OEM Strut Brace Polishing Service (Pic update)

Wasso

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you able to do this with painted feet and the brace itself, I was thinking red feet with a black brace. Would you have a price for this please?

That can be achieved.

£50 all in.

If you are particular with a certain red them please provide the colour code necessary.

If you're interested PM me and I can send you my address. Turnaround will be 1 week.

:)

• 6 months later...

Hey Wasso. I'm doing my strut and hopefully plenum this weekend, (ready to fit the spacer you sent me. :D )

Do you sand the paint off strut. it looks like quite a hefty amount on there but i dont want to use such an aggressive grade and mark the strut. similarly though i dont want to spend all weekend getting the paint off with wet and dry

I was thinking of maybe using some stripper but not sure if this is a good idea.

Any tips welcome!

I use a mix of drill related tools and mini flap wheels to remove the paint.

You could use a stripper but not sure how well it will pass through the wax treatments applied by Nissan. Worth a bash, if not manually by hand or purchase some tools to assist with the work.

You could use a stripper but not sure how well it will pass through the wax treatments.... Worth a bash, if not manually by hand....

Oh c'mon :lol:

Someone's head is in the gutter this afternoon. :doh:

One more thing, my strut was tightened to compression, ie pushing out on the top mount points, I just had to use wd40, the worlds strongest spanner and a 3' scaff bar to get it loosened but it's tightening and losening more freely now :yahoo: .

you mention tension in the bar earlier in the thread, should it be tension, ei pulling on the mounts or compression - pushing on the mounts. I know this might sound picky but I reckon mine has been removed before by the previous owner and want it back on properly when I do it.

Cheers

Chris :thumbs:

Yes flap wheels I find best along with a bit of manual rubbing etc.

You won't get ALL of the paint off, but enough to give the primer a good base.

I'll be honest about the strut, but couldn't tell you which way is correct. I use compression to push at the mounts. I ensure there's enough tension but not too much in which to strain the bolts when the car is under heavy load.

OK thanks mate. I have used a grinder with a flapper to get the paint off the bar and have sanded it ready for wet n drying now. I think that is the easy bit though. The mounts look like they're going to be a bugger to strip.

The bar was under compression when I took it off (it was actually about 7mm longer than the mounting points which is a lot of pressure) so I'll put it back under compressions. seems logical in my head to do it that way.

Thanks for the pointers.

Go careful with anything mechanical on the actual strut. It'll only make life harder when you come to bringing up the shine. Prep is the keyword. Smooth clean and without any previous grit marks.

Yes the feet are a cowbag but practice makes perfect.

Spraying is also a pain - but it's a cheap enough mod to do without huge expense.

• 8 months later...

Apologies both missed your posts.

Cost is £75 for the strut bar and £15 for painting of the feet with a colour of your choice. All details are on the first post.

Location I'm now in Oxfordshire not far from Chipping Norton.

:)

• 2 months later...