Ex member, contemplating a 350z track car

R800NER

with regards to high mileage engine, if its go tthat far with out issue it usually means its less likely to suffer from the issues that have plauged others. like i said before if the compression is good when you buy it, then there is no reason to worry about it. a car is more than capable of being run permanently on WOT, as long as its maintained well it will go for a long time. the issues your refering to is if its not maintained.

but again i wouldn't be buying a zed for track so i wouldn't be checking all this stuff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think a 350z is a perfect track/race car

The car is a lot of fun which is what this is about, im sure all of the cars mentioned are and ive driven most of them, it does however cost a fair amount to sort a 350z out properly. Running costs are also fairly high depending on what you do of course, my car has decent parts on it, so rather than coming in after 10 laps at a trackday i can happily stay out for as long as fuel/tyres will let me (1-2mpg)

if you want any advice please feel free to pm me...

There is a lot of weight to be saved if you are ruthless, the whole aircon system is quite heavy for example, as is all of the speakers and stereo, seats are heavy too but i think the heaviest was the doors, who needs doors!!! :D

And I think all of the other cars listed are better in some way, Ive tracked everything else (other than an FD) mentioned here - main reasons that they are lighter and faster which is kinda the point of a track car for me.

I would love to take my MR2, 306 and Zed on track on the same day - I already know the other two are more fun and it wouldnt suprise me to find they are quicker too. ;)

Im perhaps a little biased, but you can easily find a decent condition track specced 350hp 200SX for £4K now, you dont have to do anything else and theres loads of room for wheels as well. Zeds are great and all, but they are GT cars, not track weapons IMO. :)

And I think all of the other cars listed are better in some way, Ive tracked everything else (other than an FD) mentioned here - main reasons that they are lighter and faster which is kinda the point of a track car for me.

I would love to take my MR2, 306 and Zed on track on the same day - I already know the other two are more fun and it wouldnt suprise me to find they are quicker too. ;)

Im perhaps a little biased, but you can easily find a decent condition track specced 350hp 200SX for £4K now, you dont have to do anything else and theres loads of room for wheels as well. Zeds are great and all, but they are GT cars, not track weapons IMO. :)

+1

Having done a few trackdays myself bang for buck I had more fun in my Prelude which was light as anything after I'd removed all the modcons (aircon, abs, PS, sound proofing, balance shafts, interior)

If the post had been "I want a great car for the road and to hoon on the occasional track day" then yes, the Z is almost untouchable, however for a track car and having had one the S2000 would be my number 1 choice for the price - beautiful engine, gearbox, poise and response :)

While I love my 350Z I can think of better track cars that will return more joy for the money. I also think the 350 is a bit heavy for a track car but maybe that's just me...

If I had £5000 to spend it would be on an MX5 Turbo, cage and hard top, I bet you anything that would put a bigger smile on your face than a 350.

While I love my 350Z I can think of better track cars that will return more joy for the money. I also think the 350 is a bit heavy for a track car but maybe that's just me...

If I had £5000 to spend it would be on an MX5 Turbo, cage and hard top, I bet you anything that would put a bigger smile on your face than a 350.

yeah same as the Mr2 roadster turbo conversion.

i reckon both would out drive and be faster round the track by a long way, with the best part of 250 bhp per ton compared to 172 bhp per ton. they'd run rings round a zed and for less money as well.

you'd have to spend a hell of a lot of cash on the zed to make it anywhere near competetive against both of them, and for a fraction of the cost you can still keep up grading the MX5 and the MR2. they even put the S2000 to shame when it comes to price of parts etc. and running costs

A friend of mine has a ~300hpo charged MX5 with sorted suspension, brakes and tyres and its astonishingly fast round a track.

He reckons he could build me one for under £4K, having watched him chase an extremely well driven and set up 400hp 200SX round Donington without losing any ground and been out on hillclimbs with him I can tell you that any Zed this side of £10K isnt even in the same league. :)

Is there some reason why you would want to convert an MR2 into a turbocharged one, as opposed to just buying a JDM version that left the factory as a turbocharged car?

your refering to the old mk2 version, i'm refering to the mk3 roadster non of which came with FI and the reason i'd go for the Mk3 over the Mk2 is the chassis is alot better the handling is better and its not such a knife edge car to drive as the mk2. still requires a bit of talent as the weight is all in the middle. but when you get it right it is so rewarding.

Is there some reason why you would want to convert an MR2 into a turbocharged one, as opposed to just buying a JDM version that left the factory as a turbocharged car?

your refering to the old mk2 version, i'm refering to the mk3 roadster non of which came with FI and the reason i'd go for the Mk3 over the Mk2 is the chassis is alot better the handling is better and its not such a knife edge car to drive as the mk2. still requires a bit of talent as the weight is all in the middle. but when you get it right it is so rewarding.

Thanks. I'd made a big and wrong assumption there thinking we were on about the Mark 2. The problem with the Mark 3, obviously in my opinion, is that it's nowhere near as damn pretty as the mark 2!

