New rear discs required soon

Donut Dave

I have had an advisory on an MOT earlier, saying my rear discs are corroded.

I have no intention of doing a track day, I can't drive for @*!#.

Apparently, a dealer would charge a lot for rear discs.

WHat would be a reasonable but non pricey set to get & where from? I guess, you would need new rear pads too?

Please don't confuse me!

You can do better brakes at the front than the rear, but not the opposite unless you want some interesting characteristics under braking. As such, I'd stick with OEM pads and discs at the rear unless your fronts need doing soon too, in which case I'd swap the lot out for something better for cheaper.

You can do better brakes at the front than the rear, but not the opposite unless you want some interesting characteristics under braking. As such, I'd stick with OEM pads and discs at the rear unless your fronts need doing soon too, in which case I'd swap the lot out for something better for cheaper.

Cheers,

where do you get oem discs from ? How much are they?

Cheers,

where do you get oem discs from ? How much are they?

Nissan, and I've no idea. Give a few local ones a call and haggle them down.

Just because the MOT man says the discs are corroded does not mean that you should replace them! All brake discs will show some sign of corrosion - usually on the edges where the pads don't touch them. If I get something like this on my MOT, I ask them to explain exactly what they mean. I've had this advisory before and questioned it. The response was "nothing to worry about, it just normal corrosion on the rims of the disc". Well why did you put it down as an advisory then was my response and I got a shrugged shoulder response. :rant::angry::bang:

Take the wheels off and have a look yourself. Look for pitting on the outer and inner faces or significant corrosion on the faces - it will be obvious if there is any. Ideally you should also have the thickness of the disc measured and replace if they are under or at the minimum thickness for the disc. Better still, go to a trusted garage and ask them to check the discs for you. They probably won't charge you or very little - worth it for peace of mind. Just don't tell them about the advisory or they might try to fleece you too!

No doubt someone else can advise more...

+1

MOT advisories are a load of Bolloc""s

My Missus just came back from a passed MOT with advisories on all 4 tyres on her Micra.

Stated at 3.5mm

I had a look myself and they are all fine well above the wear bars, she does about 5k a year and will last past the next MOT :lol::lol:

Just because the MOT man says the discs are corroded does not mean that you should replace them! All brake discs will show some sign of corrosion - usually on the edges where the pads don't touch them. If I get something like this on my MOT, I ask them to explain exactly what they mean. I've had this advisory before and questioned it. The response was "nothing to worry about, it just normal corrosion on the rims of the disc". Well why did you put it down as an advisory then was my response and I got a shrugged shoulder response. :rant::angry::bang:

Quite, I had the same advisory in 2009, used a couple of different MOT stations since then with no further advisories. My car stood for 2-3 months prior to the 2009 MOT, discs look to have cleaned up since then.

Pete