Okay next modification

Zedrush

410 quid including all hardware?

pretty cheap - I have spent more for sure!

Hi mate that is for everything including mini mac intel duo 100gb 1gbram 1.6 hrz hardware, comes complete with (multiregion dvd, itunes, imovie, airport, bluetooth,windows vista, satnave the whole works) 7" touchscreen lcd, adapters carnetix, software (most free frontend) Alpine headunit single cd player aux in (to handle the sound and to have radio) a second 350z middle dash incase I mess things up hacking away and installing screen into cubby, everything.

Here some pics took to show it working outside, proper pictures will be taken on the day with it fully setup outside working fully and the inside the car:

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen4.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate the gps system is a brand called twig which works okayish still need a little work, I could have gone for route 88 which only runs on apple but its pretty crap so have to revert to the window section only problem is there is hardly anything that will run pro

perly onb it so for now will have to install xp again, but I might not bother as if needs be Ive still got my Tom Tom.

The program I use for my frontend other than teh typical menu screen is a software created by some geek called AMPS its for macs and is bloody good and is completely free I also used DisplayConfigx software which was about 7 quid to get my screen down to resolution 800 x 480.

Check this out for the AMPS software is motion, its got everything you need and is a lot safter to use whilst driving:

http://gthing.net/carputer-5-final/ :thumbs::thumbs:

is that a xenarc screen?

No its a lilliput, they are so much cheaper and do the same thing, my friend has a skyline and has Xenarc, he paid 220 pounds for his and when he compared it the lilliput is actually brighter, only paid 72 for it :thumbs:

have you seen how well it fits into the nav cubby yet?

Thats why I bought another 350z dash with cubby so I could modify it to fit, just dropped the unit round my mates house now to fit it all in prep for weekend. :yahoo:

The cubby hole when tested fits the monitor fine, its just trying to keep in place so it looks stock, he is a handy man and will figure this out, he is also a whizz kid when it comes to electricals and fibre glassing. Pics will follow. We are seting the whole unit up first with speakers amp and sub outside the car, running of a a 12v power supply, once we see it working its just a matter of installing it in the car. He is also going to do my headlamp change overs and HKS induction kit install and kinetix plenum install at the same time. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Hi mate that is for everything including mini mac intel duo 100gb 1gbram 1.6 hrz hardware, comes complete with (multiregion dvd, itunes, imovie, airport, bluetooth,windows vista, satnave the whole works) 7" touchscreen lcd, adapters carnetix, software (most free frontend) Alpine headunit single cd player aux in (to handle the sound and to have radio) a second 350z middle dash incase I mess things up hacking away and installing screen into cubby, everything.

Here some pics took to show it working outside, proper pictures will be taken on the day with it fully setup outside working fully and the inside the car:

The lowest spec mac mini (lower than that one) is £400 by itself, £72 for the screen, Vista license is another £70....etc. etc.

Struggling to see how you got £410!

The lowest spec mac mini (lower than that one) is £400 by itself, £72 for the screen, Vista license is another £70....etc. etc.

Struggling to see how you got £410!

My friend, ebay is a wonderful thing. Mini Mac brandnew is 399 for 1.6ghz, second hand you can bid and get far far cheaper and yet still looks and performs brandnew if the seller has good feed back. Vista program I got from work since the licence covers it. Think I got the mini mac for 210...screen 70, spare 350z dash 20 quid and the rest on leads, ac/dc e.t.c... Seek and you shall find ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of talk about hardware for these 'puters, what about the software....Can someone give me a list of all the software they are running on their carputers, so I can spec out what type of machine I think would be best, cheers

Lots of talk about hardware for these 'puters, what about the software....Can someone give me a list of all the software they are running on their carputers, so I can spec out what type of machine I think would be best, cheers

For Mac:

os x 10.4

Amps frontend (free download) heres link: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/amp/924 ... lease.html

Config X to get the resolution of the lilliput to run at 800 x 640 or 800 x 480 cant remember its about £12

Got Itunes, DVD, iphoto, safari, windows vista +more as standard with mini mac ntel core duo

For Mac:

os x 10.4

Amps frontend (free download) heres link: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/amp/924 ... lease.html

Config X to get the resolution of the lilliput to run at 800 x 640 or 800 x 480 cant remember its about £12

Got Itunes, DVD, iphoto, safari, windows vista +more as standard with mini mac ntel core duo

What do you need Vista for? What Sat Nav software are you running, is this native to OS X, or do you need Windows of some sort on there somewhere?

For Mac:

os x 10.4

What do you need Vista for? What Sat Nav software are you running, is this native to OS X, or do you need Windows of some sort on there somewhere?

Just nice to look at although not many softwares running on it. I need windows still because for the sat navigation mac dont have a great software although they are bringing one out by end of summer which is meant to be as good as tom tom.

So I bought http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3353.html to run on windows, already had a gps reciever...

I use the mac software for everything else. If it wernt for sat nav I wouldnt car for windows.

For Windoze (I recommend XP as its faster and less demanding than Vista) try Centrafuse @ http://www.fluxmedia.net/. PM me and I'll let you know how to get it gratis if you are a developer ;)

I have just got my lilliput 7" screen yesterday, all up and running. Need a car (lol yeah no Zed yet) and the power supply (ETA Mon/Tues) to finish it off. Then obviously it needs installing into my Zed when I get it, which should hopefully be next Saturday (pickup, not install).

I am using Centrafuse too - working very well. Really keen to get the next version which will use a newer version of Destinator (the routing at the moment can be quite bad wrt motorways!). The OBD-II module needs some work in Centrafuse too - I might write a plugin to do that if it's not improved.

I was writing my own front end and got half way but then Centrafuse came along and did everything I wanted to!

there are many alternatives to Centrafuse - RoadRunner is probably the most complete one, but I much prefer Centrafuse.

In addition to Centrafuse I am running XPort (which is a GPS com port splitter - you need this if you want more than 1 program to access the GPS info at the same time)

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

I am running GOOPS (http://sites.onlinenw.com/goops/goops.php) which tracks my car in realtime and uploads it via my bluetooth phone (T-mobile web'n'walk unlimited connection) to a server - people can then track my car in realtime and see when I'm about to arrive and get the kettle on (pretty cool eh?!)

and that's basically all the software I'm using.. it runs on windows XP and I have a via sp1600 with 512mb ram and find the speed is OK - wouldnt use anything slower.. I would recommend NOT installing a super computer in your car as it will generate more heat/take up more room/draw more power.. a 2GHz CPU and 512mb ram is enough for a car PC in my book..

Pingu: What ODB-II cable are you using? I'm going to be looking for one once I get everything else up and running so having one on the list I know works is a good start!

I also use XPort, but not looked into GOOPS yet. Also looked into using RR, but as I can only get MapMonkey for GPS and thats uses D3 rather than Centrafuse and D6, I went for Centrafuse. Can wait for the updates to Centrafuse to use D6.2, should be good. Should bring Camera alterts too hopefully.

For hardware I am using a Dell D600, which is a Centrino 1.4GHz and that is more than fast enough.

Cheers guys, think this is one for the future for me, but something I will keep a keen eye on.

Unless anyone wants to build me one?

One (kind of related) question - I added an amp and sub in behind the driver's seat but have yet to wire it up to the front of the car yet as I am still waiting for my new head unit! However I was just wondering where people take a high current power supply from? Do you run cables directly to the battery (my amp recommends this), if so, where do you pass through the firewall and hide your cables?