Okay next modification

Zedrush

Hi all, just got back from clubbing, misses is asleep as she got mashed on vodka and lemonade. :drunk: Im staying up cos cant sleep, so figured Id express whats going on in my head. :wacko:

Since I have joined here, I have been getting ideas and educated on how to mod my car more, via plenums, exhausts, inductionkits, e.t.c. I pretty much been spending my card like a gooden ordering parts from the states to get some of this stuff. :yahoo:

Now Im thinking the ice. I said before asking how to install ps2, but Im still stuck for choice on dvd player to get. I dont want to spend copious amounts on one, just want a decent one at an exceptional price. I know about Alpines and Pioneer but fear I am paying for the name rather than performance.

Dont want to sound like a chav but the touchscreen ripspeed seems like a good offer and a mate said I could have his for 200. :scare:

Here it is:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ryrn_58751

He said that it basically is a pioneer just renamed, is this true, does anyone know if its a crap unit, and most importantly can the face be taken of to stop burglury??? :wacko:

I am at your humble feet for advice :notworthy::lol:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a pioneer but isn't, more than likely a china rip off, almost sure they were on special offer the other week for £299.99 inc fitting :wacko:

not sure of screen quality but hey it's cheap,you get what ya pay for :)

no its definatly the touchscreen one, he has only had it for a month selling as he sold his car to buy a bike. iread on some forums that the picture quality is as good as Alpine, but not sure if that is probably a dealer trying to sell em. :please:

DO what i was thinking and get a carputer. 7" LCD touch screen where the sat nav should go, CPU in the rear compartment section, have itunes, DVD player built in, web, satnav, you name it.

I priced it all up and came to about £500 for everything. Not including fitting as i was getting a friend to do it.

DO what i was thinking and get a carputer. 7" LCD touch screen where the sat nav should go, CPU in the rear compartment section, have itunes, DVD player built in, web, satnav, you name it.

I priced it all up and came to about £500 for everything. Not including fitting as i was getting a friend to do it.

Have considered doing this myself...will wait till I get the rest of my car sorted first, but would be interested to know what parts you costed up for £500!

Have considered doing this myself...will wait till I get the rest of my car sorted first, but would be interested to know what parts you costed up for £500!

My friend costed it all up for me, i will get the details from him and send it over when i speak to him next.

It basically included:

Small CPU (I was originally thinking a MiniMac)

Hard drive

7" touchscreen LCD

Brackets

cables

USB CD/DVD player

GPS

Wireless Antenna

Software ( well kind of ;) )

Yeah i would be intrested to know what prices and where he is getting that from, looking to take the pc route myself..

It basically included:

Small CPU (I was originally thinking a MiniMac)

Hard drive

7" touchscreen LCD

Brackets

cables

USB CD/DVD player

GPS

Wireless Antenna

Software ( well kind of ;) )

Okay okay, now im confused, I love macs, only use macs, have a macbook pro. So if I get a mini mac, can get a lcd screen, got a friend who can wire up, will sound be okay or will I need an amp? So confused, will I need a mouse to access everything or can I use remote. An pics of someone who has one set up??? :scare::scare:

I was going to get a roller ball and wireless small keyboard, then have the roller ball fitted in the door where the window controls were and the keyboard was going to be just loose.

You dont need an amp unless you are doing up the stereo, which i wasnt going to do, but that will start to cost more.

If you get a touchscreen LCD then you dont really need the keyboard and mouse, however i thought the rollerball would be pretty cool

yeah you will need an amp, believe it will hook up via the RCA from the sound card, or you can get some sort of converter cant remember the name exactlty..

with the mouse you can probably use a mini rf mouse of some sort.

Okay okay, now im confused, I love macs, only use macs, have a macbook pro. So if I get a mini mac, can get a lcd screen, got a friend who can wire up, will sound be okay or will I need an amp? So confused, will I need a mouse to access everything or can I use remote. An pics of someone who has one set up??? :scare::scare:

This is a fantastic idea, as its different than everyone else who just gets the normal dvd head unit player. Plus will stand out when it comes to selling the car, people Im sure would love this idea of having a mac at their finger tips. I could get a normal head unit that just plays music and have a mac with screen to watch dvd's plus can play games like Unreal Tournament, do my graffic design work. Not sure how to set up wireles internet any ideas here.. Oh my god so excited I got to do this. you got to tell me more how this would work :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::yahoo:

Dude i will write it all up tonight for you. Let me speak to my mate and get all the low down and shizdig snizzle :D

you my friend are a legend :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

thankyou god im excited this is going to be phat !!!! Wanna know the best way to set it all up everything I will need to get, including the type of rollerball mouse, touchscreen unit, amps plugs, battery, everything. Where to purt it all B!oody brilliant idea, now thats PIMPIN ! :yahoo:

Cheers Neo, gonna go with a bluetooth foldable keyboard, that can come out underneath my single din head unit, and put a rollerball where the ashtray is, with help though fibreglass housing, restruct it so it dont looklike an ashtray anymore. Looking around this can be done within £500, Sl114 was right, :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I am also working on this car PC thing - I have replaced the nissan stereo with one with aux inputs and plan to plug the pc sound directly into the head unit (I have bose system and dont want to go down the route of seperate amp/speaker install).

I have a small form factor PC, running a via epia 1000 chipset with 512mb ram, cd drive and hard disk - also have a power regulator that will convert the 12v battery supply to allow the pc to run (the touchscreen will run directly off the battery supply). Something low power and light is what you want of course - but something powerful enough to run the software you want.

You will also need a power/shutdown control circuit of some sort that will start up the computer AFTER you have started the engine (or cranking will reduce the battery voltage and the computer will just shut down mid disk-access) and then shut down the computer a set time after you turn the engine off). I have bought this -> http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/574 to use - it seems the best option (along with Opus made ones)

I am intending to mount the pc in the large rear glove box and route the cables through to the dash, where I will install USB sockets. I have a USB bluetooth adapter and a bluetooth GPS thingy that I will be mounting somewhere it can get a lock on some satellites.

The 7 inch (800x480) touchscreen I intend to mount in the satnav cubby - apparently it's best to get your hands on a 2003 cubby as they are easier to fit a touchscreen in. You will need to do some cutting of the cubby and remove the touchscreen from its casing to fit this stuff.

Once the hardware is set up there is of course the problem of what software to run - check out www.mp3car.com and there are quite a few different front ends available, that do most of what you might want (music,dvd,satnav etc). I have been writing my own software but its a very on/off project for me - and I will probably end up using some of the pre-written stuff in the end (I have the music stuff written nicely, and some satnav working using mappoint 2006 api's).

Anyway if you want to read up about it I would really recommend the forums at

http://www.mp3car.com

and for buying bits you might need I would recommend

http://www.cartft.com (this is a german website/company but I have ordered from them before several times and also had to get replacement items sent and they have no problem dealing in english)..

I would budget 800 pounds for doing a proper job of this btw (unless you already have some of the things you will need)..

as that post also says, the 2003 nav door makes installing the screen easier.. but need to find one!

The lilli works great but was a little too much aggravation to setup. For the Z owners out there, you'll probably notice that I'm using a 2003 Nav pocket/door.. the 2004 door sucks!

as that post also says, the 2003 nav door makes installing the screen easier.. but need to find one!

The lilli works great but was a little too much aggravation to setup. For the Z owners out there, you'll probably notice that I'm using a 2003 Nav pocket/door.. the 2004 door sucks!

This looks like the one you may be after...?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-350Z-Centre-Dash-Secton-350-Z_W0QQitemZ230089334263QQcategoryZ10402QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem