TONNEAU COVER FASTENERS

RICHIERICH

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/ ... 4E4F4E4526

Got these on RS site in the end after few hours looking after realising minimum order numbers and delivery costs

you get pack of 5 too so one spare!!! £11.58 delivered next day! they were only £4.70 rest was delivery and vat

would have got from knobs and co at 65p each but postage was over £8 so out of principle looked elsewhere!

cheers guys, let u know how they fit!

Speaking of fasteners, is there actually a thread in the rear crossbar for this?

Is it M6 thread?

Currently mine is held on by the plastic popper which originally has the thing you can hook the cargo net into and lots of duct tape.

Had screws with my tonneau but they didn't seem to fit anywhere, although the previous owner did admit he wasn't sure if they were the correct ones.

Thanks

Speaking of fasteners, is there actually a thread in the rear crossbar for this?

Is it M6 thread?

Currently mine is held on by the plastic popper which originally has the thing you can hook the cargo net into and lots of duct tape.

Had screws with my tonneau but they didn't seem to fit anywhere, although the previous owner did admit he wasn't sure if they were the correct ones.

Thanks

Yep, the underside of my strut bar has threaded holes in it. There are then two brackets attached to that which bend at 90 degrees and have two more holes to line up with the threaded inserts in the tonneau, which is then kept in place with the placcy knobs/nuts. Same on the bottom-have 2x metal brackets in the boot floor. Not sure if that's what you were getting at bulletmagnet, but that's how mine is secured! Think the threads are all m6

My 04 JDM Zed doesn't have threaded holes for the tonneau - a brand new tonneau cover comes with 2 rawlnuts which you use to screw into. These sit in the holes left by the removal of the 2 hooks on the underside of the crossbar.

I bought mine second hand so was missing these rawlnuts but a quick search on google found these for me, as suggested by a member of another 350Z forum

http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rawlnuts.html

It's the M4 x 11 (0-2mm) ones apparently

They only come in packs of 50, and I've just ordered mine today, so I'm not certain if they work yet, but a few people on the other forum said they work well.

• 2 months later...

hoping someone here can help...

i have one of these tonneau covers (i am a complete zed novice and it would appear this is a bit of a bonus judging from the number of people who want them!) but it has broken at the top where it attaches to the underside of the brace.

seems that he small rubberised plug which attached to the brace and held the thread has worn away.... means there is nowhere for the screw to actual, err, screw.

apart from bodging something together with superglue, are there are better fixes/suggestions out there?

thanks in advance from a novice... this place has already been invaluable to me!

I wanted to retain the luggage hooks, so I made my own fixings. With a small slot cut in the trim, a bracket can run virtually straight up the front face of the strut brace. Simply using an existing bolt to secure to the face, there is plenty of room behind the trim. I trimmed the brackets with black felt, and also hinged the bottom set so that I have a flat boot floor when I want to use it, so I retain all the functionality of the boot and the luggage hooks and have sturdy, neat fixings for the tonneau. Also trimmed the gap around the board with some 'D' section rubber trim to completely seal the boot. Matches perfectly.

I wanted to retain the luggage hooks, so I made my own fixings. With a small slot cut in the trim, a bracket can run virtually straight up the front face of the strut brace. Simply using an existing bolt to secure to the face, there is plenty of room behind the trim. I trimmed the brackets with black felt, and also hinged the bottom set so that I have a flat boot floor when I want to use it, so I retain all the functionality of the boot and the luggage hooks and have sturdy, neat fixings for the tonneau. Also trimmed the gap around the board with some 'D' section rubber trim to completely seal the boot. Matches perfectly.

sounds like a little more involved, but also very achievable... i'll give it a go.

i have one of these tonneau covers (i am a complete zed novice and it would appear this is a bit of a bonus judging from the number of people who want them!) but it has broken at the top where it attaches to the underside of the brace.

seems that he small rubberised plug which attached to the brace and held the thread has worn away.... means there is nowhere for the screw to actual, err, screw.

apart from bodging something together with superglue, are there are better fixes/suggestions out there?

thanks in advance from a novice... this place has already been invaluable to me!

From what I understand of your post you're looking for the part I posted a link to directly above your initial post. This rubber plug pushes into the hole in the underside of the strut and it has an internal thread, so when you screw into it the plug expands to stay in the hole. (Like a rawlplug for a wall, hence the name rawlnut)

Sorry if I've misunderstood you completely, if I have then just ignore me!

Watshot's solution seems great though, I might be tempted to attempt that on mine!

Here's a couple of pic's to show what I'm on about....

Bracket bolted to the front of the strut box section, using existing bolts. Retains luggage hook and a good sturdy fix.

th_144.jpg

Divider trimmed with 'D' section rubber trim to seal the gap.

th_002.jpg

From what I understand of your post you're looking for the part I posted a link to directly above your initial post. This rubber plug pushes into the hole in the underside of the strut and it has an internal thread, so when you screw into it the plug expands to stay in the hole. (Like a rawlplug for a wall, hence the name rawlnut)

Sorry if I've misunderstood you completely, if I have then just ignore me!

Watshot's solution seems great though, I might be tempted to attempt that on mine!

no, you were right, that was exactly what i was looking for. thanks - if i had seen it i would probably have bought some, but i didn't so i found another solution.

i didn't have the luggage clips that watshot had, so i never missed those - i have four of those hooks but they are on a lower level, so i just use the luggage bag like an envelope on the bottom of the boot.

if i had seen those plugs of yours i may have use one, but instead i just used something by black and decker - called a molly piranha. similar to a rawl plug but it has a metal cage construction instead of the rubber and that collapses as you screw it in place. they were about £4 from Homebase for a pack of 10 and are despigned for hollow cavity walls and things, i think.

while not perfect it has done the business for me at this stage. i'll probably look to replicate the original position one day, but what i came up with is a perfectly fine work around for now...

i'm just getting into the habit of doing things for myself, so at this stage i am happy to be doing anything for myself - i'll move onto doing things perfectly for myself at some stage!