Clutch problem?

twobears

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place. I have got a problem with my clutch pedal. It is not coming back up very far after I depress it. I can get my toe under it (when stationary) and pull it up to its correct position but when I'm driving it sometimes stays about halfway down. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I suppose it could just be that I have overheated it but should it really be doing this? I am going to ring the dealer this afternoon but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas so that I'd be better informed before speaking to the garage.

Pretty much what SMD said. I had a similar problem with my RX8 and put it off until the service was due about 3 weeks later, apparently there was pretty much nothing left on the clutch when I took it in :blush: Again though, I'm not technical enough to go on anything other than my own experience! Good luck, hope it's something cheaper to sort!

Oh dear, that is what I thought the problem might be :thumbdown: He's on 53,000.

Sounds about right if it has been fairly well treated and still on its first clutch. I would recommend changing the flywheel as well if you get the clutch done.... won't be cheap I am afraid, PM Zmanalex for the best offers and be prepared for it to be around £800 inc fitting :headhurt:

Does it do it all the time? or only when sitting in traffic/ longer journeys.

It could well be your clutch fluid is cooking, mine did this and the hotter it got the lower the pedal sat, once its done it once thats your fluid knackered.

Speak to zmanalex about it , if thats what the problem is he can sort you out with a new braided clutch hose and higher boiling point fluid also a slave cylinder if required :)

Very common on the DE engined cars

I don't agree that it's the clutch: I suspect it's either the master or slave cylinders that have gone and/or on their way out. Doesn't do it from start when cold, but does when hot? Certainly sounds like that to me rather than the clutch itself, which would slip if worn but not stay down in use.

Everyone (Zmanalex included, and he is the god on these things) will tell you just to change the slave as that is the common one to fail. I would strongly advise doing both at the same time, as the part itself is only another £100 or so but it's the labour so bleed the fluid through that takes the time up and costs. Much for the same reason you'd do the flywheel as well as the clutch, I did the slave first and had to go back and pay a ton of money for the labour to swap the master out as well, should've done both at the time.

Alex, yes, I know the drill :lol: I'm still up to my eyeballs project managing my build/renovation today, not to mention painting (my hair mostly!) in the new workshop but once I've had chance to phone the garage and get booked in I will let you know if I need your services once more :thumbs: Got to say that I am keeping my fingers crossed that the issue is more of a minor than a major one.

I don't agree that it's the clutch: I suspect it's either the master or slave cylinders that have gone and/or on their way out. Doesn't do it from start when cold, but does when hot? Certainly sounds like that to me rather than the clutch itself, which would slip if worn but not stay down in use.

Yep, its a hydraulic issue with one of the cylinders rather than the clutch itself. You might get lucky and find its just low on fluid, a top up might fix it, but then you have to ask yourself where the fluid actually went ;)

Oh, I hope that a quick change of fluid is all that is needed. I have given him some welly recently so maybe I've 'overcooked' him a bit :blush:

Will, the parts are on order for the roof. Will find out more when I go back on Monday as I stupidly forgot to ask exactly what they were proposing to do as I was rushing around like a madwoman as usual :headhurt: