Warning lights - ESP & Slip lights **NOW FIXED!!!*

350Chris

Right - first of all, I am well and truely over the moon. I have taken delivery of my new 350Z today (after promising myself one in 2009!)

It is a 54 Reg Azure GT formally owned by a forum member and the love affair has started.

However after getting it off of the trailer - I seem to have collected a number of warning lights :thumbdown:

The CEL light was on - I have plugged it into a reader and diagnosed O2 sensor (2) - which I have cleared down and the light has gone off. The car has berks on it, so will give that one the benefit of the doubt before I twist my balloon knot too much.

I also have the ESP Off and slip lights on. Now these are more interesting - they are off when the ignition goes on and then at a certain speed - they pop on. I had hoped that these may have been due to the trailering. A friends Cayenne had self leveling suspension that didn't like to be juggled - but then I realised that the BC coilovers aren't that clever! (Doh!). I have had a search about this and can't really find a difinitive answer. The car feels like it is pulling normally - but then I am not familiar enough with it yet to know if it's not to be honest.

Tyre sizes are all correct but my OCD means I will check them again in the morning.

As there are no codes - if it were wheel sensors I would expect a code to come up - I can only assume that I need to do the reset tap dance for the ECU and cross my fingers?

Will rehearse for the tap dance tomorrow then

*stupid question alert* :dummy::dummy:

ECU reset doesn't effect a rev up remap does it

Nope, won't erase it if that's what you are worried about :thumbs:

what error codes did you get for the lambda sensors?

I didn't write it down, but looked it up and it was oxygen sensor (2)

There was a 1, a 4 and a 7 in it I think... :wacko:

I have 147 and 167 come up occasionally, only happens at low rpm I think.

Cheers SMD, its had a remap so will just keep an eye for recurrence.

More taxing is the esp and slip lights...I can now confirm that they come on after 20mph.

Having been out all weekend, iv not yet managed the ecu reset tap dance. Can I assume that if a sensor has gone, only a Nissan diag will tell me which corner?

I have access to an obd2 reader but that only showed the o2 code and nothing traction related

Like star wars...the saga continues!

ECU reset hasn't done it. Can someone point me in the direction what the wheel sensors look like...I'm pretty sure I can see them on the rears, going to the bottom of the hub, just want to be sure before I unbolt them to check.

Secondly, does anyone local to en6 have a reader that will diagnose which sensor is at fault (if it is a sensor) my odb2 reader didn't flash up anything other than the o2 sensor code

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Right - so I am still struggling with the ESP Off and Slip light and Alex is trying to give me a hand...as an update;

Tyres are Vred's 19" - and are what they should be 275/35 and 255/35 - all extremely legal. Tyre pressures TBC

Brake fluid is ordered from Alex to pull some fluid at the caliper end and make sure that I am at Max in the reservoir

Will have the wheels off at the weekend to check the speed sensors and give them a clean

ODBII reader still shows no codes for anything and a diagnostic is booked at Nissan for 02/08 - although I would really like to avoid that

I waited too long for my Zed to have brought a lemon - this has really tarnished the ownership so far :thumbdown:

So - following on from a weekend of getting under the Zed, I am no further forward sadly

I located both rear sensors, removed and cleaned them. Reluctor rings aren't cracked and sensor leads look fine

I checked the brake fluid - and although not at the max, it is where I would expect it to be for the life left in the pads

Tyre sizes are definately correct and legal (rears probably have 6 months left in them)

This really only leaves the option of a Nissan diagnostic - which is booked in for next Thursday :shrug:

Can anyone tell me what the sensor is that goes from the rear beam to the rear sway bar - assume that this is also traction related to detect a wheel off the ground? I have a picture which I will upload this evening - but it is a plastic arm joined to the rear roll bar

Chris, didn't you mention something about the steering not being straight when you got the car, and you altered it? Just wondering as this might be your problem??

It could be that your steering sensor thinks its not straight. My car does exactly the same and I need to get it reset at the dealers.

It could be that your steering sensor thinks its not straight. My car does exactly the same and I need to get it reset at the dealers.

This is interesting...the wheel sits at 11 o'clock as opposed to 12.

Will hit some searches for the steering sensor

I am booked into the dealers next week to get a diagnostic run on it - very aware that this is an MOT failure if I don't find the problem :thumbdown:

May have found the cause of my traction issue - the drivers side steering rod has been bent. That will be the cause of the steering wheel at 11 o'clock as opposed to 12 then!

I am pretty miffed about it having not long had the car - and I certainly didn't do it - but such is!

I am persuing the usual paths for spare parts and will now be searching the guides to see if there is any tips. I am hoping that there is a knuckle from the rack to the rack ends and that it's not a whole new rack needed. :thumbdown:

Hey just so you know I have 275/35/R19 rear and 255/35/R19 on my zed and have zero problems.. if anything TC comes on a bit earlier but I get no warning lights.

**Edit**

just re-read and you have 245 not 255.. also :pmzmanalex: for any parts :)

• 1 month later...

It's FIXED!!! :yahoo:

My investigations to fix this finally took me to the oily bits...spot the problem here

IMAG1354.jpg

Yep....offensively bent inner tie rod!

IMAG1365.jpg

This put the steering wheel on the p1ss and upset the steering sensor for the traction control. Have replaced the inner and outer tie rods and will be taking it for a full alignment setup later this week. It feels like the car I had wanted to buy - it doesn't pull now, it doesn't fight me under breaking and it doesn't jump round corners or off round abouts. :drive1

I suspect that it was done when it was hoisted onto a trailer to be delivered to me as opposed to anything that the last owner did as the rest of the underside of the car looks fine. I can now start to enjoy the car and begin to forget the frustrations and disapointment that I have had since buying it. It now deserves the Nismo shifter that I gave it at the weekend B)