Major Dilema

Sarnie

Then you have the risk of your venture even working? Can you not do both? Start setting up your own business, while working where you are at the moment?

Its what i am doing and proving to be quite sucessful

Unfortunately not. The FSA state that you can only be registered to one company at a time to prevent a conflict of interests. :blush:

Ah

that changes things.

Well there are some things to consider:

if the business doesn't go as planned is it easy for you to find a job again? If it is no issue then I would also say to go for it. Otherwise you might regret never having tried in the first place

Maybe do something completely different (and less rewarding) on the side to generate a bit of an income (some no-brainer job, part-time (or less) just to get you some cash for that time, heck, working at McDonalds or god-knows-what just to get some money)

So if i understand correctly you dont need the Z money to invest in your company but to survive those months. In that case the risk is different imho.

Altogether I would give it a shot, and just try to find a way to bridge the period without too much financial hassle (I know its none of my business, but maybe Mrs Sarnie can help out a bit? Surely she'll benefit of it too in the long run if all goes well)

Yes you are correct. I don't need to money to invest I need it to cover my lack of salary for potentialy around 6 months :thumbs:

Mrs Sarnie has a good job but there is just no way we could survive on her income.

I was just wondering whether people would get a loan to cover the period or sell the zed and use that money?

ffs with £55k salary just save up for 3 months and then live slightly below your means for the first 6 months of your new business

Not quite as simple as that though. We have a massive mortgage with massive payments. Also my salary is not £55k. Thats roughly what I earnt last year but bonus' can vary wildly. Just trying to gauge third party opinions as me and the missus keep having divided opinions. Strangely she wants me to do it and I'm the one who is slightly hesitant. I think she has visions of becoming a socialite who 'does lunch' :dry:

Easy, if you are confident in your earning abilities and that you can make a success of it, extend your morgage to cover your salary, + some extra bunce, the once you have started to make some real money, pay it back, hence, no lost Z interest will be less that the loss from the car, plus you break even.

If you are not confident enough to do it, then do leave you job.

I reckon I'm perfectly placed to give you some advice mate - I've done exactly the same thing (not sell the Z - although I would have, but I mean doing the same thing you are and going employed to setting up a business).

The first thing I'd say is reckon on giving yourself 12 months - you aint gonna earn very much at all for the first year. Also where are you going to generate your business? If its all existing active clients (be very careful when you're categorising them - there's very very few I would describe as truely active) then you're ok and likewise if you have some good introducers that would continue to refer to you then you're laughing.

Advertising in our game doesn't work unless you're on a big scale, I don't care what anyone tells you other than that cos its wrong.

How are you going to grow your business? Whats the plan for the next 2-5 years?

I could go on forever mate, PM me if you like :thumbs:

What I'd say is in the short term if you can survive its well worth doing, far better earning it for yourself plus you're always gonna work harder when you see the benefits without pumping it all into someone elses pocket :teeth:

Easier and less stressful to sell a car than a house :thumbs:

I wish. I could sell my apartment in Dublin in a week. The car could take over a year to sell. Irish people are very slow to buy sports cars unless they are filthy rich in which case it's DB9's all round (or the new Jag). Muppets. Bit of a stereotype I know but you get the idea. Property is gold in Ireland. Everybody wants it and is prepared to pay a lot for it. For cars they want new and cheap. €54k Z doesn’t fit the average criteria.

I think I mentioned earlier, the Z isn't really worth that much. Running costs are high but a loan to cover costs and the value of the Z is not an issue in my mind.

Tightening the old purse strings is a lot easier then people think and is probably the best thing to do here. I've virtually given up drinking over the last year for no real reason and the bank balance has reached a point where I have to decide what to do with it. I didn't drink a lot it just costs a lot. Night out in Dublin just with mates to a pub/club will leave you with a pocket of coins from €100.

I reckon I'm perfectly placed to give you some advice mate - I've done exactly the same thing (not sell the Z - although I would have, but I mean doing the same thing you are and going employed to setting up a business).

The first thing I'd say is reckon on giving yourself 12 months - you aint gonna earn very much at all for the first year. Also where are you going to generate your business? If its all existing active clients (be very careful when you're categorising them - there's very very few I would describe as truely active) then you're ok and likewise if you have some good introducers that would continue to refer to you then you're laughing.

Advertising in our game doesn't work unless you're on a big scale, I don't care what anyone tells you other than that cos its wrong.

How are you going to grow your business? Whats the plan for the next 2-5 years?

I could go on forever mate, PM me if you like :thumbs:

What I'd say is in the short term if you can survive its well worth doing, far better earning it for yourself plus you're always gonna work harder when you see the benefits without pumping it all into someone elses pocket :teeth:

Ah, just the man :)

You have PM :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Just a quick up date :)

I left my company at the end of april! Scary :cry:

The zed is still here :thumbs:

Have been trading now for 3 weeks and it has been a very prosperous time for Sarnie Ltd :teeth:

So much so, that i've already started casting my eye over the gallardo's on Pistonhead's, just don't tell mrs Sarnie sssshhhhh :ninja:

Sarnie, if you have any advice, I would appreciate it! I have done the same as you and will be starting up in a couple of weeks!! It is indeed scary but would prefer to earn my own money rather than lining others pockets!!

Pleased it is working well for you mate! :thumbs:

Sarnie, if you have any advice, I would appreciate it! I have done the same as you and will be starting up in a couple of weeks!! It is indeed scary but would prefer to earn my own money rather than lining others pockets!!

Pleased it is working well for you mate! :thumbs:

Send me a PM mate and I'll fill you in :thumbs:

Excellent news chap, dont forget the little people when you are earning millions :teeth:

I've been thinking of leaving work too to become a consultant. Currently work for a big IT consultancy who are hell bent on keeping me on grad wages and not recognising the stuff I do as being any where near as expensive as they do in the city. Vey tempted to jack it all in and become a consultant in the city, just dont fancy the commute and lifestyle - atm I get away with doing not a lot. Anyone need a qualified Ab Intiio consultant? ;)

atm I get away with doing not a lot.

See, thats the difference in my scenario. I was working 12 - 14 hrs day some days. I was at the mercy of my employers. I had to be at the office for 0930 and then could be sent on appointments all day right upto 8pm at night. Many times I would be sent to say, Telford at 8pm, after a two hour appointment I wouldn't be getting home till after 11pm.

I used to get excited if I was home before 8pm :scare::surrender:

Spent three years working like that 'serving my apprenticeship' so to speak.

Not anymore. I don't have the security of a salary anymore but business has been very very lucrative in my first month :teeth: I now work about 4 hours a day and take 100% of the cake :D

See, thats the difference in my scenario. I was working 12 - 14 hrs day some days.

But you were getting paid 2x as much as me. Even after the 30%+ payrise I am meant to be getting, you'll still be getting more than 2x the pay for around the same amount of work :surrender: