Opening the door when window is iced....

MDMetal

Hi guys, hopefully this hasnt been asked before (i did search!) Freezing cold tonight, go and open and the car and obviously the windows were iced up, the door opened fine but i didnt fancy trying to close it again until it de-iced which was 5 min or so. Whats the best way to handle this sensibly? just spray de-icer on them and go back inside the house for 5 min? I dont want to risk damaging the window/motors/door/anything! (yes I do park it un-covered)

+1

Get a bottle/kettle of TEPID water and slowly go round the door/glass frame.

Gets you in in a jiffy.

I normally fill a 2l bottle the night before and thus know its just room temp. Use it on windscreen and to open the door.

6 yrs on and still no cracked glass :thumbs:

If it was as icy as last year it took 2 bottles as the defrost is very slow with room temp water......but safer ;)

I’ve thought about this problem myself and at first favoured using a bit of tongue, by running it along the top edge of the window.

Unfortunately this method I’ve decided could be a little problematic.

First you could form an even stronger attachment than you already have for your car, at least until spring arrives that is. It could also be a bit a bit of a bind if some opportunist bum bandit happens along.

Imagine your standing there looking very alluring, bent slightly forward in what he might consider a provocative pose :blush: .

Imagine it, how do you say STOP or NO those words usually required in any rape case to indicate lack of consent. A bit of a sticky wicket me thinks. :wacko:

Or what if one of your local mugger’s walks past and decides not to ask politely if he could borrow a couple of quid and your phone so he can call in his daily fix order! What the hell could you do stuck to your door window like that!

I’m now convinced that a bit of tongue can land you in more trouble that enough and will stick to my second idea of peeing on the frozen window instead!! :yahoo:

I used to run an old credit/debit card down the lower seal which freed it up on the 350z.

The '70 is a garage queen so dont have that problem now :blush:

A queen for a queen eh? ;):lol:

We'll see what you're like when yours arrives - if it hasnt already?

Was out in the cold weather yesterday, but having been kept in the garage, it didnt need defrosting. Stick the heated seats on and away you go :teeth: