1st and 2nd gear

DaJimstar

Hi all, when I 1st got the Z it was a little difficult untill warmed up, to get it into/change from first to second gear, as we know a common minor-issue. I have had the gear box and rear diff oil swapped out, and its made one hell of a difference. It is sweeeeeeet in transition now :drive1:drive1 .. Not used molyslip yet, just seeing how I got on with swap out :thumbs::thumbs: .. just sharing :drive1:drive1. Its a real real pleasure to drive now :clap::clap: Thanks to Alex and this forum for supplying me with info on this common characteristic.. B)B). Just sharing in case it helps someone else.

It's a common issue, to be honest mine could do with a oil swap and i put castrol stuff in last and its Sh1t.

:pmzmanalex: for Nissan gearbox and diff oils.

I changed mine a few weeks ago, but it didn't seem to make much difference. :shrug:

Should it sound like the gearbox is about drop out when changing into 1st and 2nd? I know that the Zed has a clunky transmission, but it always worries me as it's really loud.

I wouldnt just go out and buy a replacement gearbox though! Could be thats just as noisy and clunky as your current one. Even the fabled CD009 boxes are not as invincible as they are made out to be (although technically they are better), read somewhere about someone changing theirs out to one of these and it was just as clunky. As long as it doesn't interfere with your driving the noise should be something you can live with.

• 2 months later...

Is it fairly easy to slip a bit of Molyslip into the gearbox ?

I did it on my MR2, and it definitely felt a lot better afterwards. I'm just noticing the little clunk from 1st to 2nd as well, kept thinking it was my dodgy shifting :D

It's normal from cold Rob, you've probably noticed it disappears when it's warmed up :thumbs:

Hey Alex,

Gear box and diff oil changed recently, so all good there. Just want to squeeze a bit of moly in there.

:)

It's normal from cold Rob, you've probably noticed it disappears when it's warmed up :thumbs:

Yeah definitely noticed, I've seen that it's worth going from 1st to neutral, then to 2nd (d.declutching).

I'm heading to H.Dev in Nov so perhaps will get some sorted out then, rather than me tarting about in the cold :D

I'm heading to H.Dev in Nov so perhaps will get some sorted out then, rather than me tarting about in the cold :D

Nice one, Jez will look after you. What are you having done? I always planned to fit a plenum spacer and HFC's and uprev map it, but never got around to it......you won't see much of a power gain but the car should be even better to drive and listen to B)

Nice one, Jez will look after you. What are you having done? I always planned to fit a plenum spacer and HFC's and uprev map it, but never got around to it......you won't see much of a power gain but the car should be even better to drive and listen to B)

Heh, exactly what I'm intending to do but just need to give him a call, may need to postpone it now until the MR2 has gone.

doh