How do I repair/replace this trim...?

bodeboo

Hi all,

Giving her a service, mot, new plugs, new exhaust in the next couple of weeks but also making a bit of an effort to sort out those little imperfections that I always mean to get round to but never do, i.e. couple of minor dinks

One tatty bit that I have glossed over since I got her a year ago is the drivers side door trim around the handle and window buttons. It's pretty scratched as u can see by te picture...

Any suggestions how to repair or replace...? It's a 56 296 gt coupe.

IMAG0144.jpg

+1 :lol: Remove keys from hand when closing door :shrug:

Who'd been driving your car, edward scissor hands??

I know a lot of people complain about this part getting scratched easily, but i dont understand how it can happen... surely only your hands touch it??

I know a lot of people complain about this part getting scratched easily, but i dont understand how it can happen... surely only your hands touch it??

I propper LOL'd at Ed Scissor hands :lol:

I propper LOL'd at Ed Scissor hands :lol:

:lol::lol:

Hey jinxy, looks good. Is that a rubber paint to give the same feel as OEM?

The first thing I did when I bought my Z was to order a new grab handle. The company I used is no longer in business and the part had to be sent from Japan. It wasn't very expensive.

Hey jinxy, looks good. Is that a rubber paint to give the same feel as OEM?

The first thing I did when I bought my Z was to order a new grab handle. The company I used is no longer in business and the part had to be sent from Japan. It wasn't very expensive.

No, it is not the rubber paint. Tried that on other bits and pieces and never found it any good.

This is more of a hard wearing multi-purpose spray paint. Held up great so far - thought there is not much point swapping for another part with the same easily scratched finish.

the one you painted it different, its a different texture

the one the poster has is the facelift and is rubbery

i wouldn't recommend painting it! wouldn't match anything else

and mine is the same, guess previous owner wore a ring!

the one you painted it different, its a different texture

the one the poster has is the facelift and is rubbery

i wouldn't recommend painting it! wouldn't match anything else

and mine is the same, guess previous owner wore a ring!

It had the same finish before I painted it. I understand the facelift differences in the interior but the finish looks the same.

You can avoid the textured finish by sanding down each coat but I preferred it and matches fine.

Thanks guys.

Yep, is post facelift and has the rubbery paint. Not too bothered about keeping the rubbery stuff but ideally wanting good match colour/looks wise. You did a good job jinxy.

Think will give the repainting a go, nothing to lose. Nice Sunday job...

Been looking to find out how to remove the trim but can only find jinxys photos for the pre facelift. Anyone give any pointers, can't see any obvious screws ...

After seeing a number of very nice Zeds at the West Mids meet this weekend, I felt the need to do 'something' to my car, so I decided to wrap my door handles in carbon vinyl (plus I'm pants at spraying anything). :lol:

DoorHandle1.jpg

DoorHandle2.jpg

Easy enough to do, just take your time :thumbs:

Cheers, they're only the 2nd thing I've done. It's quite easy and straightforward. There are plenty of 'how to' guides online and YouTube. You just need patience and a hair dryer. :lol:

Pick some cheap stuff up from eBay (less than £5 will get you decent sized sheet) and experiment. The passenger side is easy peasy and would be a good starting point.

Don't forget to show us your results too :thumbs:

Your finished results look spot on though. Good job B)