Driving Shoes?

brillomaster

Tried a search on this, but there werent that many topics, and so i thought i'd start a more reasoned discussion...

What does everyone drive in these days? I ask because my current driving shoe, the humble dunlop green flash, is great, but I get through them quite quickly! Now that i need to replace them, im wondering if i should try stepping it up to something like a puma speedcats, or some pilotis... but what experiences do people have with proper 'driving' shoes? Is it noticeably different to just a regular pair of thin soled trainers, ie, converse, dunlop or vans?

Problem is i really dont want to splash the cash to find i dont like them for driving... and if they would be fairly comfortable for casual wear as well that'd be a bonus!

It depends on what car I'm driving and what mood I'm in. On trackdays when in a Caterham, I've got a trusty ol' pair of Sparco race shoes (sadly now out of manufacture) that I've had for years from my first ever trackday, and they're utterly perfect. They also come out to play when I get up very early on a sunny Sunday morning and feel like going out for a serious blat in the MX-5, as I want to keep control and finesse to a maximum. I do also have a pair of Converse that were bought for that purpose, to avoid me having to drag the Sparcos out of my kitbag, but I just don't find them as comfortable or secure.

Aside from those, I've got a pair of huge Vans thick-soled trainers. They look like the most useless things for driving in, but somehow they let enough feel through as well as giving the ankle a lot of support that they've rapidly found their way towards becoming my go-to pair of shoes I put on when in the 911. Feel isn't that important in this because there's no clutch, so I can use something more supportive as my feet have a pedal each, so there's less movement involved which can lead to cramp.

A pair of Speedcats is usually the answer to your question as a rule, but I've never tried them myself. I do fancy a pair of Piloti Prototipo though...

Hmm i am swaying towards the speedcats to make a change from my usual shoe... as long as i can do them up tight enough so they dont move around, nice thin sole and good slim profile we're on to a winner! Obviously need to try them on first, will need to find a store that stocks them round here!

Hmm i am swaying towards the speedcats to make a change from my usual shoe... as long as i can do them up tight enough so they dont move around, nice thin sole and good slim profile we're on to a winner! Obviously need to try them on first, will need to find a store that stocks them round here!

http://www.sportsdirect.com/storelist?l ... gdom&sd=10

Check on-line for full range though. Puma have a decent sale atm ;)

British Military combat boots for me normally. Saying that, I actually drove mine in flipflops a few weeks back as I just needed to move it around on the drive. My god. Scariest thing ever. No control what so ever. God knows how my missus drives her car in flipflops and sandles! :scare:

I tend to just use plimsoll type light trainers (such as converse) which i find best. Is there really a massive difference with the Pumas etc in normal cars?

My next piece of clothing apparel will definitely be some leather driving gloves for the Jaaaagggg though :D

I tend to just use plimsoll type light trainers (such as converse) which i find best. Is there really a massive difference with the Pumas etc in normal cars?

Soon find out! Just impulse bought me some of these beauties :D

PUMA Drift Cat 4

50% off, plus an additional 20% off that makes them a very reasonable £25.60 delivered, plus free returns if i dont like them. Gotta be worth a punt! Will report back if they make a marked difference to my old dunlops!

P.S. Cheers Ebized for the info :thumbs:

Soon find out! Just impulse bought me some of these beauties :D

PUMA Drift Cat 4

50% off, plus an additional 20% off that makes them a very reasonable £25.60 delivered, plus free returns if i dont like them. Gotta be worth a punt! Will report back if they make a marked difference to my old dunlops!

P.S. Cheers Ebized for the info :thumbs:

I'm just awaiting these anyday now in white/white/black atm that I got for £32.

http://www.shop.puma.co.uk/Motorsport-D ... e%3DUK_7_5

I do find the rounded heel design suits my oversize plates of meat for driving :D

I have a special pair of Puma shoes that were work travel issue in 2009. They look abit like this http://www.shop.puma.co.uk/Men%27s-Moto ... ribbon_red

But are leather and have 2 velcro straps. They were never sold (that I could find,label inside says Red Bull F1,Motorsport sample) but are amazing for driving in,and i use them when I do long trips or track days. Try not to wear them too much,as i dont want to throw them away.

Isn't it terrible when people on here know you better than you think they do :blush:

damn - they beat me to it - was just hunting out a suitable photo with SMD's name on it :blush::lol: