Raspberry Pi

spursmaddave

After a conversation with Jim the other evening I have registered for one of these when they eventually sort things out and ship them...

Anyone else on the list :snack:

Linky - http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Basically it is a mini unix pc about the size of a matchbox, mainly for programmers but judging by the spec I can't see why you couldn't use it as a multimedia PC, they even have an HDMI output...

After a conversation with Jim the other evening I have registered for one of these when they eventually sort things out and ship them...

Anyone else on the list :snack:

Linky - http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Basically it is a mini unix pc about the size of a matchbox, mainly for programmers but judging by the spec I can't see why you couldn't use it as a multimedia PC, they even have an HDMI output...

Read a lot about these. Not sure about using it as a HTPC/media server. There's no HDD (SD media capacity is limited & expensive). The software isn't exactly "plug & play" and you can't expect high streaming performance from a barebones device like this.

Perfect thing to give your ten year old though, to get him Lulzsec'd by the age of 15 :lol:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... aspberrypi

* Broadcom BCM2835 700MHz ARM1176JZFS processor with FPU and Videocore 4 GPU

* GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode

* GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure

* 256MB RAM

* Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux

* 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket

* HDMI socket

* USB 2.0 socket

* RCA video socket

* SD card socket

* Powered from microUSB socket

* 3.5mm audio out jack

* Header footprint for camera connection

* Size: 85.6 x 53.98 x 17mm

So not very powerful in CPU MHz terms but it does have full HD hardware acceleration for video, albeit very specific H.264 only by the looks of it.

I would say more than capable of streaming media over a LAN :thumbs:

Not sure on H.264, it says it can but I have my doubts....

It is mainly aimed at schools etc to use as a learning tool for programming not as a direct HTPC replacement.

At £30 it will cost less than a decent book on programming :wacko:

Who needs books on programming? As soon as they are printed they are out of date - and we got told that at Uni too :lol:

Google is your friend for most languages, except for the one I use as its black box and you wont find anything on it on the web as the company that make it dont release the details and have been known to close down groups that try to share info on it :surrender:

Who needs books on programming? As soon as they are printed they are out of date - and we got told that at Uni too :lol:

Google is your friend for most languages, except for the one I use as its black box and you wont find anything on it on the web as the company that make it dont release the details and have been known to close down groups that try to share info on it :surrender:

Some of us learnt programming pre-internet :p

I think it will be great from a leaning point of view, each student could have one and bring it in and take it home again :thumbs:

There was programming before the internet :surrender::lol:

Yes very good idea, can teach kids some real applicable skills for once, hopefully spark some imagination back into them, even if they do use them to try and do wrong doing as I'm sure they will find a way ;)

I literally don’t understand a word written on this thread :headhurt::lol:

For that comment have a Custard Pie

Apollo%20pie%20in%20face.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

The custard pie I can handle, but not the green elasticated pants :scare:

Elasticated pants come to us all one day :console:

At least you can get 2 pairs for £10 in the Mail on Sunday supplement :thumbs: and one of those big slippers that you can get both feet in :lol::lol::lol:

if you get one make sure the lan port is the correct one -

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/781

been looking at these myself, might bring back memories of typing in huge code lists on me spectrum 48k, yes the one with the 'dead flesh' keyboard :lol:

I think the delay is because of the dodgy LAN...

I remember typing in code for about 3 hours on my Commodore 64 and debugging it, finally got it working, just about to back it up to cassette and then my Mum turned it off because dinner was ready :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

ah happy days or saving and loading progs on a tape recorder :teeth::blush:

Yes, I had a BBC and I remember trying to load "Elite" by cassette, it was ready by the time I got in from school :scare:

Funny you mention that I was looking at an article on Elite only the other day.

I was not lucky enough to have a BBC computer so I only got to play Elite on the Commodore 64....

One bad decision I made was getting an Amstrad CPC464 :thumbdown: what a pile of cack but then we know Lord Alan has been responsible for some rubbish over the years :lol: