Z VS CAYMAN

pbomb

I love Chris Harris and his videos, but even I disagreed with the outcome of this one.

He's right about the 370Z though, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. There's very, very few times you can go 10/10ths anywhere these days, the argument that you shouldn't do so on the roads notwithstanding. That's pretty much what the car was designed for, and it does it very well. Interesting on his comments about the seat position being off, I was quite impressed with how much better than the 350 it was when I sat in Colin's.

The 370 is too heavy, but we all know that and the 350 was the same. We know the 370 sounds anaemic when pushed on as stock, that's why we all slap new exhausts on them. Putting it next to the 86 shows just how good looking the 370 is too, so no shame there.

Given that the Cayman S was on the PSS9 suspension, I'm even more surprised that Harris chose the 86. That is a seriously good set of dampers and springs there, much better than the PASM setup Porsche offer on the car, so his comments are of the highest praise. I still think you'd be mad to take the 86 over a used Cayman at the RRP of the Toyota.

Being cynical,I wouldn't assume necessarily that's what he really thinks,sometimes jounalists come to their conclusions for other reasons.

Chris is as honest as they come. It's why he constantly gets slated for liking Pork, as well as being firmly off Ferrari's Christmas card list. He's got enough kudos now to say what he thinks, even if it's not really what he should be saying.

I think I'm alone in this but I dont see what the hoo ha is with Chris Harris. I dont find him that informative, funny or clever he is boring and average. He is probably a nice guy in real life and Im sure he knows his stuff but his videos are pap.

i pestered my mate in wales today , who has a 370....my feeling is i prefer 350's, i thought the 370 was just too heavy , everything seemed delayed in comparison to my 350, but in a straight line the power was more impressive...is this shared with other 350 drivers?

I can only echo what others have said before regards the 370, I have found it the proper step up from the 350. When I have put my foot down it effortlessly doesn't let me get into trouble, whereas a few times I would feel the back of the 350 going and I never drive with TC off.

The 370 just has far more technology there to help you out and I for one would never need more performance than this.

The reviewer seems to base excitement on getting the car squirming when cornering and if you watch that video that's certainly the case for the 86, but if I were ever to do that your arse is going at a rate of knots and that is not what I call excitement, but fear ;)

I prefer it when I drive spiritedly that I am planted on the road.

i pestered my mate in wales today , who has a 370....my feeling is i prefer 350's, i thought the 370 was just too heavy , everything seemed delayed in comparison to my 350, but in a straight line the power was more impressive...is this shared with other 350 drivers?

Nope cant agree, hence why I bought a 370z and so did many others :lol: The 370z is much less of a brute, much more precise than the 350z. This can make it feel a little "dull" as it can effortlessly wisk you around at great speed. But when you get her up and dancing though the corners it feels amazing. But at normal speeds it doesnt feel as involving as the 350z. Thats kind of where the GT86 makes its point, it should be more involving and fun at slower speeds than cars that are so planted you can go flat out almost anywhere in the UK at the speed limit.

A bit stage left I guess - but if I am really honest about it, I have yet to comprehensively beat the all round driving pleasure I used to derive from my Alfasud Ti on the right road. However, if you looked at the bhp (around 95 I recall) or the 0-60 time and almost any other numbers, you would find it hard to believe (including the rubbery sprung gear change which really had to be mastered).

Visibility is quite an issue on B roads and it is a downside to Caterhams and Elises etc. I really like "feelsome" cars that you have to pedal along a bit, whatever they are, so I like the sound of the GT86 even though I haven't tried one. I think Toyota's thinking was to leave the power "issues" to the aftermarket providers.

Just a personal opinion but I wouldn't touch the GT86 - looks positively pedesterian to me - doubt most people will give them a second look on the road. One of the reasons I love the Z is that it's a head turner. Like Will mentioned in his earlier post I live in an area where TTs, Caymans etc are quite common. All nice cars but the Z gets way more attention because it's rare as well as being a good looking car.

Also worth remembering that while Chris Harris didn't like the Z, 99% of reviews have been very positive. :)