Can I make the steering lighter??

tracymg

Hi Guys

Sorry to sound too much like a girly girl, but is there any way I can make the steering a little lighter? I am getting used to the heavy steering, and the extra muscles on my skinny arms, and don't notice it too much while driving, it's just afterwards... they ache

Thanks in advance

First thing i would do is check tyre pressures.

If spot on, inflate one bar above recommended.

If that fails...drive faster! :drive1

one bar?! did you mean 1 psi?

First thing i would do is check tyre pressures.

If spot on, inflate one bar above recommended.

If that fails...drive faster! :drive1

one bar?! did you mean 1 psi?

Lol Correct, i sure did haweye... :thumbs:

Tyre pressure is fine, I will try inflating a bit... maybe not the 1 bar though :teeth:

Thanks for the advice

Power steering fluid at sufficient level?

Power steering pump funtioning correctly?

Any airlocks in Power steering system?

The power steering fluid looks good, not sure how to check if the pump is working properly, it doesn't make any funny noises, so I assume that all is ok there too. Airlocks... not sure how I would even check this one

I assume your is a Rev 1 (280ps) car...Nissan did make the steering (and gearchange) slightly lighter on the later cars.

As pas cars go, the steering is a bit heavy but IMHO has got good feel and is one of the best things about the car.

My daughter had a early 350 and never complained, so unless you have a physical issue in your arms and shouders perhaps there is a mechanical fault.Do you know anyone with another 350 so you can make a comparison?...if that's the same as yours then,sadly,the 350 may not be the car for you.

Oh dear Tracy, my sister manages fine and she's a massive girly girl. Man up

Made me laugh! :lol:

:blush:

I will man up and I will relish in my new found strength and still retain my girly girl image :lol:

Unless my arm drops off very soon, then me and my zed will be just fine

Out of curiosity Tracy, what was your last car? I won't assume it's an MG just from your username! :lol:

The reason I ask is that if you're used to driving mid or rear-engined cars, then going to something where all the weight is in the front can tend to feel very heavy at first until you get used to it. I've suffered from the same in the past, as I spent 5 years only with mid-engined cars so it was a surprise at first driving the Zed. :)

Out of curiosity Tracy, what was your last car? I won't assume it's an MG just from your username! :lol:

The reason I ask is that if you're used to driving mid or rear-engined cars, then going to something where all the weight is in the front can tend to feel very heavy at first until you get used to it. I've suffered from the same in the past, as I spent 5 years only with mid-engined cars so it was a surprise at first driving the Zed. :)

No, I've never owned an MG, although, actually I did have an Austin Healey 'Spridget' once :D .

My last car was a BMW 325 compact, which is a tad heavy to drive, but not too bad. I've only had the Zed for a couple of weeks, so just getting used to it. In my defence my drive to work is a very very winding country road :lol:

No, I've never owned an MG, although, actually I did have an Austin Healey 'Spridget' once :D .

My last car was a BMW 325 compact, which is a tad heavy to drive, but not too bad. I've only had the Zed for a couple of weeks, so just getting used to it. In my defence my drive to work is a very very winding country road :lol:

Have you played with the seat. I can't help thinking it's a position issue if there is nothing mechanical.

Have you played with the seat. I can't help thinking it's a position issue if there is nothing mechanical.

Just what I was thinking. Tracy maybe you're sitting to close or to far from the steering wheel, obviously height too. Adjust the steering wheel height.

The steering is rather 'sports' orientated and certainly far heavier than most of my previous cars and trucks, but having said that, I'd hate to have steering as light as my Vectra shed, in something as quick as the Z. Also remember that power steering works 'both ways' so with wide tyres the tram lining you can get on the Z will seem far worse with a lot more power assistance.