Pics Of Tinting?

Jobo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think i'll be going for whats called Light Charcoal which is 50% apparently, if that means anything to anyone!?

be good if you could get some pics mathys! :teeth:

I had 70% charcoal on my old car, Was dark but not dark enough for the police to take notice. Are you getting the front windows done (not the windscreen obviousley) ?

Should look great on your black zed :thumbs:

Does tinting reduce your attention seeking whore rating, though? Because folks can't see you.

Or does it increase it, because they look harder?

This is important for SL114 :lol:

Haha, thats a tricky one!

Yep, going for all round tint, want to keep my car as subtle/factory like as possible, so i think the 50% should just hit the spot :)

How much is a reasonably price? The guy quoted me £300, but managed to screw him down to £250. I know they do a great job because i have had a car done by them before, but is this expensive compared to what people have paid??

£250 isn't a bad price at all so long as they take the front windown out and tint them then re-install rather than just tucking the lower bit of the tint under the seam.

I would check to see if they have any demo vehicles with the 50% on as it sounds pretty dark to me. I got a 35% tint on mine all round and I love 'em!!

This is about the only pic I have of the side of the car funnily enough!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/V6NOS/DSC00804.jpg

£250 isn't a bad price at all so long as they take the front windown out and tint them then re-install rather than just tucking the lower bit of the tint under the seam.

I would check to see if they have any demo vehicles with the 50% on as it sounds pretty dark to me. I got a 35% tint on mine all round and I love 'em!!

This is about the only pic I have of the side of the car funnily enough!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/V6NOS/DSC00804.jpg

I think it must be being they let 35% light into the car as apposed to being a 35% grade tint, because as far as i know the 50% tint ive been quoted for is a 50% light internal reading, not the darkness of tint, know what i mean because ive lost myself hehe

:scare: WOW wow wow! :scare:

check google before making misleading statements!

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit ... 202005.pdf

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

The level of light transmission is measured by metering units which cost up to £500 each. Supplying them for roadside checks across the country has cost VOSA £13,000. Another way of doing it would have been to include the measurement as part of the MOT test, but since there are 18,000 MOT test centres in the UK the equipment budget would have rocketed to £90 million, and the extra time added to the test would have led to an increase in the fee - all this for a very small proportion of UK cars.

If the meter registers figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000.

Who's doing it for you jobo?

My dads rangie is tinted all round, I think it was pentagon that did it. It's dark at the back and legal at the front. He thinks he's a pimp daddy but the legal limit is dark enough to give an effect!

In South Yorkshire the use a small machine called a 'tintmaster' that detects and reads the light reduction inside the car. They use the 30% magic number as well. If the light is REDUCED by more than 30% they either make you peel it off THEN and THERE or Prosecute AND Make you take it off then and there (Depends on how daft it is TBH.)

If you were to argue this they would say the the tinting material is 'evidence' and they also have a duty to prevent further offences!!

This only appertains to the front windows and the windscreen!

Should you feel the need you could totally black out the other glass, so long as you have two mirrors.

Mine has the rear 1/4 lights and rear windscreen quite dark, I would guess at 70% but as such is NOT illegal.

It does finish the rear of the car off nicely though

131_3187.jpg

Different forces and even different officers have differing opinions on what is acceptable as they do not all carry the tintmaster. (As they do with illegal number plates I guess)

Politeness and an otherwise well maintained car with a good standard of driving usually gets a bollocking in my experience.

Crap driving and an 'up yours' attitude on thge other hand usually gets a summons!!

Ming the Helpful

:scare: WOW wow wow! :scare:

check google before making misleading statements!

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit ... 202005.pdf

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

The level of light transmission is measured by metering units which cost up to £500 each. Supplying them for roadside checks across the country has cost VOSA £13,000. Another way of doing it would have been to include the measurement as part of the MOT test, but since there are 18,000 MOT test centres in the UK the equipment budget would have rocketed to £90 million, and the extra time added to the test would have led to an increase in the fee - all this for a very small proportion of UK cars.

If the meter registers figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000.

ok then you get your machine, do your reading and tell me how much light passes through a standard side window on the Z.

Then, do it with the lightest tint you can apply (that is not transparent) and let me know, ok? ;)

we'll then discuss who is making misleading statements :D

We have to be careful when we make statements that they are accurate and valid, otherwise people could end up being stoppped by the constabulary for something that was done on forum advice... :dry:

And it is dead easy to find a lot of the info on Google these days so no excuse to double check...

I am pretty sure OEM tint will be around 15-20% max, when they apply it, letting 80% light in, minimum.

I guess , and this is my guess, as I am not an expert on this, if you then select a 30% tint, it could compound it to 45-50%? :scare:

So yes a very light tint 10% for example would already put you on the limit, and you might not really notice it.

I hope good "tinters" would measure the starting level and then decide the requiered level of added tinting. B)

I am also pretty sure that under normal circumstances you'll probably get a telling off from mr policeman, if you are a good honourable decent looking citizen...that is if you get stopped by one of the two policeman left patrolling our roads... :p

I can really recommend the Titanium. I think it lets 36% light in and during the day it doesn't look too dark at all. It just gives the car a little extra, not that people first spot the really dark windows, then the rest of the car :p.

I haven't been able to take pictures yet as it has been raining all the time.

I would recommend to only tint the side + rear window. Tinting the front window is a bad decision if your car is your daily driver...

If I'm in an unlit very dark area, it's a bit difficult to see through the rear window via the mirror. Here the PDC + '06 led lights help out, just brake a little and you see enough.

When i spoke to the guy who did my tints i think he said the max you should have on your front windows is 30%, you cannot have a tint that covers the whole of the windscreen only a UV blocking one which is clear. You can tint the windscreen but it can only cover 30% of the bottom of windscreen abd/or 30% of the top (i.e. Sunscreen sticker).

With regards to the front windows the punishment is set on a sliding scale set by VOSA or DVLA can't remember which he said. So say you get pulled for having a 40% tint then you could get advised to take it off, if you got caught with say 60% then they can make you take it off within a set period and if you got caught with a 80% then they can make you take it off and hand you a fine. The sliding scale was on a form from VOSA/DVLA that he let me look at.