Gaming PC

Topcat

have you looked at the amd range of CPU's, should be cheaper than intel for similar performance :) (well it was the last time i build a pc)

also AMD should be launching the new CPU's soon so the older ones might come down in price,worth a thought :blush:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

^^ a few bench marks for cpu/gfx card etc :)

AMD has been behind by a long way for quite some time now. Since Intel released the Sandybridge processors in late 2010 - early 2011, AMD got pretty much sunk as these have completely outperformed in both performance itself and price.

If AMD do come in and launch something new soon, it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Ivybridge Intel stuff, but as of right now there is no real comparison.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought i might be outta touch :blush:

to the average user tho would they actually notice a difference if all they want to do is a bit of gaming :shrug:

am more than happy with my OLD amd x3 720BE with a newly installed nvidia 670 gfx card, plays all my games at full HD res no problems :teeth:

thought i might be outta touch :blush:

to the average user tho would they actually notice a difference if all they want to do is a bit of gaming :shrug:

am more than happy with my OLD amd x3 720BE with a newly installed nvidia 670 gfx card, plays all my games at full HD res no problems :teeth:

I think even the average user will notice a significant difference between an AMD and an Ivybridge Intel at the moment, but that wouldn't really be a fair comparison because of the current gap between the two. The way with these two is that they continually spur the other on. It wasn't all that long ago when AMD's first 2/4/6 core processors were lightning years ahead of the contemporary Intel ones (~2005 - 2008). I'm sure AMD will come out with something awesome like they have recently done with their new graphics cards which came and wiped the smirk off Nvidia with superior performance on every count for a fraction of the price.

Iv'e played some of the beta weekends of Guild Wars 2 and I think it's awesome, mainly played theif and guardian. I have some great memories of the original Guild Wars.

My system can handle about medium settings it's quadcore 2.4, win7 64bit, 4gb ram, gt9800 1gb - which is now rather outdated.

I looked at buying a new one but decided against it (or maybe my wallet did)

Hopefully see you in game :p

I wouldn't remotely bother building a PC these days. Not much saving to be had any more, and you lose the risk of something going belly-up during the buid or trying to hunt down the piece of kit that doesn't work and sending it back.

I used to build my own about 10 years ago, with flashy lights and windows and everything, but nowadays I just want something that works.

What? there is a hell of a lot of money to be saved. Most things are compatible these days.

I second the don't go with Dell advice. Their customer service is pants and they sell underpowered, soon to be out of date, PCs to people who don't have a clue what they're buying (me included once).

I had my current PC built by a company called Dino PC. http://www.dinopc.com/

I paid a bit extra for their express service and the thing was with me in a few days. You can customise the components to suit your needs and budget. I was well impressed by their service and very happy with the PC.

Here's some reviews http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.dinopc.com :thumbs:

What? there is a hell of a lot of money to be saved. Most things are compatible these days.

Not in my opinion, and not a patch on what you could save 10 years ago. Too many companies out there now, and it's driven pre-built prices down a lot.

Still a lot of money to be saved out there. When I compared my rig spec that I built to the online prices of a number of these customising companies, I was still getting a lot more computer for a lot less money and compared to places like Dell, we are talking multiples rather than percentage differences.

The margins there must be pretty healthy as I'm assuming they can source their components at a much cheaper price than my buying on ebuyer.

I guess it depends on how you define less money. For me personally, if it's only another £100 I'd rather let someone else faff around for that, but if we were talking a £500 saving then I'd give it a punt myself.

Each to their own, I know that people do get pleasure from building their own computers. I know I used to :)

I guess it depends on how you define less money. For me personally, if it's only another £100 I'd rather let someone else faff around for that, but if we were talking a £500 saving then I'd give it a punt myself.

Each to their own, I know that people do get pleasure from building their own computers. I know I used to :)

Totally agree, years ago i would have built my own, partly for fun and partly because i saved a lot. Now the saving is not that great, you get a good warranty and if there any problems they take it back and deal with it. Also going with a bundle that has been tried and tested rather than me pick and mixing components is not an issue.

Iv'e played some of the beta weekends of Guild Wars 2 and I think it's awesome, mainly played theif and guardian. I have some great memories of the original Guild Wars.

My system can handle about medium settings it's quadcore 2.4, win7 64bit, 4gb ram, gt9800 1gb - which is now rather outdated.

That's good to know what settings you can use at that spec, i was hoping on playing more towards the higher settings.

I never played the first guild wars, was on warcraft for a few years, but reached end game raiding and got bored.

You'll have to let me know what server you are joining, only a few of my friends are getting it.

I second the don't go with Dell advice. Their customer service is pants and they sell underpowered, soon to be out of date, PCs to people who don't have a clue what they're buying (me included once).

I had my current PC built by a company called Dino PC. http://www.dinopc.com/

I paid a bit extra for their express service and the thing was with me in a few days. You can customise the components to suit your needs and budget. I was well impressed by their service and very happy with the PC.

Here's some reviews http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.dinopc.com :thumbs:

That's a good call mate, they seem cheaper than most, have made the same PC for £650 on their that was costing £750-£800+ on other sites.

Thanks! :thumbs:

Not in my opinion, and not a patch on what you could save 10 years ago. Too many companies out there now, and it's driven pre-built prices down a lot.

£100 to me is a lot of money. Plus it's never like for like 10 years ago people who bought budget pcs had 5400rpm drives. DDR-333 rather than 400 always a cheap mobo that was impossible pretty much to upgrade.

That's good to know what settings you can use at that spec, i was hoping on playing more towards the higher settings.

I never played the first guild wars, was on warcraft for a few years, but reached end game raiding and got bored.

You'll have to let me know what server you are joining, only a few of my friends are getting it.

It's mainly the graphics card that is lacking in my setup, get anything over a gtx 560 and you'll be sound

I played on the 'ring of fire' server so will probably try join that one again

I have never played WoW so not sure how it compares :p took me some getting used to after not playing for so long.

Looks like i have underestimated my budget for what i want, so i've ended up making the below spec P.c

Customizations:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 Water Cooler

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

RAM: 8GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengeance (2x4GB)

Hard Drive: Corsair 120GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Additional Storage: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R

PSU: 700W Xigmatek

Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Warranty

Product Subtotal: £1,117

Maybe a few things that are a bit overkill? Or maybe even need upgrading if anyone has any thoughts?

Was thinking of maybe making the SSD 240Gb to facilitate future game updates and give a bit more scope to load a few more things on to it. only £80 more than the 120GB.