Quick question about running out of fuel...

osmononame

I think I may have ran out of fuel in my 350z but could swear when I last checked it wasn't that low.

I managed to get a jerry can and fill it with 6L of fuel and it started after a couple of turns. When I got to the petrol station to fill it proper it only took 50L and I know the tank in this car is bigger than that as I regularly fill up 60L+. So now I'm thinking I didn't run out of fuel but maybe it was a pickup problem.

Also now the CEL, ESP and traction lights are constantly on. Is this usual when you run out of fuel? I will try erasing the codes tomorrow when I take it to my local garage and see if that fixes it but thought I'd ask here incase it's normal.

What makes you think you ran out of fuel?

Were you not able to start the car or did it cut out while driving?

The car cut out soon after I started it. I looked at the gauge and it looked low so I started it again and hoped I could eek it until I got to the petrol station but it cut out soon after again and at that point I just assumed I was out.

When I filed it up with the jerry can it stuttered, didn't start then on the second turn it started fine and this is when the error lights came on. I got to the petrol station and after filing it up properly, when i first started it, it cut out again and i thought it was probably because it was still recovering from running out. Since then it has been starting and running fine but the warning lights vary - the CEL stays on all the time (comes on a few seconds after the car starts so it makes me think it's not something it's remembering but that it's picking the fault up each time it is starting but thats me guessing) but the esp/traction lights are intermittent. Sometimes they come on and stay on, sometimes they disappear after starting like they are supposed to.

did you read the code before clearing the ECU, its always wise to actually find out what set the lights off

No - didn't read the code. Will make sure to read it if i comes on again.

:doh:

hope it wasn't anything serious, but yes next time read the code don't just clear it. :thumbs:

I wonder if it may be a faulty MAF.

I had very similar behaviour after I took the MAF off to clean it. I was a bit careless plugging the electrical connector back in and bent one of the pins. The engine light came on along with the the TCS lights and she became very stuttery.

Fortunately the pin didn't break when I bent it back :). All is well now. :)

I wonder if it may be a faulty MAF.

I had very similar behaviour after I took the MAF off to clean it. I was a bit careless plugging the electrical connector back in and bent one of the pins. The engine light came on along with the the TCS lights and she became very stuttery.

Fortunately the pin didn't break when I bent it back :). All is well now. :)

If I had read the code maybe we would know! :doh:

I have been out in it yesterday and today and have put a few miles on it and engine seems to be running fine. It maybe takes a fraction longer to start but I think that might be in my head. I will probably get it checked out later today as a precautionary measure.

Worth saying mine had the ever popular fuel gauge error, id often get down to a few miles on the DTE and fuel tank light on, fill up and only be able to 50-60 quids worth in, have the pump cut out as if the tanks full but still only be 3/4 full. Fixing the issue means I can put 100 quid in and tank reads full. Ive never run out and assume that the tank has read as near empty when its not, but due to the way the tanks build maybe faulty readings affect the distribution across the two sides of the tank?

Worth saying mine had the ever popular fuel gauge error, id often get down to a few miles on the DTE and fuel tank light on, fill up and only be able to 50-60 quids worth in, have the pump cut out as if the tanks full but still only be 3/4 full. Fixing the issue means I can put 100 quid in and tank reads full. Ive never run out and assume that the tank has read as near empty when its not, but due to the way the tanks build maybe faulty readings affect the distribution across the two sides of the tank?

Just to update this thread - as I posted earlier the pedal dance cleared the fault codes but the next time I drove it it cut out twice in a matter of minutes and errors appeared on the dash so my original assumption re me running out of fuel was incorrect. It is now with my trusted mechanic and I have asked him to text me the fault codes once he's had a chance to read them so I could do some research as he doesn't have time to work on the car until later in the week and I'm curious to know what the problem could be.

Just had a call from my mechanic - he is saying that it's the camshaft sensor. At £70+vat it's not the big bill I was expecting and hopefully it will solve the problem. Only issue the part is on order and will take 2 days to arrive. :angry:

zmanalex may have been able to help you out and have it with you next day.

Sounds like the symptoms of faulty Cam Shaft Postion Sensors to me ...

There are a number of old threads where people have had idenitcal problems and usually that's the cause ..

I had a very similar problem with mine a while back, the main difference way that mine never cut out while driving ... It just used to struggle to start every now and again...

Turned out to be a faulty Crank Position Sensor on mine .. I know Shire definitely had the same issues with his Zed and his turned out to be a faulty Cam Shaft Position Sensor..

Hopefully the Error code will reveal all ..

:thumbs: