Elephant - What's the catch?

Posidrive

Just went to compare the market and the best quote was from Elephant. Almost fell off my chair. £281 per year with protected no claims for 18k miles per year and business use. £600 excess. Given that I paid £560 with Admiral last year, this just seems too good to be true even though I am an old fart (53 :) and live in boring Swindon.

Anyone with good or bad experiences with them?

Same company as Admiral.

Make a claim and they can be gash......they'll also put a god awful company called Albany Assistance in touch with you if you do have an accident DO NOT USE THEM.

Useless call centres largely populated with mongs.

Pretty sweet for the purposes of being legally insured to drive on the road though.

Someone has to be cheapest....

I would personally check -

Customer Care

Legal Cover

Hire Car etc if needed

Modifications if you have any or plan any

Protected No Claims i.e. vandalism etc

At the end of the day they are a business so they have to cut costs somewhere...

I never go with the cheapest quote until I check everything it's a bit like buying beans in the supermarket you get Heinz at 99p, own brand at 49p or value at 19p anyone that says they all taste the same is :wacko:

Same company as Admiral.

Make a claim and they can be gash......they'll also put a god awful company called Albany Assistance in touch with you if you do have an accident DO NOT USE THEM.

Pretty sweet for the purposes of being legally insured to drive on the road though.

Personally I found their call centres pretty good and I never had any issues with at least getting a correct policy, some other companies have been hopeless.

However, never had to claim so I can't say what they're like in terms of dealing with claims.

Same company as Admiral.

Personally I found their call centres pretty good and I never had any issues with at least getting a correct policy, some other companies have been hopeless.

However, never had to claim so I can't say what they're like in terms of dealing with claims.

Never used the call centre for getting a policy.....I can guarantee that it's the same as vodafone though....awesome sales platform backed up with dire customer service platform

Never used the call centre for getting a policy.....I can guarantee that it's the same as vodafone though....awesome sales platform backed up with dire customer service platform

Amendments they were good at too(mods) and noddy stuff like chipped windscreen.

But tbh, it is quite possible their claims service isn't good, however, i'd be more worried if they couldn't even get the policy right in the first place. That doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I'm really not sure who is good for claims, you won't know until you have to make one.

Tbh, if they're that cheap then who cares if the claims department is rubbish? As long as the ballache you get is less than a couple hundred quid worth, then you're still in the good. :)

Absolutely,.....bottom line......don't crash!

I am yet to come across any company that provides good after sales service (I'm taking about any company in any industry)

I am yet to come across any company that provides good after sales service (I'm taking about any company in any industry)

Not a single one? Really?

Anyway, i'm gonna see what admiral quote me this time round.

Your lucky! got a quote from admiral today £1,864 :scare: I'm 60 got 12yrs nc on van and 1 year on z, clean license no convics no points!!

sky and chris knott wouldn't even give a quote when I gave my postcode and i live in a small town 8 miles north of manchester!! :thumbdown:

waiting to hear from livingstone warman and prestige.

Not a single one? Really?

Anyway, i'm gonna what admiral quote me this time round.

Working on the basis of 'has done something to disappoint/annoy/disadvantage me'......honestly not one that springs to mind.

By good perhaps I mean has never made me say 'wow that's good'.

Working on the basis of 'has done something to disappoint/annoy/disadvantage me'......honestly not one that springs to mind.

By good perhaps I mean has never made me say 'wow that's good'.

Aftersales is about making good @*!# situations, imo quite a few companies are good at that.

Hope there is no catch, just got my policy from them moving from Admiral (same company) but they couldn't match Elephant - don't ask me why, even the operator couldn't explain it!

£430 for me... 27 in good area, pretty good deal I thought considering.

I consider all insurance companies the same, all daylight robbery and always go for the cheapest.

I was with Elephant 10 years ago when I was learning to drive. Cost me £1400 when other companies were quoting £4k :wacko: I had a claim with them in that first year for the car getting broke into and the dash ripped apart to get the stereo. £1300 worth of damage on a car that was valued at £1200 and they still paid to get it fixed without any hassle. I just phoned up their claim department and they sent me an email with the form, filled it out and they arranged for someone to come see the damage and give me the information on how to get it fixed. I could use any garage I wanted and just give the details to claim from Elephant. Was all sorted in a couple of weeks and back on the road.

The only thing I would ask you to look at is the term, make sure it's not for 10 months rather than 12. They so a NCB bonus thing where after a 10 month policy you get 1 years NC. Also if you're not going to be paying it in full, add about 50% on and that'll be your new premium after months payments.

I honestly don't know if they use UK call centres anymore, but I'm with Admiral now and although only phoned them twice, once to get the policy and once to amend it, both times were UK, and with Elephant being under the same corporate umbrella, I can only assume they are the same...

I honestly don't know if they use UK call centres anymore, but I'm with Admiral now and although only phoned them twice, once to get the policy and once to amend it, both times were UK, and with Elephant being under the same corporate umbrella, I can only assume they are the same...

I spoke to what sounded like a Yank/Canadian when I took out my new policy (outside of usual business hours). Pretty helpful etc but try and flog you a load of extras before you can take out the policy, couldn't just buy it online like usual.

From my experience insurance companies always have the best/highest trained English speaking operators when you take out policies & get quotes and the worst/incomprehensible operators when you come to modify/cancel etc... I wonder why? :lol:

They have specific area's of the business offshored such as the customer services for certain things (thats why you always get a million and 1 options when you call a call centre - so they can route it to the right country!).

Admiral group operate a 'spill over' policy after about 8pm as well.........calls trip from Cardiff or somewhere to the offshore operation.

Mostly scripted so anything out of the ordinary becomes difficult - not the chap or chapette at the other end of the phones fault like but can be frustrating.

I hate the fact that they insist on giving them anglacised names as well 'Hi you are speaking to Kevin' in a thick Mumbai accent........no thats not his name so don't demean the poor git who's probably already selling his well educated soul to speak to some clown who wants to add a pop charger to his policy.

I was with Admiral last year,their new quote was about £60 more than i paid the previous year,did an online quote and Elephant were the cheapest at about £80 less than my quote.Rang Admiral who straight away matched Elephants quote.£298,protected no claims,£200 excess.I too am an old fart,50,living in Derbyshire. :thumbs:

Mostly scripted so anything out of the ordinary becomes difficult - not the chap or chapette at the other end of the phones fault like but can be frustrating.

I'd like to find an insurance company where something out of the ordinary isn't difficult to add as a mod :p

E sure gave me £ 320 for me as a second car with just 50 % ncb introductory discount.

Me ? age 60 plus with full no claims on my other car.(59 Passat c.c. )

Haven,t claimed for anything for over 30 plus years . ( fingers still crossed )