Drift Day - Oulton Park

Doug86

I know about the spelling mistake :dry:

I only noticed after it was processed which took nearly 3 hours! :rant:

It wasn't my GoPro and also it was WET so the camera would have been cacked in dirt in seconds if it was lower down. I want to go again so hopefuly it will be dry :drive1

Not bad at all, nice and smooth which is key. It sounded like you were just using the power to get the back end out, did they not suggest using clutch kick - I find it better as its more predictable and you can usually initiate much earlier as your speed stays fairly constant. The other thing Id suggest is letting go of the wheel on transition a bit more, your hands cant move quickly enough sometimes. :)

I believe they make Oulton wet even when it isnt raining though, you might have a bit of a wait for a dry track ;)

EDIT: Did you go out with an instructor, and if so, who was it BTW?? :)

Was Oulton Park near Chester. Was a great day out.

I adopted the releasing wheel method,as found it much easier,and you could let the car do some of the work, so it felt more natural. Neither of us went out with an instructor, though i did consider it. Was not sure about the clutch method,maybe il try that next time. Was a great way to discover the limits of the car though,and you know what understeer and the transition to oversteer feels like at a safe speed.

• 3 months later...

Could try the Santa Pod Drift what ya brung days? a lot closer to surrey, just up the M1. if you havent done any drifting before they're probably better as you can start on simple donuts and figure of eights around cones before being unleashed on a full course!

Could try the Santa Pod Drift what ya brung days? a lot closer to surrey, just up the M1. if you havent done any drifting before they're probably better as you can start on simple donuts and figure of eights around cones before being unleashed on a full course!

Nope... Santapod is proper Tarmac so will destroy tyres and stress your car. Oulton is a very slippy Tarmac and you could spend a month there and your tyres would be fine. It's very technical and it allows you to learn how to drift and link drifts etc while not giving your car a pasting.

Nope... Santapod is proper Tarmac so will destroy tyres and stress your car. Oulton is a very slippy Tarmac and you could spend a month there and your tyres would be fine. It's very technical and it allows you to learn how to drift and link drifts etc while not giving your car a pasting.

Chris didn't you do a vid from there also?

• 4 months later...

Chris didn't you do a vid from there also?

Just seen this.

I've been about 10-12 times to this - absolute best fun you can have in a car with your clothes on.

Here's one of my vids (mostly the outtakes as they're more fun to watch!)

I've done this (the Oulton drift day) on the Saturday just gone. Like Marzman says, it is a huge amount of fun! Looking forward to going again sometime, getting the Zed sidways (on purpose) is addictive! Nice vids by the way.

Had a good view of your Z spinning around ;) - sorry! drifting around whilst I had my lunch on Sat. I was tracking my Sunset Orange Z around you on the stickier tarmac. I particularly liked the Volvo box that was drifting along with you- it was so wrong that it became right! if that makes sense. :D Looked tricky to hold it in a drift- do they put 'Fairy Liquid' in the water??

I span loads! Getting the amount of throttle right was a bit of a challenge. Nothing slippy in the water but it was very muddy!

The volvo was a class act. He did some great drifts too! Think he's had some practice (and got some skill!).

I saw you but you were in the pit lane queue at the time so I didn't come and say hello. Was it a good day? Seemed to be a lot of Focus RS's in that paddock.

I span loads! Getting the amount of throttle right was a bit of a challenge. Nothing slippy in the water but it was very muddy!

The volvo was a class act. He did some great drifts too! Think he's had some practice (and got some skill!).

I saw you but you were in the pit lane queue at the time so I didn't come and say hello. Was it a good day? Seemed to be a lot of Focus RS's in that paddock.

Top track and brilliant weather. There were so many RS's that I thought I'd parked in McDonalds by mistake.

I was surprised at the number of full race machines that were there- google Caygill VW Racing for example. A really nice 350Z was prepped and running with 500bhp+. My poor little standard 276hp struggled but I definitely wasn't a mobile chicane. I'll be signed up for another go soon with my upgraded discs, pads and braided hoses. I did a couple of 'drifts' out of the chicane but none could compete with you guys infield :lol:

Have you been there? Im feeling probably no ......... ;)

The surface is tarmac and will wear tyres down, but TBF the same happens in the wet anyway. There is a tyrevan on site who will supply and fit new tyres for £10 each, you dont even have to take your own drift rims if thats how you want to play it. If you want to learn there are people to help, and the "playpens" are excellent for learning slidy car control without risking proper damage.

Stress on the car is not really any different whether its wet or dry, things are going to wear out faster but its not really any different from a normal trackday, and while Oulton is great for beginners its very low speed and not particularly challenging, Pod can be 3rd gear and 50mph and without being funny, doing that with a trail of smoke is what drifting its all about. Doing 100mph+ entries in 4th is even more fun, but thats a couple of steps further on :D

Yes, there is stuff to hit (occasional walls and other cars mainly) but its the next step up from Oulton .......... if you are worried about tyre wear then you arent really cut out to drift TBH ;)

Edited by docwra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...