Thanks. I'd made a big and wrong assumption there thinking we were on about the Mark 2. The problem with the Mark 3, obviously in my opinion, is that it's nowhere near as damn pretty as the mark 2!

i think the mk3 was very pretty, its only downside was its headlights, made it look like a frog. but i love the Mk2 so much, never owned one but drove a few and love them, i might even still get one at some point as they are so cheap these days.

+1

Having done a few trackdays myself bang for buck I had more fun in my Prelude which was light as anything after I'd removed all the modcons (aircon, abs, PS, sound proofing, balance shafts, interior)

If the post had been "I want a great car for the road and to hoon on the occasional track day" then yes, the Z is almost untouchable, however for a track car and having had one the S2000 would be my number 1 choice for the price - beautiful engine, gearbox, poise and response :)

Depends how far you go with it and how good you are at driving a specific car. one of the reasons the 350z is heavy is because the chassis and sub frames are very stiff for a road car, until you actually get some proper suspension and actually use some decent track orientated settings you have no idea how much fun the 350 can be on a track at the limit (though of course this would render it uncomfortable and dangerour on the road).. in terms of speed although it is heavy the zed is very good in the corners when properly prepared, it is also incredibly reliable (not to say the others are not). In terms of lap times i think you would be very surprised as you say lighter and faster is the point.. for me the point is fun, part of which is overall laptimes and cornering.

as for the comment about the zed being great on the road and the occasional track day i think that is entirely wrong personally, weak brakes and horrible suspension if left standard make the car feel horribly overweight and sluggish on a track compared to others.

i think the mk3 was very pretty, its only downside was its headlights, made it look like a frog. but i love the Mk2 so much, never owned one but drove a few and love them, i might even still get one at some point as they are so cheap these days.

Superb condition inside and out, 1976 vintage, less than 70,000 miles on the clock and worth next to nothing. Well I still enjoy driving her!

PA120182.jpg

i thought the mk1's were 80's early 90's mk2 most of the 90's mk3 the 2000 plus

And I think you are correct. The one in the pic is a Mark 2 series 3, NA UK car. Bog standard with the exception of the radio and wheels.

i only pointed the dates out as you said 1976 vintage, which slightly confused me :blush:

And I think you are correct. The one in the pic is a Mark 2 series 3, NA UK car. Bog standard with the exception of the radio and wheels.

i only pointed the dates out as you said 1976 vintage, which slightly confused me :blush:

haha yeah, I think being a P reg he meant 1996 vintage :D

And not unusually, I'm wrong again. It's a typo and should read 1996. Sorry about that.

for me the point is fun, part of which is overall laptimes and cornering.

OK, to be more specific I currently own a 350Z on coilovers with basic mods and brand new RE050A's, a standard MR2 Roadster, a heavily modified 400hp S13 200SX and a GTI-6 with a few choice mods. I just listed them in reverse "fun on track" order, the top three are interchangable depending on where you are driving ;)

The lap times dont make a blind bit of difference to the enjpoyment when you are out there. You could also buy the top three all together for less than Id sell the Zed for.

Each to their own and all, the Zed is great, capable and rewarding and I loved taking it round Donington in the summer, but as someone with a fair amount of experience of a lot of different cars I wouldnt be recommending it as a track only car.

OK, to be more specific I currently own a 350Z on coilovers with basic mods and brand new RE050A's, a standard MR2 Roadster, a heavily modified 400hp S13 200SX and a GTI-6 with a few choice mods. I just listed them in reverse "fun on track" order, the top three are interchangable depending on where you are driving ;)

The lap times dont make a blind bit of difference to the enjpoyment when you are out there. You could also buy the top three all together for less than Id sell the Zed for.

Each to their own and all, the Zed is great, capable and rewarding and I loved taking it round Donington in the summer, but as someone with a fair amount of experience of a lot of different cars I wouldnt be recommending it as a track only car.

You known mr lizard is a competition race driver sponsored by abbey?

You known mr lizard is a competition race driver sponsored by abbey?

yes i do, and like docwra i've tracked most of my cars and i've owned and driven and tracked all but the 200sx. and can say i've had more fun in the mr2 and gti6.

yes you can turn the zed into a track car that can compete and when its at that standard i'm sure its good, but i know for one that the money spent on new panels, tuning race parts, brakes setups etc will have possible cost what the cars worth and possible double. and the same for you neil, i'm sure your car is extrememly competant now. but the cash spent to get it there like you've said before is about 10-15k.

what docwra and i are saying is that for about 6-7k you could buy and build something like the mr2, mx5 or gti6 for alot less and it be just as fun if not more, and probably faster. where as with the zed you'd only just buy the vehicle before you even start track preping it. and when you do its going to chew through consumables alot quicker than the other cars, and they'll cost more to buy as the vehicle is bigger using bigger parts.

as has been said before the zed is a great GT but its not a first choice track car.