Okay next modification

Zedrush

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have spent a few hours today taking the car apart, drilling holes in it and putting it back together - I now have a functioning car PC!

I have replaced the BOSE head unit with a kenwood dpx501u double-din with AUX input wired up to the original BOSE speakers.

I have placed a 7 inch touchscreen where the sat nav cubby is normally and routed the 3 cables (power, vga and usb(for touchscreen) down behind the radio where they join up with the power/ground/ignition wires and from there through the center tunnel and back into the glove box behind the passenger seat - I had to cut out a small hole in the glove box liner tray to pass the cables through into the glove box.

The PC is an Epia SP13000 with slimine DVD drive, 40 GB hard drive, 512MB slimline RAM and all the normal ports; it's running windows xp and the shell I am using for the car PC is Centrafuse (this is software designed for a car touchscreen system). The PC is powered by an M2-ATX board, which is specifically produced for powering car PC and can handle up to 150W load. The M2-ATX supply can survive engine cranking and allows you to specify startup and shutdown delays (ie I have it set to start the PC 5 seconds after the ignition power comes on, and shut it down 45 seconds after it goes off - the PC then goes into hibernate ready to resume exactly where it was when you next start the car).

The PC has a bluetooth usb adapter which connects to bluetooth GPS and OBDII widgets.. the GPS enables me to have touch screen sat nav (using Destinator, built into Centrafuse), and the OBDII enables me to monitor various engine parameters and diagnostics (it plugs into the OBDII port just below the fuel cap release button). I also have a USB wireless keyboard with a little joystick-mouse thing - don't intend to keep it in the car but it's their if needed. Finally there is wireless LAN via USB again - this will enable me to connect to home network and sync files and also to connect to local hotspots.

I have taken a few pictures which I will post later.

The part that's left to do is to fit the screen into the dash properly - atm its just lying in the empty space where the nav cubby should go! This is reliant on me finding a 2003 nav cubby.. B)

Well I have spent a few hours today taking the car apart, drilling holes in it and putting it back together - I now have a functioning car PC!

I have replaced the BOSE head unit with a kenwood dpx501u double-din with AUX input wired up to the original BOSE speakers.

I have placed a 7 inch touchscreen where the sat nav cubby is normally and routed the 3 cables (power, vga and usb(for touchscreen) down behind the radio where they join up with the power/ground/ignition wires and from there through the center tunnel and back into the glove box behind the passenger seat - I had to cut out a small hole in the glove box liner tray to pass the cables through into the glove box.

The PC is an Epia SP13000 with slimine DVD drive, 40 GB hard drive, 512MB slimline RAM and all the normal ports; it's running windows xp and the shell I am using for the car PC is Centrafuse (this is software designed for a car touchscreen system). The PC is powered by an M2-ATX board, which is specifically produced for powering car PC and can handle up to 150W load. The M2-ATX supply can survive engine cranking and allows you to specify startup and shutdown delays (ie I have it set to start the PC 5 seconds after the ignition power comes on, and shut it down 45 seconds after it goes off - the PC then goes into hibernate ready to resume exactly where it was when you next start the car).

The PC has a bluetooth usb adapter which connects to bluetooth GPS and OBDII widgets.. the GPS enables me to have touch screen sat nav (using Destinator, built into Centrafuse), and the OBDII enables me to monitor various engine parameters and diagnostics (it plugs into the OBDII port just below the fuel cap release button). I also have a USB wireless keyboard with a little joystick-mouse thing - don't intend to keep it in the car but it's their if needed. Finally there is wireless LAN via USB again - this will enable me to connect to home network and sync files and also to connect to local hotspots.

The part that's left to do is to fit the screen into the dash properly - atm its just lying in the empty space where the nav cubby should go! This is reliant on me finding a 2003 nav cubby.. B)

Looking forward to seeing this :teeth:

How much you spent on it?

And the race is on lol.

Just bought a cubby, bought the mac, bought headunit, carnetix p1900 + 5v futher enhancer, lilliput 7"screen, vga and usb extensions, usb 6 pot extension. Amp version 1.1 software, amplifier, 2 6x9 speakers, got 15" sub, bluetooth airport, 3G phone. Install in the car starts 8 o'clock 31st. Will be set up the weekend before outside running of a 12v battery to see how it all pans out. Will post pics and diagram of install. Cant wait :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

And the race is on lol.

