ENGINE DAMPER

Darren-B

Looking at getting an engine damper to compliment my SC install, also I have very little clearance with the pipework running adjacent to the AC pipes.

So has anyone got one fitted, if so are they worth investing in? Also what fitting is best? I have seen top mount fitted but don`t really want to interfere with my coilover setup

Looking at getting an engine damper to compliment my SC install, also I have very little clearance with the pipework running adjacent to the AC pipes.

So has anyone got one fitted, if so are they worth investing in? Also what fitting is best? I have seen top mount fitted but don`t really want to interfere with my coilover setup

I would like to know too. :teeth:

Darren as your setup will be more hardcore than most peoples what about some harder engine mounts like the one vibratechnics do? engine mounts

I have the Stillen Engine Damper fitted. http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=S ... c=PE&m=all

I couldn't give you a before and after comparison as it was fitted when I got the car, but with it fitted the engine moves very little when giving it a rev, so I assume its doing its job. In-fact the whole car rocks instead! :evil:

It is a nice, well made item. It is mounted so it get direct linear force through it rather than a bit of lateral like the ones that mount to your top mount.

The advantage of these Engine dampers over harder mounts is that noise and vibration transfer is much less and they are much easier to fit than new mounts. :)

Reading reviews from people with them fitted, they generally report improved throttle response along with the car feeling more stable under hard acceleration, especially when exiting corners. That would also agree with what the previous owner told me he found.

Fitting instructions here; http://www.stillen.com/product_files/307355~inst.pdf

How does an engine damper improve throttle response, I'm sure there's an obvious answer but I would appreciate it if someone would explain it as I genuinely don't know :shrug:

I have the Stillen Engine Damper fitted. http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=S ... c=PE&m=all

I couldn't give you a before and after comparison as it was fitted when I got the car, but with it fitted the engine moves very little when giving it a rev, so I assume its doing its job. In-fact the whole car rocks instead! :evil:

It is a nice, well made item. It is mounted so it get direct linear force through it rather than a bit of lateral like the ones that mount to your top mount.

The advantage of these Engine dampers over harder mounts is that noise and vibration transfer is much less and they are much easier to fit than new mounts. :)

Reading reviews from people with them fitted, they generally report improved throttle response along with the car feeling more stable under hard acceleration, especially when exiting corners. That would also agree with what the previous owner told me he found.

How does an engine damper improve throttle response, I'm sure there's an obvious answer but I would appreciate it if someone would explain it as I genuinely don't know :shrug:

I can only assume its because the engine doesn't rock on the mounts? Without one when you put your foot on the throttle there is a little delay in the drive being transferred to the wheels due to the engine rocking on its mounts. With a damper or hard engine mounts the power transfer is a lot quicker. (obviously we are talking a very little time difference but some people do say it noticeable).

Thanks Sam :thumbs:

I can only assume its because the engine doesn't rock on the mounts? Without one when you put your foot on the throttle there is a little delay in the drive being transferred to the wheels due to the engine rocking on its mounts. With a damper or hard engine mounts the power transfer is a lot quicker. (obviously we are talking a very little time difference but some people do say it noticeable).

What S/C are you having fitted? B)

Vortech, and from what I gather he's fitted most of it already!! :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=55095&hilit=darren+b

Vortech, and from what I gather he's fitted most of it already!! :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=176&t=55095&hilit=darren+b

Why thank you kind Sir!

:band:

Yep was all installed on Friday & fabricated brackets for pipes & cables yesterday,

Superchargingfinaltouches024.jpg

Just waiting for my FRS to turn up, new seal for the Fuel pump assembly then I`m good to go for a tune :teeth:

Whoaaaa Darren that was fast :surrender:

Welldone mate :thumbs: I like the red plenum B)

The stillen engine dampener is a great mod and improves gear change precision too. Couple with a short shifter and the urethane engine mount like I have the gear change is bolt action precise with no slack or unwanted movement of the gearstick during hard acceleration or down changes. Only down side is more NVH but the SC will be louder :lol:

I will install the proper engine mounts later during my sc install.

Look forwards to your complete install, tune and impressions for inspiration :D

Yep was all installed on Friday & fabricated brackets for pipes & cables yesterday,

Just waiting for my FRS to turn up, new seal for the Fuel pump assembly then I`m good to go for a tune :teeth:

That was mighty quick :band:

Just out of curiosity, as I can't see from that pic very clearly, but did you have to cut a portion of your engine cover for the pulley etc

Will the strut bar fit and is going back on :surrender:

Nice to see you doing something to your own car for a change rather than fixing everyone else's :clap:

And can fully understand the s/c option that is more suited to your driving style :drive1:lol:

Obviously a piece of cake then!! :surrender::surrender::clap::clap::notworthy::notworthy: Respect :thumbs: Way to go buddy, I've just finished decorating one of the bedrooms and was feeling quite a sense of achievement until I read this :blush: Can't wait to feel the power :drive1