Frustrating delay - fixed!

I've got a bit of a problem with this forum on my windows laptop.

When I click on links there is a ~95 second delay, nothing happens and then all of a sudden the page loads fine.

Heres the results of some testing I've done:

Laptop is fine with other forums and web sites

Sometimes the page will load quickly, but only 2-3 pages and then it goes slow

Ping test to 350z-uk.com is fine all the time (resolves instantly to 94.76.203.122)

Problem occurs with Explorer, Safari and Opera

There no problem on my GFs Macbook

During the waiting period, if I try to view a page in another browser it is also delay and then they both load the page at the same time.

I dont think its a broadband or wifi problem - seems to be a problem with my laptop and 350z-uk.com

Any ideas of things I can try? Drives me nuts

Edited by Jez

My connection with forum has been all over the place for the last week or so. I still only seem to get max 2 pages of new posts

I dont use new posts, I tend to use view active topics and just scroll from there :thumbs:

View new posts only gives me 2 also :thumbs:

Sounds like you have an intermittent drop out of connection for some reason. Especially when you say "During the waiting period, if I try to view a page in another browser it is also delay and then they both load the page at the same time." sounds to me like your internet connection on the laptop (wireless/wired not sure) has dropped periodically and then all starts to work again?!

I would try the laptop connected via ethernet cable, and if it is already then try a different cable.

Also try using Google's DNS servers in your connection properties - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• 4 months later...

Fixed it! I really hoped that the new forum software would help my problem but it didn't. It made me determined to find out what was going on.

After a bit of faffing about with a network packet sniffer it turns out that my laptop / my router / this server doesn't like TCP handshakes with ACK time stamps on. Switched them off and it's all good :)

I set the Tcp1323Opts to 0 in the registry. It used to be set to 3 on my laptop (which had the problem) - just checked my work PC (which doesn't have the problem) and the registry entry doesn't exist

Got it from here: http://www.speedguid...stry-tweaks-157

You need to fire up regedit (take a backup and be very careful using this - easy to screw things up). Navigate to this setting:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Tcp1323Opts="1" (DWORD, recommended setting is 1. The possible settings are 0 - Disable RFC 1323 options, 1 - Window scaling but no Timestamp options, 3 - Window scaling and Time stamp options.)

Mine was set to 3, now set to 0.

Edited by Jez