'Clunk' noise when braking, any thoughts ?

Bockaaarck

Guys,

My Zed seems to have suddenly developed a 'clunk' noise when braking which has never happend before.

Bit of background for you information for you. Had the Zed 'refreshed' on Friday last week where I got a few bits sorted and changed - new compression arms, new bushes, droplinks front and back and that's pretty much it. She was fine on the way home Friday and she was fine on Sunday when I met with choptop and ShortPaul.

Since Sunday she's been stood still and today's the first time I've driven her. Journey in to work this morning was fine, no issues. However I noticed on the way home that when I pressed the brake pedal, at my guess 1 -2 inches of downward pressure there was a slight 'clunk' from the drivers or off-side front wheel / brake / corner.

The brakes worked fine, stopped ok and in fact I had the opportunity, with a straight road and no traffic to try a half a dozen 'brake bedding in' little runs as in "run up to 60, brake to 20, up to 60, brake to 20...." etc. Car braked without any problems, no shimmying or anything like that other than the slight clunk, which i got the vaguest sensaton of through the brake pedal.

When changing direction there doesn't appear to be any repeat of the 'clunk' and there deosn't seem to be any overly noticible suspension 'clunking' when I go over bumps, ruts, drain covers etc in the road. When gentle with the brakes at low speed there was no clunk, although a couple of times I did notice a slight 'chattering' as if something was running over something rough, then the clunk.

I have pretty new DS2500 pads and pretty decent disks, both of which replaced about this time last year. I don't think that any of the work which got carried out on Friday last week is likely to be the cause of the issue because of the professionalism of the guys carrying out the work and work to the brakes was not planned or undertaken.

Any suggestions as to what it might be guys? I have a feeling that it might just be a loose pad, if anything. Suggestions and views most welcome (clunk just happens once by the way, as in brake...clunk). I've also tried reversing and braking an I don't seem to get the same sound

Have you checked the 'banana bar' threads ?

Hi ATTAK Z, to be fair no I haven't, I'll have a nose through them now. It just feels a bit odd, it doesn't feel like a clunk when you go over an ill fitting drain cover or anything as dramatic as that, just doesn't feel quite right.

ATTAK Z, thanks for gently giving me a nudge. I'm now certain the slight 'clunk' is the ball joint, having nosed through a good few banana bar threads. Ta very much. :thumbs:

Jez and Carl at Horsham thought the ball joint might not be quite right when I was there last week but I didn't have the time to get it looked at and fitted. Just goes to show they know their stuff and I should have made the time, Doh! :doh:

Take on board what he has said, go all round the houses and question everything, spend shed loads of cash on what you think the problem might be, then, take up his suggestion, as others have done....... :lol:

:lol: I'm not falling in to that trap.

Alex has kindly given me his advice before and its been bang on the money every time. :thumbs:

Given this has come about after the recent refresh when suspension bits have been changed, I would go back to where you had that work done and get them to check everything is is tight and that something hasn't loosened off.

Might also be worth having a 4-wheel alignment done afterwards, particularly if it was not done after the refresh, as I would guess some settings will have changed, albeit that in itself shouldn't cause the clunk you are hearing ;)

Chaps, thanks for the replys.

Colin I had thought about that and had a really good chat with Carl at Horsham yesterday. We discussed what the issue could be and the ball joint sounded favourite. He did suggest scooting back up there for them to have a check over things. Which I think I'll look to take him up on.

Alex, the clunk seems to have got worse today as I had a fairly gentle A road / motorway cruise out. I'm just a bit concerned about what kind of damage I might do if I don't get this sorted sooner rather than later. I know you're knowledge and experience will tell you what the root cause of the clunk is most likely to be. What do you think I'm going to need to try and get this little nuisance sorted? :)

Chances are you'll get a pm from me later :D