Just a quickie on insurance

nixy

if you had a second car and could legally drive it on your existing fully comp insurance third party only - would you have to get it insured in its own right? I realise you wouldn't be covered if it got nicked but just wondered. You'd be able to drive legally but how would you get it taxed without an insurance certificate?

As mentioned, the car must already be insured by someone else if it's not in your name.

You also need to start earning new NCD on a 2nd policy. Some insurers will mirror your existing NCD on a 2nd policy and some will give you an introductory discount.

If you could effectively drive without insurance then I would have bought an old banger to get to and from work instead of a new Clio :D

I stick by what we underwrite.

You can drive a car TPO if your policy allows you i.e over 25 yrs old, not in the motor trade or student. You must have the owners permission and the car is only covered TPO until the policy holder or named drivers get back into the car after you.

Strange but true....You can drive a car TPO (as long as your motor policy states) as long as the car is owned by another party.

Insurance companies will not broadcast this as it is not good business.

If you are unsure....Call your insurance company, you would probably have to ask the insurance advisor to check with underwritting, they should be honest with you as all calls are recorded by FSA legislation.

At the end of the day its always better to insure the car, if you have a wife or partner some companies will give you a 2nd car discount which should equate to the same amount as your own.

I hope this helps those that are sceptacle.

yeah, maybe the person should be insured and not the vehicle?

Now that would be too logical wouldn't it.

the trouble with that is the MOT. The insurance links with the cars MOT to proove it's roadworthy. It would be difficult to cross reference both if it was the person that was insured.

Mmm, true. I'm just all for making life easy - I also think you should be given a registration number when you pass your driving test and keep it to go on each car you own. Not good for new car sales so it would never happen.

Disagree...the car is all the risk not the person i.e. You can't monitor your car 24-7, your car might catch the eye of some jealous S**t unlike the person.

Regarding the DOC on uninsured cars, the car needs to be mot and roadworthty obviously so it would need at least to be insured as a temporary car on your own insurance for at least 1 mth to get the tax and MOT. One other little stipulation..the car must not be leased by you.