Samsung S3

spursmaddave

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my 18 month old HTC Desire is falling apart with random reboots and SD card incompatibility/corruption. Wi-Fi has been crap since I put Gingerbread on it.

This year's HTC's are an improvement on last years though, except the Desire C and One V which are rehashes of old models.

my standard desire is now 24 months old and its been fine, think i had to reboot it twice in that time cos it froze. only issue i have is that i don't have enough space on the phone (plenty on SD) but some software anly wants to be on the phone and can;t transfer to SD so for me the only upgrade reason is more phone memory :shrug: if it wasn't for that i'd probably keep the desire and swap to giffgaff.

Just about to upgrade to the HTC One X or the S3 anytime about now myself. Will be glad to ditch the desire, its been the worst phone i have ever had for doing the basic task of calling someone (drops the connection reguarly). Hardly ever gets a 3G signal as well and the software updates have stopped.

Just about to upgrade to the HTC One X or the S3 anytime now. Will be glad to ditch the desire, its been the worst phone i have ever had for doing the basic task of calling someone.

does your's drop out lots as well? i find it looses signal alot of the time, i've not minded it, i like the software setup, but like you say connectivity was/is a little tempremental :lol:

Just about to upgrade to the HTC One X or the S3 anytime now. Will be glad to ditch the desire, its been the worst phone i have ever had for doing the basic task of calling someone.

does your's drop out lots as well? i find it looses signal alot of the time, i've not minded it, i like the software setup, but like you say connectivity was/is a little tempremental :lol:

All the time mid-call and i hardly ever get a decent 3G signal :dry:

whats 3G :lol:

A vodafone rep actually told me there was a problem with the Desire getting a decent 3G signal! Dont know how true that is though :shrug: Either way its going next month so i have a decision to make, i actually dont like vodafone either......terrible customer service :thumbdown:

whats 3G :lol:

A vodafone rep actually told me there was a problem with the Desire getting a decent 3G signal! Dont know how true that is though :shrug: Either way its going next month so i have a decision to make, i actually dont like vodafone either......terrible customer service :thumbdown:

i'm with O2 have been for years customer services is really good and all call centers are UK based. they have a new tarriff of £37 a month for unlimited calles and text and 1 gb data allowance. for abit more there is a 2gb data allowance.

on that tarriff for 24 months the one X is free or the S3 is £90 i think.

used to love orange, but they went down the pan when they shifted everything abroad. without being rude i tend to end contracts or avoid businesses who move their call centers abroad.

I'm on o2 (have been for years) and just got an S3 as an upgrade - free pebble blue phone, 24 month business contract unlimited calls/texts/data for £30 per month +VAT.

It is the UK based customer services I value and they are very patient with me........... :blush::lol:

Oh, and ask for a (free micro-sim adaptor) if like me you wish to use an older phone when going abroad. ;)

Well my 18 month old HTC Desire is falling apart with random reboots and SD card incompatibility/corruption. Wi-Fi has been crap since I put Gingerbread on it.

This year's HTC's are an improvement on last years though, except the Desire C and One V which are rehashes of old models.

And I thought I was the only one!

Been massively unimpressed with my Desire; I've had it for almost 2 years (so nearly rid of it) and it has worked properly for maybe half that. I think it overheats, because if I use it for extended periods of time (>5mins) I can feel the back get hot and then it just goes into a rebooting loop until I take the battery out. It also overheats if I keep it in my pocket :dry:

I've been looking at the S3 as a replacement when my contract is up, but am leaning towards some sort of Blackberry at the moment as my dad has abused his for 3 years and it still works fine.

DB

HTC's do at least have a huge development community around them (going back to the Windows Mobile days) but that's mainly to correct flaws that shouldn't be there in the first place!

If anyone wants a cheap replacement Desire-like device (to use with an existing SIM) they should get a Huawei G300 from Vodafone and get it unlocked (codes £5 on eBay), it's a bargain for £100:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

As for Windows Phone 8, it's confirmed current devices won't get it, only a "7.8" update that includes some bits.

i got the feeling that win mob 8 is one to look at in the future but not until its been out for a while.

