Decats vs HFC's

smudgedon

Which do/would you have?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which do/would you have?

• Decats
    • HFC's

Just wanted to get an overall feel for people's preference

Obviously the decats are cheaper and louder, but you need a friendly MOT'er and a bit of luck with the police

HFC's are more expensive but fully legal

So what have you got/what would you opt for?

I went for de-cat pipes from H-dev and then bought the Motordyne XYZ Y pipe. not the cheapest way of doing it but it is (in theory) still legal as the y pipe has a high flow cat in it. also I got it with the straight section that can be easily swapped in a matter of minutes for a completely straight through effect.

I really like it as a set up but i have kept the hf cat in as it is a bit too much without any sound deadening at all :thumbs:

Or if you want the best of both worlds....

Motordyne XYZ pipe with race cat, then add de-cats. Passes MOT passes a great sound, a few on here have now opted for this option but budget £500 for parts then labour on top.

Motordyne XYZ pipe with race cat, then add de-cats. Passes MOT passes a great sound, a few on here have now opted for this option but budget £500 for parts then labour on top.

^^^^^^^ :lol:

I just said that :lol:

I think if you want to buy XYZ and decats as new and pay to get it fitted you need more like £6/700.... £550 for XYZ alone. I fitted mine all myself, not to hard

I was lucky to get it second hand off a forum member :thumbs:

$610 you're looking at £390 + tax delivered.

Cheaper I'd say :thumbs:

Yeah that's not too bad at all. As i got mine second hand though i tried it with the straight pipe first and it was just a bit too much for me :drive1

I want a Nismo like Steve though to finish it off as i only have Toyosports centre and rear sections. The Nismo sound is :cloud9: but ££££ :lol:

I'll be there just for you ;)

Yeah right... :lol: you'll be there for the same reason the rest of us are :drive1

Think the plan now is decats, motordyne xyz, nismo centre n backbox

££££ worth it though. listen to steves Nismo but imagine it with the roar of my system.... :cloud9:

Have a word with Steve about Nismo. I just dont know how long it would take me to save. I'm planning on taking my car off the road over xmas to try and get some bits done that are hanging around.

Want it slightly louder than this, and this is with Berk HFC's apparently

I bet that's louder than the video shows :stir:

Sounds nice though :p

Yea, I have a Milltek which is about the same as a Nismo in terms of volume, and with Berks as well it is about as loud as I want it. Any louder and I think I'd be getting polite words from the neighbours/look like a knob. From the exhausts I've heard (on all cars not just zeds), I can't honestly say I've ever noticed decats to make a nicer noise, they just seem to make it louder and raspier. My vote goes for the HFCs to save you the ballache come MOT time.

DB

decats sound like a chav wagon and with the new changes in the MOT laws are completely illegal unless your car is a track only tool.

the difference in numbers with an uprev with decats over HFC is about 9 bhp you couldn't feel the difference, it just makes for pub bragging rights.

just go HFC's or do the sensible thing and go XYZ pipe. at least the change over is minutes, not hours.

Motordyne XYZ pipe with race cat, then add de-cats

+1 and apols if anyone has mentioned this (on phone so might have skipped bits of the thread!) but this set up is OEM quiet when cruising on the motorway but nice and vocal when you floor it :teeth:

• 4 months later...

Louder than that you'll need a K1 with de-cats.

As said the video won't portray the sound as your ears would.

Here's my setup, at 1:30min you'll get the tunnel :yahoo:

Nice little drive round the city you should of gone through queens way tunnels ;)

Edited by ChickenFB

Louder than that you'll need a K1 with de-cats.

As said the video won't portray the sound as your ears would.

Here's my setup, at 1:30min you'll get the tunnel :yahoo:

Nice little drive round the city you should of gone through queens way tunnels ;)

At the time they weren't on my way home from work, but I know what you mean, they're pretty epic tunnels.