Mods and selling your car....

sipar69

Having got my new exhaust and loving it I'm thinking that maybe high flow cats and a remap will be next. Before I jump in I've started wondering whether modding will have much of an affect when I eventually come to sell or part exchange the car.

Will it be a lot harder to shift a car with mods? Would I get the door slammed in my face if I tried to part exchange at a Nissan dealer for example?

Not an issue I expect to be facing for a good few years but it would help to be clear on this before I make any more changes. :thumbs:

From what I saw of modded cars for sale on here, that people will sell them onto members at a higher price than stock but certainly much lower than the cost of buying it all seperately if they want to shift the car quickly. I remember when buying a guy offered his 04 Zed for about £13k after spending about £50k on it :scare:

Otherwise it is better to sell the modded parts separately and revert to stock to get as much money back as possible.

If you can, then keep the original parts.

Then when you come to sell you can return the car to stock, sell that at normal money and sell the after market parts to get some of the money back.

If you sell them on the car then you will not get as much back (if hardly any)

and unless the car is heavily modified to a particular taste (track day spec, rally car, drag car etc) then it is usually harder to sell on than a stock car as it can give the (often wrong) impression that the car has been driven and used heavily.

Then when you come to sell you can return the car to stock, sell that at normal money and sell the after market parts to get some of the money back.

+1 :thumbs:

Be able to return to stock, I learned this the hard way with my old 350z which was no way heavily modified but the dealer basically said it would go to auction if it was anything other than 100% stock.

Keep the old exhaust and cats and put them back on when you come to sell. Will get back more money that way too, theres lots of vultures on here willing to have second hand bits at good prices ;)

and unless the car is heavily modified to a particular taste (track day spec, rally car, drag car etc) then it is usually harder to sell on than a stock car as it can give the (often wrong) impression that the car has been driven and used heavily.

+1.

In my experience of cars, its always much easier to sell a stock car than one which has been modified - you are hitting a much wider market.

+1.

In my experience of cars, its always much easier to sell a stock car than one which has been modified - you are hitting a much wider market.

+2

I had an extemely modified 350z and it took about 1 and half months to sell my zed and because it was so unique it narrowed the market. Whatever I do to my 370z... I shall make sure I keep all my oem parts and it will go back to stock when its time to sell :)