ABS is trying to Kill ME!

Nolly227

Ok,

So the first issue I had was that the ABS light, handbrake light, Traction control warning and ESP OFF light would flick on when doing a constant speed on the motorway. I 'thought I may have found the fault to be out of adjustment brake microswitches. I re adjusted both of them and the car behaved itself for 2 days.

Fault came back on so I adjusted the lower microswitch even more and that solved the fault.......

Until today where my ABS unit has gone mental and activates every time I remotely touch the pedal. Really scary on the motorway as I pretty much had no brakes. Unplugged the microswitch and it still kept activating until it started to click continuously and then packed up and brought all the above lights on my dash again.

I'm getting really stressed out with this car now. I've only had it for 3 months!

Does anyone know how to permanently disable the ABS as the car is incredibly dangerous atm as it constantly thinks the wheels are locking up I effectively have no brakes!

Plus it's pulling quite abit to the left, so I didn;t know whether that was linked???? (Even after I got nissan to do a costly 4 wheel alignment.

Need some help everyone :bang: ....

I think there is a fuse you can remove but I don't advise it!!

Find the cause don't remove the symptoms!

The first things I would look at are the wheel speed sensors - see if one is faulty or the wires are?

Do you get a fault code?

What size wheels / tyres are you running.

There the right tyres for the car. I had this question asked to me when the fault first happened. I will check but I had the car jacked up the other day and the front wheel speed sensors looked ok.

No ECU fault comes up. Just the mentioned lights on dash. Took it to Nissan when it first happened and they were completely useless. They had no idea what it was!

Not the most helpful answers Ive ever read chaps. ;)

The lights flicking on indicate that the ABS unit (probably the ECU) itself is stopping working - you get the same lights when you permanently disable ABS/VDC. Obviously going off and coming back on again isnt really ideal, its a fault as well, nothing to do with your driving, tyre choice of day of the week. ;)

My guess would be at the unit itself, its probably worth rolling down to Nissan and having them plug it into CONSULT, but I dont know the ABS ECU would be part of the diagnostic. In the meantime, open the bonnet, take off the brake fliud reservoir cover thing and pull all three of the plugs on this inside wing, this will bring all of the lights up but will permanently disable ABS/VDC and mean you can drive the car again. :thumbs:

If you need to replace it, do NOT buy new from Nissan, I cant imagine a secondhand one would set you back very much :)

The lights flicking on indicate that the ABS unit (probably the ECU) itself is stopping working - you get the same lights when you permanently disable ABS/VDC. Obviously going off and coming back on again isnt really ideal, its a fault as well, nothing to do with your driving, tyre choice of day of the week. ;)

My guess would be at the unit itself, its probably worth rolling down to Nissan and having them plug it into CONSULT, but I dont know the ABS ECU would be part of the diagnostic. In the meantime, open the bonnet, take off the brake fliud reservoir cover thing and pull all three of the plugs on this inside wing, this will bring all of the lights up but will permanently disable ABS/VDC and mean you can drive the car again. :thumbs:

If you need to replace it, do NOT buy new from Nissan, I cant imagine a secondhand one would set you back very much :)

The best Advice I have had so far. Thanks for your help :) Disconnected the plugs and now can at least drive the car! TBH I have put up with the fault for so long I kinda used to not having any assists. :lol: The car will be in the garage this week and I shall report back later on. Some of the other chaps on here seem to think that the car pulling to the left could be linked with the ABS playing up. So we shall have to see.

sorry the rest of us tried to assist really..... :angry:

pretty stupid advice imo, telling you to disable some inherent braking issue with a work around and a serious issue that needs addressing before you have a serious accident.

