Broken 350 on test drive

Crunched

Hi, i took a 350 out for a test drive the other day. The abs/stability/traction lights were lit but the dealer knew about this (abs sensor faulty) however half way back the engine started mis firing badly between 500-4500 revs, bogging down, spluttering and would not idle without cutting out, although if you slipped it into neutral gave it some, it seemed to clear its throat and behave ok at high revs.

Obviously the dealer was a peed off to say the least that id broke the car! and i was too because it was a nice example.

Hes going to get it sorted and call me next week, in the mean time, any ideas of what it could be? I was thinking along the lines of maf sensor?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could get one yeah, although i wouldnt want any potential customers seeing it, because its got a few bits on the dealer hasnt noticed (miltek exhaust and led rears) so id prefer to keep it to myself! Sorry! Any particular reason or did you just want a nosey at the car? Thanks

You know what? If a dealer can't be arsed to fix a car before trying to sell it, do you really think he's going to be helpful if anything goes wrong after he's taken your money and you want it fixed?

Plenty of other cars out there, don't give him the satisfaction of knowing he can sell cars that clearly have an issue.

:lol: He's not going to gazzump you!

:lol: brilliant.

He's trying to help you mate. We may know the car and know who broke it and sold it. All the lights on the dash could be lots of things. Personally the miltek and rear led lights aren't gonna sway somebody on a purchase for a car with a dodgy engine problem.

You clearly have the wrong perception of what's going on on here. I was a guest because I wasn't signed in.

Just get one that works I say...like Ekona said, god knows what else is wrong with it if its got lights lit and engine is misfiring and the dealer couldnt be ar$ed to sort it out. You can always buy a decent exhaust and put it on a car with no engine issues :shrug:

http://www.harveytooncars.co.uk/used-ca ... 5476132236

He did explain to me that he only took the car in part ex on friday, and i took it out on saturday so hed not even had a chance to clean it up properly.

Neil -I understand that wasnt his intention!

I really dont see it as much as a big problem as everyones making out? A sensor or part has obviously failed, hes going to sort it, and im just wondering if its common or what it was. I could buy one that runs perfectly that could fail two weeks later surely.

Vik54 is selling one much the same which is a well know car and has been looked after with no penny spared. I'm sure its very similar money and also has Miltek and led rears plus much more

Yes but its £1000 more and 300 miles away. Ive just bought a house and £1000 could go quite far at the moment. Though if their willing to take less Ive got cash waiting.

The car your looking at could need a new clutch and flywheel along with lots of other potential issues in a month though and that will cost a grand. Do you see what I'm saying? :shrug:

It's 7750 without all the other stuff. So 500 more and in immaculate condition as recorded on here and vetted by many members so you could technically buy blind knowing you're getting a perfect car with no issues

Yeah I totally understand what your saying. Ive sent vik a PM anyway. Though whose to say it wont happen to any car. What im trying to say is, because a sensor or something has failed, it doesnt mean the car is a nail and everything else is about to fail?

Yeah I totally understand what your saying. Ive sent vik a PM anyway. Though whose to say it wont happen to any car. What im trying to say is, because a sensor or something has failed, it doesnt mean the car is a nail and everything else is about to fail?

Yeah I agree but there's usually a reason somebody has part ex'd a car.

It's 7750 without all the other stuff. So 500 more and in immaculate condition as recorded on here and vetted by many members so you could technically buy blind knowing you're getting a perfect car with no issues

Im sure i could have knocked a few hundred off the dealers advertised price. and viks is a grand over book price. Dont get me wrong the car looks immaculate and i dont doubt its a superb example. But its a lot of money for a 54 plate 350.

Neil - Yeah, they want a faster one? Thats like saying theres a reason viks is for sale?!

Darren - I doubt its the rings, the engine was silent and ran perfectly for the first 10 miles.

I will see what vik says, i may end up buying it just to shut you all up! :lol:

Im sure i could have knocked a few hundred off the dealers advertised price. and viks is a grand over book price. Dont get me wrong the car looks immaculate and i dont doubt its a superb example. But its a lot of money for a 54 plate 350.

It sounds like you're scrimping to get the right car, which in all fairness could result in tears.

I personally if I had the cash would get a forum held Zed. I personally would prefer to go with Vik's car as it's a superb example and one that I would trust.

If purchasing a car with Christmas tree lights active, I'd be walking away without a shadow of doubt. Who's to know what else is lurking under there with issues.

For the sake of £1,000 either hold off your plans or think once more.

Not being nasty or anything but it makes sense.

Edit

We don't need you to shut us up, we're advising you. There's a wealth of experience on this forum. Yes we know Vik, but if you're going to get a Zed that's solid and worth every penny THAT is the one you should go for. I would and I'm sure a load of others would also from the forum.

It's your choice, we're just advising.

Because book prices on these cars are a joke at the moment. I can understand your reluctance to spend more than you think you have to, but what you're effectively saying is this:

'I'd rather buy a car with a lit-up dash and severe misfire from a dealer who seems not to really care about either, or i can buy a car with an unbeatably documented immaculate history that has been loved and cherished by it's reluctant seller.'

Seems a no-brainer to me. But then i fell foul of the same thing when i bought mine; I let the fact that it was blue and cheap rule my head and have since had to replace: the exhaust, the clutch, the flywheel, the gearbox, all 4 corners discs and pads (horribly warped) one window motor, driver's side door hinges, faulty Bose unit. I'll let you have a think about how much that all cost because i can't bear to write it down. :thumbs:

Don't do it.

DB