Major Dilema

Sarnie

Short answer - NO.

Long answer - depends. :) I would have to research the career move thoroughly to really know and understand if it was sound. The only real reason for me to sell the Z would be if I was leaving the country for a job opportunity (or wanted a different car).

Could be that investment is required for this career move. In the UK the Z costs a chunk less then here in Ireland so I would look for the cash elsewhere (If in the UK). A Z here is €54k new so I probably would sell if I needed the cash to gain the (guaranteed) return.

Yes - I would. But the Z is the missus' daily drive, so I wouldnt really be that bothered - as Im already using an oil burner on a daily basis.

Opportunities like that will not present themselves every day. If there is a path back, and you dont have to burn any bridges, then grasp the nettle.

PS - Ill buy it. :thumbs::lol:

At the end of the day, the Zed is a car not a lifestyle or security for your life. It can be replaced, enhanced on or scrapped completely. Personally I would take the opportunity and then decide if you want another zed again when you are earning more, or buy a completely different car.

BTW - lets swap zeds then :thumbs:

Sarnie, you are the financial advisor so I'm sure you know the answer. You can't hold onto a depreciating 'asset' and pass on an opportunity to generate a better lifestyle.

Don't commit if it won't pay off! If you can risk it and afford to lose then go for it. If you can't afford to lose your 'stake' then don't take the risk.

Ok cheers guys. I think I'm a bit too fond of my zed :blush:

Basically I work for a company in an employed capacity. As a salaried consultant i get a healthy salary and bonus scheme and all the benefits that go with it blah blah blah. To shed a bit more light on the matter I wrote £345k's worth of biz last year and I earnt about 16% of that figure.

An opportunity has come up to start up my own brokerage. Even scaling down the figures it entirely feasible to write about £170k's worth of biz with minimal overheads meaning a net split of about 90%

All sounds good but.......upon leaving my job I would be without an income for about 6-9 months maybe slightly longer. And there is the problem. I could get a loan but don't really want to take on further borrowing the the added expenditure leaving the zed as the only disposeable asset. The money in the zed could cover my salary for that period :cry:

I don't work in your business so I'm not sure on fiqures etc. Cutting yourself off from an income is risky.

If your company would support you going part time on a consultancy role and you could build up your business that way it could be more beneficial!

Was in the situation a few years back where I was offered a job in Munich for 4x my salary. I went for it and I've no regrets. Stayed there a couple of years before coming back to Blighty. It depends how much it would disrupt your life. It worked for me until I finally got fed up with travelling and all the sh*t that comes with it. I still get regular offers of silly money abroad but I'm happy where I am at this moment in my life. Sometimes (although hard for a tight Scotsman like myself) you've gotta accept that money isn't everything. If you're happy where you are just now and you're earning decent wedge, then why bother? :)

Then you have the risk of your venture even working? Can you not do both? Start setting up your own business, while working where you are at the moment?

Its what i am doing and proving to be quite sucessful

Unfortunately not. The FSA state that you can only be registered to one company at a time to prevent a conflict of interests. :blush:

Then you have the risk of your venture even working? Can you not do both? Start setting up your own business, while working where you are at the moment?

Unfortunately not. The FSA state that you can only be registered to one company at a time to prevent a conflict of interests. :blush:

Ahh i see. Ok personally i would take the risk, life is all about risks to get further in life, you can always get another zed like yours down the line mate. I would take the plunge and see where it takes me, if not you will always be saying to your self "what if" and i for one can never live like that

Was in the situation a few years back where I was offered a job in Munich for 4x my salary. I went for it and I've no regrets. Stayed there a couple of years before coming back to Blighty. It depends how much it would disrupt your life. It worked for me until I finally got fed up with travelling and all the sh*t that comes with it. I still get regular offers of silly money abroad but I'm happy where I am at this moment in my life. Sometimes (although hard for a tight Scotsman like myself) you've gotta accept that money isn't everything. If you're happy where you are just now and you're earning decent wedge, then why bother? :)

To be honest this would not disrupt my life at all really apart from financially. I would be working from home and my hours would be a lot less if anything. The point is that potentially I could earn a lot more for what I'm doing than I am at the moment. :blush:

The biggest decision for me is parting with my zed :cry: I'm considering borrowing the money over the longest possible period with the view of (hopefully) being able to clear it by the end of the year and if it doesn't work then sell my zed and pay the loan off at that point.

Hmmmmm :wacko:

Ah

that changes things.

Well there are some things to consider:

if the business doesn't go as planned is it easy for you to find a job again? If it is no issue then I would also say to go for it. Otherwise you might regret never having tried in the first place

Maybe do something completely different (and less rewarding) on the side to generate a bit of an income (some no-brainer job, part-time (or less) just to get you some cash for that time, heck, working at McDonalds or god-knows-what just to get some money)

So if i understand correctly you dont need the Z money to invest in your company but to survive those months. In that case the risk is different imho.

Altogether I would give it a shot, and just try to find a way to bridge the period without too much financial hassle (I know its none of my business, but maybe Mrs Sarnie can help out a bit? Surely she'll benefit of it too in the long run if all goes well)

If you can take a loan and you think it will work then go for it! If not then don't risk it.

I was offered a day rate contract being paid a nice amount of money per day however I couldn't risk not having a contract at the end of the six month period. It wuld have bankrupted me. I might do it in a couple of years though.