That is true, Microshaft is really pushing hard in their mobile development, i think their goal is to have everything all in 1 box, should see the develpment they want to do with the Xbox intergrating it with Augmented Reality glasses that work with your phone and on the move and all that stuff.

Anyway back to phones, the greatest thing about Android compared to iOS, is, that you can use it for more than just a phone, i like how i can just plug my phone into any computer, drag and select a bunch of files, open my phones internal or external storage and place it in there no questions asked. Unplug then plug it into any USB device like an Xbox and watch films and play music when i want.

It might not be so user friendly, but with that there is more freedom because you ain't boxed in to doing things a certain way which would make it easier for people who don't care.

If its anything like the S2 you might as well smash the cumbersome piece of crap against the wall when you take delivery of it (guess what I upgraded to and am stuck with for the next 2 effing years!)

Have you installed the ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) rom on it? Makes it a much better phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1204

Take a look at the above for more roms. Once you do it a couple of times you get a bit addicted to swapping roms around however ICS is the best (Developed by google).

I'm currently using a Motorola Atrix 4g which is very good. Not had a problem with it, only had it 10 months though and mainly got it because it was £15.32 a month contract (unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 300 minutes) with £120 cashback via quidco.

well i just ordered the noew HTC one X :thumbs:

look forward ot playing with it soon

I have a desire and have had problems with the reception but overall I do like the phone itself.

My contract is up next week and I wanted a HTC one X but after some serious looking into I have opted for a Glaxay 3.

My reason is because I can add more memory, has a slightly bigger screen(tiny amount), a better screen/display if you put them side by side, you can change the battery on a Samsung ie carry a spare and finally it looks better than a HTC.

I never thought I would go for a Samsung but they have my business this time, should have the phone in a week or two :thumbs:

Ive 2 Samsung S2`s and cant fault them. They are lightening quick with ICS, and do everything I want and more. I find when im at home, rather than boot up my netbook, I just reach for my phone.

Have to say looking at the specs of the S3, I dont see it being as much of a leap as the S2 was over the S1. My contracts not up for a few more months, so, as always i`ll just see what the best phone for the money is at that time.

As for iphone... well ive got an iphone 4s and an ipad 3 in our house and am not impressed with either. Both just dont seem to be very inituative to use. I find myself constantly struggling to workout how to do basic simple things on it, which on my S2 or on my windows 7 netbook are just second nature. Sure they are pretty to look at and if someone who isnt used to smart phones used an iphone they would think its amazing. But, those of us who have had smart phones for donkeys years just arnt impressed with it. Saying that, I used to hate android, and its only with the S2 that ive been converted and are amazed with it. Maybe when the iphone 10 comes out things will be different.

I have a desire and have had problems with the reception but overall I do like the phone itself.

My contract is up next week and I wanted a HTC one X but after some serious looking into I have opted for a Glaxay 3.

My reason is because I can add more memory, has a slightly bigger screen(tiny amount), a better screen/display if you put them side by side, you can change the battery on a Samsung ie carry a spare and finally it looks better than a HTC.

I never thought I would go for a Samsung but they have my business this time, should have the phone in a week or two :thumbs:

the deciding factor for me was the HTC was free to upgrade and the samsung was £90, both on same contract, so i went for the HTC.

the deciding factor for me was the HTC was free to upgrade and the samsung was £90, both on same contract, so i went for the HTC.

You are spot on. I am with o2 and will being paying to get the Samsung.

I ll be receiving my s3 in blue tom. I ve got currently an iPhone 4 32gb that I will be selling....

Question is how do I transfer my contacts from the iPhone 4 to the S3?

Setting new phones up is the most boring thing ever :yuck:

transfer all your contacts to outlook explorer, then android will pick it up from there

I ll be receiving my s3 in blue tom. I ve got currently an iPhone 4 32gb that I will be selling....

Question is how do I transfer my contacts from the iPhone 4 to the S3?

Setting new phones up is the most boring thing ever :yuck:

transfer all your contacts to outlook explorer, then android will pick it up from there

Outlook express? What's outlook explorer? Is it an iTunes thing? I ve synchronized my contacts already on iTunes...

I was blonde in my previous life you know :lol: