Career advice - headhunted

neo-ninja

Hey guys i need some advice. I work in quite a niche up and coming field, and was recently head hunted by another company.

They have given me the job spec and what the role entails. In terms of career move, the new company is much smaller but therefore has the potential for me to move up the ranks much faster and gain a more senior role more easily, being young this is quite tough in other bigger companies (and almost impossible in my company unless move boss leaves). The job I have now should be fairly secure (keep your fingers crossed) however the new job being that its for a smaller company potentially has a risk, although I do see it has an exciting future ahead of itself.

I have met with them twice and feel that they would be an exciting move but only if the price is right.

The company who head hunted me has no knowledge of what im earning now and has asked me to see if im in their price range. They offer less perks (holiday, pension etc..) so I have worked out my salary + what those perks are worth if I was to buy them and come up with a figure "X".

But my question to you all is how much is an acceptable amount to ask for extra, in my mind i wouldn’t move for less then around X plus 25-28% extra, does that sound acceptable?

Would you laugh someone out the door? I had read elsewhere that if you are approached you can expect up to a 45% increase.

Is there any advice you have in general?

It's a negotiation so expect some back and forth. However, a rough guide would be market value of the job and your experience really.

Yeah thats a tough one as i do think i could probably get around 10% more easily elsewhere for that little money i dont think i would move.

I would make them make you an offer, then you can see what they think your job role is worth. Then negotiate from there... if negotiation is required :thumbs:

If you say your currently on X + 28%, then they could reduce their original offer to suit, or I want X + 45%, they may ay thanks but no thanks :shrug:

At the end of the day, yes money goes along way, but for me job satisfaction tops the list. I could think of nothing worse that despising the job I was doing. Would I take slightly less money for a more enjoyable, prosperous role... Yes.

Also a word of caution, I have been caught in the "prospective employer promises" trap before, so don't take everything they say as given. I was promised shares once...... have they ever materialised..... errr No :byebye:

Good Luck :thumbs:

I would make them make you an offer, then you can see what they think your job role is worth. Then negotiate from there... if negotiation is required :thumbs:

If you say your currently on X + 28%, then they could reduce their original offer to suit, or I want X + 45%, they may ay thanks but no thanks :shrug:

At the end of the day, yes money goes along way, but for me job satisfaction tops the list. I could think of nothing worse that despising the job I was doing. Would I take slightly less money for a more enjoyable, prosperous role... Yes.

Also a word of caution, I have been caught in the "prospective employer promises" trap before, so don't take everything they say as given. I was promised shares once...... have they ever materialised..... errr No :byebye:

Good Luck :thumbs:

Some good advice there :thumbs:

Tell them you will take market rate and see what they offer. Thats always the easiest way to do it. If you give them a figure they will always try and knock you down. It doesnt matter if you are on way less than your market value, they should give you what you are worth. Find other job specs out there and use that as justification.

I assume if you are thinking of adding upto 45% to your current figure you are on less than market rate? To put it into perspective, when I moved from permie to contracting, I tripled my take home. Now this is extreme, but when I then went back to permie again only 1.5yrs later, I am now on more than double what I was when last permie. Its all down to your market value. My original employer didnt agree my market worth so I left and now work for someone willing to pay my market rate.

I'll add this, my stepson is a web designer, worked for himself doing not too bad but not brill, along came an up and coming company, got him to do a couple of things, liked what he did and got a lot of work based on it, convinced him to go with them which he did, they were not web savvy they just pulled in the work, when they screwed up he got the blame!! not his fault+ he had to manage other guys doing I T work, he worked out his salary +35 percent thinking that it would cover him if he had stayed on his own, its the worst move he could have done, he's now looking for another job,the time he lost building his own contacts has gone awol, so much for head hunting!! beware :headhurt:

Nothing wrong with "I look forward to receiving your offer" :thumbs:

This.

It does my nutt when people say they will pay market rate without quoting a number to you, so I just do it back :lol: They will have a budget and if they are sensible this will equate to what people are worth in the open market. Working in IT it shouldnt be hard to get a good estimate from JobServe or LinkedIn :thumbs:

1. Check other similar roles online to see the going rate

2. Value your unique attributes, what sets you apart from everyone else and what value you would put on that

3. Force them to make the offer, don't play your hand

BUT, I would say, as much as money makes the world go round, a horrible job makes you forget the pay rise very quickly. Have you worked for a smaller company before? Bear in mind you will need to be more hands on, no HR, no IT, much less support, you might also experience more 'its my baby' from the owners. Jim made a good point, promises of high flying and the like are great, but any company big or small can claim that.

Think about why you are moving, are you unhappy where you are? Money will follow if you are in a happy environment doing a job you are passionate about.

If the company headhunting you want you, they should be the ones making the offer. Why would you divulge what you want? Your not asking them for a job, they want you to work for them so they should be making you an offer.

As in all negotiation, whatever their first offer is, reject it. No one makes their full and final offer first time around.

As others have said, don't be totally swayed by the salary figures. I used to work for a smaller independant company and the pay was way better than the industry average but as the company was essentially run by the owner, who was a fat ****er, all protocols of HR and normal conduct went out of the window. Sick pay was paid at discretion, holiday requests were granted or not at his discretion, bonus targets were constantly changed to stop you earning etc etc all stuff that a big company couldn't get away with.

Think about why you are moving, are you unhappy where you are? Money will follow if you are in a happy environment doing a job you are passionate about.

Exactly why I moved back from contracting. All the money is great but having to do boring stuff day in day out isnt worth the trade off. I am now in a company where I get on with everyone in the team, they are very focused on staff being happy, all very sporty and active which makes everyone happier. Its a bit hit and miss if you will blend in and be happy but I think you can guage it quite well from interviews/meetings.

Thanks for the advice all i have basically had one round of negotiation already, and now am going back with a justification for the package i am asking for, they arnt offering as good a pention etc.. so i am factoring that in, aswell as less holiday etc..

Fingers crossed it all works out, and the move is a good one. Hopefully it should prove to be a big step forward towards the GTR i want!