washing the car in the rain?!

FUG

Well, what with this awful summer weather and the tendency for me to wash and wax the car for the heavens to then open up and undo all my hard work i have now resorted to washing my car during rainfall!

I still pre wash the car and then car shampoo\wax then wash off, all whilst raining it ensures that the car stays wet enough to not dry as it would in direct sunlight and i do away with drying the car myself with a chamois or similar. This make for a very quick wash session! I just leave it alone and the car dries gradually itself once rain stops normally leaving very little if not no dry water spots.

Firstly is this ok to do? The rain is clean enough i assume. And for a quick wash makes perfect sense. Obv the finish isnt as great as say doing it in the dry, drying and clay, polish etc but hey i havent got time to do that every week and until summer finally comes there aint much point!

I would try to clean in between showers, you will notice that the rain, once dried, will leave rings of dirt on the car, if you use the rainwater you will be rubbing this into the car. I clean my car weekly, its got a great layer of supernatural wax on it as well which just beads the rain off but feel its important to keep it clean even when in rainy season to make sure none of the gunk that falls with the rain settles on the paintwork especially important if you are parking near or under trees etc.

I wash and clay cars in the rain regularly. Just be sensible about it and it's fine. I wouldn't chamois a car anyway and certainly wouldn't do it on rain water.

Wash and leave though is a winner in the rain! :)

Yeah I think its the route to go!

I think a lot of people don't do it just because they don't want to get wet :surrender:

I don't like to chamois generally, normally its a micro fibre towel or mitt but recently washed the car round the girlfriends with cheap sponge and chamois and I've noticed swirl marks on the back bumper now :rant:

Will be investing in some megz ultimate compound I think!

if you rinse with rain water from something like a water butt you will find you don;t get water marks. its hose water that leaves water marks due to the minerals in it. rain water does not, but sometimes rain water can carry other particles like very fine sahara sand. hence why i said water but as usually the water is still and particles fall to the bottom and crap floats on the top, the stuff you get out the tap is then very good for rinsing cars.

;)

Hmmm...mixed opinions here

I have washed in the rain a few times, finish is ok just for basic wash. The one time I did put swirls in the paint work was wash in the dry but that was down to poor equipment :bang:

Washed the car sunday, filthy already now :(