Front bumper painted

Sarahhp18

Had my front bumper painted because was slightly damaged & badly stone chipped but the colour looks darker now on the bumper. Almost has a purple tint in certain lights. My car is Azure blue, only thing I can think is he has put alot of paint on the bumper so has made it look darker. Anyone else had this problem?

Was the whole car with the body shop hen it was painted or just the bumper? Azure is a difficult colour to match. If it doesn't match take it back and get them to sort it. Any decent body shop should be able to get a close as anything match.

Its tricky to match some of the zed colours. If they didnt have the car at the time to get a perfect match then its just not going to happen. Sorry to say but you get what you pay for and a quick low cost job via a friend may not have been the best choice if you wanted a perfect result.

Wow, no wonder you were tempted that isn't even half price, it should have been on the car really for any chance of a good match :)

They just had the bumper, mirror & strut cover. Main problem is a friend did it for me at a really good price. Only cost me £120 so is abit of a difficult one.

If its a friend just say can he blend it in as the rest of the paint must have faded over time and you'll give him a bit of extra cash :thumbs: Blame the car not the painter and he probably won't have an issue with doing it for you!

I've got to go see him on Monday anyway because he is going to give the bumper a final buff whilst on the car due to it being fibreglass & wasn't too easy to hold & buff by himself. So will see what he says about the colour match.

A local body shop told me the paint doesn't go onto plastic the same as it does metal.... I guess that's why they need the car there to make sure the colour they get matches the car....?

I'm sure a body work expert will reply soon enough to confirm or disagree with this.... :D

Incidentally, the colour match the body shop got on mine was better than the original bumper! This was on my previous zed in leman sunset :)

HTH

I think it's very difficult to get an exact color match on plastic panels. Iirc it's something to do with how the paint flakes sit on the material. That said though, I had a bumper done (silver) without the car being with them and it was a perfect match and flawless finish all in for £110. Fitted it myself on return.

• 2 weeks later...