Sold up and moving on - Civic time.

chrisgunton

Sad times!

My Zed finally sold! After trying to sell via eBay and attending car shows with it gleaming (4hrs prep each time!) it went to the boyfriend of a girl at work - a co-worker happened to overhear her talking about her boyfriend wanting one. Fate?

This weekend I'll start my hunt for a 2.2l diesel Honda Civic. Any tips or advice welcome!

Will be sad to leave the forum - the Civic forums I've checked out are nowhere near as active.

Massive thanks to the ZMANALEX and Cookbot anf helping me pimp my zed during my ownership :thumbs:

There's loads of Civics around, I really don't think ur have a hard time finding one. Honda have issue a recall recently regarding getting changing the fusebox to correct a problem with the battery been drained whilst the the engine is off (this happened to my wife's car and caused the battery to die completely after 18months).

Otherwise I really don't think much goes wrong with them, the wife's car has SatNav, Bluetooth, Crusiecontrol etc....it's done 50K from new and apart from the battery issue nothing else has needed attention.

I almost got a civic diesel, only thing that put me off was the horrible plastic trim all around the wheels and skirts... so I went for a Seat Leon FR TDI, might be worth a test drive as they are similar, Civic is slightly more economical but doesn't pack quite as much of a punch :wink: civic is a nicer place to be though....

Good luck with the search :thumbs:

We went to look at brand new diesel civics last December and nowhere had any in stock, apparently there was a new model coming out this year, so they off loaded all their old ones cheap. Which if your looking at a 2nd hand one has got to be a good thing as the prices should come down a little.

At least it sounds like the zed has gone to a good home. All the best with the search for your next car.

I'll keep tuned into this thread, as i would like to hear about the diesel Civic , been thinking of one of these along with Leon FR, and possibly the Volvo C30 R design, as replacement for my 350GT when it goes.

Whats the FR TDI like to live with Dave?

I love it :thumbs:

It is great to drive, huge amount of torque and properly quick for a diesel, quite noisy as slow speeds though as it is a PD not a CR (newer ones are CR), can sound like a transit van on a cold morning :lol:

Not hugely economical for a diesel, it averages about 38-40mpg but never less than 35 and I have had well over 50 on a decent long run.

The ride is pretty harsh but not bone breaking.

Had mine since new and it's on 55k now, I keep looking at replacing it but I can't find anything that the missus or I like better.... maybe a Scirroco but the top spec TDI has not been out long so still a bit pricey....

My wife has a civic 2.2CDTi ES spec. Its a brilliant car - very torquey if a bit torque steery at times ;) if I drive it with Zed feet.

Great in the winter - especially with winter tyres on, and nice and comfortable. Very relaxing to drive.

The folding rear seats are great - dogs, bikes, tables, you name it fit in the tardis.

Only problem so far with ours has been the wife scratching it :lol: and an aftermarket iPod connection that doesn't always work (have to turn off engine and reboot stereo to get sound occasionally). Oh and a relay on the A/C needed changing once for about a tenner. Everything else has been bulletproof over 4 years and 70K ownership.

BTW, Another recall was the handbrake button was put in the wrong way round on some cars. Mostly that was fixed though.

One thing that does stand out in the Civic is just how cheap the interior feels compared to the Z and my 335i. If u stand the thought of driving a 320D than that might be worth a look, nearly 200bhp and 60+mpg on motorway runs, plus it's RWD and with so many about/new model just relasesd am sure they can be had for very little money these days :lol:

One thing that does stand out in the Civic is just how cheap the interior feels compared to the Z and my 335i. If u stand the thought of driving a 320D than that might be worth a look, nearly 200bhp and 60+mpg on motorway runs, plus it's RWD and with so many about/new model just relasesd am sure they can be had for very little money these days :lol:

i'm guessing you have one of the newer zeds then, as i thought the civic had a nicer interior than the early zeds.

The Zed went with it's new owner yesterday. Sad times. Was glad to see the box full of spares and parts leave my garage though :D

Picking up my 2007 Honda Civic this week. Can't wait. Got it for under £5500 as it's a low spec SE variant. I can live without all the toys as it's for work mainly and a million times cooler than the Fabia I've been using!