Just bought a cubby, bought the mac, bought headunit, carnetix p1900 + 5v futher enhancer, lilliput 7"screen, vga and usb extensions, usb 6 pot extension. Amp version 1.1 software, amplifier, 2 6x9 speakers, got 15" sub, bluetooth airport, 3G phone. Install in the car starts 8 o'clock 31st. Will be set up the weekend before outside running of a 12v battery to see how it all pans out. Will post pics and diagram of install. Cant wait :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

And if your coming to tne NW drive out you can show it off! :thumbs:

I had a look at pictures from the last meet there were alot of nice very prestine 350z. Im a bit apprehensive in going as my wheels are in need of major refurb and might be a bit embarrased if I turn up and my car aint in prestin condition. Ill post up pics of my wheels, let me know what you think :blush:

No one's judging anyone on this trip! I was a bit embarrassed by my parking dings and kerbed wheels before I went to the first one but you soon forget with good company, good roads and good food. :teeth:

It's not concours, it's fun! :yahoo:

No one's judging anyone on this trip! I was a bit embarrassed by my parking dings and kerbed wheels before I went to the first one but you soon forget with good company, good roads and good food. :teeth:

It's not concours, it's fun! :yahoo:

And the more zeds the better, like Digsy said its fun :thumbs:

I had a look at pictures from the last meet there were alot of nice very prestine 350z. Im a bit apprehensive in going as my wheels are in need of major refurb and might be a bit embarrased if I turn up and my car aint in prestin condition. Ill post up pics of my wheels, let me know what you think :blush:

No scruffy zeds :nono:

:p

have just ordered a 3g phone too, along with Web'n'Walk plan from T-mobile - I had a burning need to be able to get weather forecasts on the move.. and have people be able to track me on google earth in realtime! This will also enable me to get traffic reports, internet radio and so on.

went out for a drive this morning to test the system and it worked great - the bluetooth solar powered gps unit gets a fantastic signal seemingly wherever its placed (in fact it wasnt fixed and it flew off the dash onto the passenger seat and was still receiving 7 satellites..) and is able to communicate with the bluetooth adapter while its still locked up in the glove box thing.

The PC is nearly silent with the glove box closed - certainly you can't hear it unless you sit still and listen. Have bought a 4 port usb hub which will go in the center phone cradle compartment.

one problem I have atm is that Hibernate isn't really working for me - the gps doesnt reinitialise its COM ports correctly on resume.. so I have reverted to shutting down 45 sec after engine goes off - this adds about 15 seconds to the boot-time of the system but that's OK - I don't like to get in the car and dash off anyway (got to let it warm up a little!)

have just ordered a 3g phone too, along with Web'n'Walk plan from T-mobile - I had a burning need to be able to get weather forecasts on the move.. and have people be able to track me on google earth in realtime! This will also enable me to get traffic reports, internet radio and so on.

went out for a drive this morning to test the system and it worked great - the bluetooth solar powered gps unit gets a fantastic signal seemingly wherever its placed (in fact it wasnt fixed and it flew off the dash onto the passenger seat and was still receiving 7 satellites..) and is able to communicate with the bluetooth adapter while its still locked up in the glove box thing.

The PC is nearly silent with the glove box closed - certainly you can't hear it unless you sit still and listen. Have bought a 4 port usb hub which will go in the center phone cradle compartment.

one problem I have atm is that Hibernate isn't really working for me - the gps doesnt reinitialise its COM ports correctly on resume.. so I have reverted to shutting down 45 sec after engine goes off - this adds about 15 seconds to the boot-time of the system but that's OK - I don't like to get in the car and dash off anyway (got to let it warm up a little!)

Hi mate what are you running for your ac/dc adapter the carnetix p1900 is made to allow your computer to hibernate without shutting off. It will automatically shut down if it feels like its drained to much power from your battery but thats if you leave your car on standby for up to 8 weeks. :thumbs:

quick note to say that I now have internet on my car PC up and runnnig - in fact this is posted via it! Had to buy a different bluetooth adapter to get it running - the Belkin F8T012 is recommended for the purpose of car PC ! 8)

almost there mate will have pics too next weekend and Ill pm you from my car :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ok here are some piccies taken quickly in the dark - sorry they are rubbish! .. my car's not as dusty as it looks!!

anyway - you can see that I have connected GPS/OBD-II via bluetooth and also GPRS mobile phone .. my car isn't really at 3rpm by the way - there's a bug in the software atm!

The computer is in the glove box behind the passenger - need to tidy up some wires there (the wires are routed through the center tunnel past the handbrake/gearstick to the head unit/screen). You can see that I have the usb hub in the center tunnel box, where the phone holder goes.. all the bluetooth devices work fine with the box closed.

At the moment the screen is just resting in its final err resting place - still looking for a 2003 satnav cubby!

Wow superb job mate well nice, :thumbs::thumbs:B)

I will be posting mine up hopefully this monday of the 350z mac carputer setup I named project chaos :D although the set up has been done many times. I will show everything you will need where to buy from step by step pictures and links and outlay plan.

All within the buget of £410 in total. SO MUCH BETTER AND CHEAPER THAN BUY JUST A DVD PLAYER UNIT. You have itunes bluetooth internet dvd photoshop, sat nav, touchscreen able, didgi cam corder that records you driving or mini cam lense in the front grill that can be recorded rear parking cam, hands free kit, ipod docking station (install in ash tray compartment) voice activation the whole works. Keep your eyes posted to my post on monday.

Cheers yall :yahoo:;)