Annoying rattle.

Yellowgt4

Hey guys. I have the most annoying rattle ever! Ive checked EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING. Ive changed the compression arm bushes with superpro ones. As the offside one was worn. Ive changed the steering rack as that had slight play in it. And still this noise continues! Ive taken the drop link off completely and that makes no difference.

Im going insane! Its totally ruining a fantastic car for me.

The noise is coming from the drivers side front wing when doing low speeds 20-30mph. The best way to describe it is its like a drop link ball joint is knackered, which it isnt)!

Please spmeone help me!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem, checked banana arms several times to no avail. Ended up changing the bushes in the arms anyway but still no difference. Then as a last resort changed the whole arm including ball joint despite there hardly being any play in it and that finally cured it. If the noise disappears when the brakes are applied then that is almost definitely the problem.

Hope this helps :)

I had the same problem, checked banana arms several times to no avail. Ended up changing the bushes in the arms anyway but still no difference. Then as a last resort changed the whole arm including ball joint despite there hardly being any play in it and that finally cured it. If the noise disappears when the brakes are applied then that is almost definitely the problem.

Hope this helps :)

Good advice :thumbs:

Cheers for the advice. Since changing the banana arm bushes im getting a massive vibration and knocking when doing high speed braking at 60mph+. Btw i think i may have been bumped with the bushes as i paid £151.28 and ive just seen a couple of websites doing the same ones for £80.22!!

Sounds like the compression rod ball joint.

I have replaced 4 of these in the past 3 weeks all with similar symptoms as yours, and all with very little play in the ball joint. Best to replace the cone and nut when you are at it.

All in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Let me know if I can help you further :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=43455

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=57108

Alex :)

Aye garage is good, its mine! Haha well im the manager. Ive had my master tech and mot tester look at it and they are stumped too. The ball joint is solid. Absolutely no lateral movement. The bushes i got are the ones that allow caster adjustment. Is there anything special fitting instructions? They were recommended over the standard replacement superpro bushes. Im beginning to question if they are the right ones.

Does anyone have the fitting instructions for spf2849k? I think i may have pressed the bush in the wrong way. This might be causing my problem. Zmanalex i dont have a spare 250 notes mate. I can almost guarantee its not the ball joint. I checked it and there is no movement in the cup. I cant keep throwing money at it and it not fixing my problem. So far its cost me £390!

Does anyone have the fitting instructions for spf2849k? I think i may have pressed the bush in the wrong way. This might be causing my problem. Zmanalex i dont have a spare 250 notes mate. I can almost guarantee its not the ball joint. I checked it and there is no movement in the cup. I cant keep throwing money at it and it not fixing my problem. So far its cost me £390!

See you are new on here and understand you concerns about the cost, but I doubt anyone else in the country knows more the 350 than ZMANALEX and he has probably seem more of these issues than you have had hot dinners - not trying to be rude, but just maybe you might want to re-think his suggestion.

Oh, and BTW we (the forum and members) get absolutely no commission or favours from Traders we recommend ;)

Okay no drama mate, only trying to help. :thumbs:

I hope that you find your fix and when you do please do let us know, as every day is a school day, even for us veterans :thumbs:

Alex. :)

I hope i didn't come across as disrespectful as that was not my intention. I appreciate all your advice. The thing is after i fitted these bushes ive had this vibration through breaking.

I've seen arms in america that are costing About £250 for both. Including delivery, but then youre not sure of quality either! I dont know what to do!

I hope i didn't come across as disrespectful as that was not my intention. I appreciate all your advice. The thing is after i fitted these bushes ive had this vibration through breaking.

I've seen arms in america that are costing About £250 for both. Including delivery, but then youre not sure of quality either! I dont know what to do!

The diagnoses for a vibration through braking will be completely different from the knocking that you reported in your first post.

So which one is it that you require help with?

They're both the same fault. When im going over bumps its knocking At what sounds like the top strut mounting. Then when high speed braking the exact same noise is there along with a severe vibration through steering. I live in falkirk i know youre in perth, is there any chance i could show you?

They're both the same fault. When im going over bumps its knocking At what sounds like the top strut mounting. Then when high speed braking the exact same noise is there along with a severe vibration through steering. I live in falkirk i know youre in perth, is there any chance i could show you?

Are the front caliper bolts tight?

Hahaha aye mate tightened to 154nm. Ive already taken discs/pads calipers off to check and clean. This vibration started IMMEDIATELY after the bushes being fitted. Ive taken the subframe off again and applied lots and lots of grease to all the poly bush sections and where they contact. Just in case haha.

Hahaha aye mate tightened to 154nm. Ive already taken discs/pads calipers off to check and clean. This vibration started IMMEDIATELY after the bushes being fitted. Ive taken the subframe off again and applied lots and lots of grease to all the poly bush sections and where they contact. Just in case haha.

Unless it is a coincidence than it must be the compression rod.

Did you refit the the compression rod ball joint seating cone?

If seating cone is properly insitu and not damaged, then I would bung a new compression rod on, or perhaps fit an oem compression rod bush to start with which I have in stock priced at £37.50.

However if it was mine I would stop pussying about and bite the bullet and just fit a new compression rod, cone and nut.

However if it was mine I would stop pussying about and bite the bullet and just fit a new compression rod, cone and nut.

This = win :thumbs:

So thats a 100% money back guarantee that a new arm will fix it? Haha if yes then we may have to talk business :D

Tell you what,

If it does not fix it, you can return it to me for a full refund :thumbs:

However, if it does fix it, you pay me the full Nissan retail :thumbs:

So thats a 100% money back guarantee that a new arm will fix it? Haha if yes then we may have to talk business :D

Tell you what,

If it does not fix it, you can return it to me for a full refund :thumbs:

However, if it does fix it, you pay me the full Nissan retail :thumbs:

:thumbs: I shelled out about £2000 just to learn all about THE BANANABAR. Believe me ... Alex is RIGHT