Apologies. Didn't mean to insinuate the other advice was useless. I appreciate everyone who has spent the time to give their opinion to what it could be. I needed to know how I could disable the ABS it as I still need the car this weekend. But She is being sent off to the garage in the week. While I'll get the bus to work :(

Can tell you now - you put it on CONSULT with this apparent fault and you'll get a cose that even a Nissan HPC will not commit to a solution for - it 'may' be the pump ... it 'may' be a loose wire down by the steering column ... it 'may' be simply the switch. I know this from experience. Last year I had similar experience - at the same time as another member - we both solved the issue but with different solutions :)

sorry the rest of us tried to assist really..... :angry:

pretty stupid advice imo, telling you to disable some inherent braking issue with a work around and a serious issue that needs addressing before you have a serious accident.

Whatever, at the moment he cant drive the car at all for fear of losing the ability to brake completely, at least this way it will get him to the garage. Ive been driving with it like that for the last 6 months, Im magically not dead yet. The fault is already disabling all of the ABS/VDC anyway, thats why the lights are coming on, maybe if he just crosses his fingers and hopes it might go away huh?

Christ only knows how all those drivers of motors without VDC and ABS even hope to keep their cars on the black stuff, Im surprised you dont have to take a different test for that kind of car ;)

Its a damn sight more useful than "check your tyres havent changed size" - do you really think that overnight the tyres would change diameter enough to fire the ABS all the time? Really? :shrug:

Vik - fair enough, thats three things it could be then, and by the sound of its its not the switch. There you go OP, your already further down the road. :thumbs:

I have to agree with docwra as I had an ABS fault that lit every light up so I had no ABS, TCS etc for a few months, the car was still drivable, I didn't die or almost have an accident everytime I went near the right pedal....

At the end of the day they are aids to driving, if you need them on a regular basis then frankly you must be a tool anyway.... my fault turned out to be a £15 switch in the rear light, hope the OP is as lucky as I was :thumbs:

Ok chaps, got an update but sadly not the answer yet!

Driving to the work the other day I started to hear a judder from the rear which was synched to the speed I was doing. To my dis-belief, I found a 13mm Stub bolt lodged in the tyre, so decided to take the morning off work and go internet shopping.

Cut the story short, I decided to invest in 4 new rubber shoes as the rears where completely shot and the inside fronts had excessively worn thanks to it pulling to the left. New tyres and a near perfect alignment later I had two full days of bliss driving up untill the ABS showed it's ugly head again. This time on the motorway at 80 and swaying the car agressivley to the right as if it's trying to slow the front right down.

Havern't had the dash light up yet which is interesting but subsequently I have no assists again as I had no choice to unplug them once again. Been doing bit of homework and few of the Yanks and others think it's either a dicky wheel speed sensor (guessing the FR?) or the trigger hub is damaged (expensive part?)

Another cause brought is that the Steering angle on the steering wheel isn't reading right. I've heard Nissan can reset this on the Consult? Annoying as I vowed never to go to Nissan Warwick again due to their incompetence but will have to see what happens.

Just wish the car drove like it was designed too :(

Will keep you all updated!

Cut the story short, I decided to invest in 4 new rubber shoes as the rears where completely shot and the inside fronts had excessively worn thanks to it pulling to the left. New tyres and a near perfect alignment later I had two full days of bliss driving up untill the ABS showed it's ugly head again. This time on the motorway at 80 and swaying the car agressivley to the right as if it's trying to slow the front right down.

If its only braking one wheel thats a VDC/yaw sensor issue Id say. When I went with 19's on the back and 18's on the front mine started doing this in any kind of aggressive driving round corners. If yours is on right size tyres and wheels a penny to a pound its

a dicky wheel speed sensor (guessing the FR?)

this would probably explain why the ABS got stuck "on" as well. Id still put it through CONSULT as Id imagine the ABS/wheel sensors would probabyl be included, just drive soemwhere other than Warwick ;)

Right just got a call from the garage I took it too. They took it for a road test and luckily the intermittent fault occured whilst driving. They didn't use Consult but instead a Bocsh diagnostic unit which has flagged up the potential cause to be a FL wheel speed sensor. So hopefully that is it! :)

Sadly only Nissan stock the part which has a back log of a week and a stupid asking price of £300!

Gonna hunt around for it first on the Net and on here before I resort to giving the stealers even more money.