Would you report bad driving?

Beavis

I had to make the same decision a couple of months ago when i saw some idiot on the m25 driving like a maniac, even threw something out of the car at me when i wouldnt move out of his way (no where to go)

I remember you posting about that at the time, shame nothing got done.

Funny this should come up really as i've just got in from the gym and most of the 20 min drive back I had a white van about 12mm from my back bumper. Now anyone in west london will know it's been raining constantly since about 3pm, so it's soaked here, and this was in a residential 30 zone, if I'd have had to brake for someone walking into the road or something I have no doubt he would have gone straight into the back of me. The Irony is he was so close i actually never saw his plate to report him. And this after a good friend of mine got smashed into the ditch on the A14 yesterday by (you guessed it) a tailgating white van man who then drove off, leaving her in the (written off) car in the ditch pinned in her seat by the airbags! i've never got the whole 'white van man' complaint before but it's all starting to make sense.

DB

Report it every time.

With you on that one, doesn't matter where you are. For all you know, you might have just reported a stolen car! So could have helped the police find it. Or plain, they're hopeless or mental drivers and need a wake up call.

Some business vans/lorries have a number on them that you are invited to ring if their driving concerns you.If you have a record of dodgy driving you should have to place your mobile number on the back of your car so that other drivers can ring you when its safe to do so!!,if you are driving when you answer the phone you could get done for that as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth::teeth:

Whilst I am pleased you reported them, and even more surprised that the cops did something, the tragedy is that when all comes to all, the one thing the police are interested in (as far as driving is concerned) is speeding, yes its important in the town, but is it really more important than cars in poor working order (i.e. lights out) arse-hole drivers that don’t drive sensibly in poor conditions, folks that cause road rage through selfish road use, or in this case straight out dangerous driving?

Yes, your example is hard to prove if it went to court, but a knock at the door could save someone’s life in the future. :shrug:

Is this based on anything? In my experience, the opposite is true.

Only trafic cops can prosecute for speeding offences as only they have the equipment to measure speed to evidential standards.

Drink driving, careless driving and fail to stop/report an accident are far more common.

I'd always encourage someone to report bad driving as soon as possible, as people have said above, a knock on the door is about the most that will / can happen unless your willing to give a statement and go to court, but the knock may make people think and it all gets recorded.

As for parking up outside her house and watching her until she drives badly.. well, that may well be against the law! (surveillance - RIPA authorities etc) and the chances of having the resources to do that are nil. Im in on Friday night and I think we have 4 cops covering 50,000 + people.

I was on the M55 coming home from the airport and saw a crowd of lads in a beemer playing games. They would blast past traffic and then slow down weaving between lanes 2 and 3 and stopping people overtaking them.

I phoned the police and a couple of miles down the road they were pulled in by two traffic cars.

The police also called me back with an update.

I was on the M55 coming home from the airport and saw a crowd of lads in a beemer playing games. They would blast past traffic and then slow down weaving between lanes 2 and 3 and stopping people overtaking them.

I phoned the police and a couple of miles down the road they were pulled in by two traffic cars.

Great work - well done those traffic cops and you for reporting them :#1:

Shame they probably just got a slap on the wrists :dry:

I have a habit of 'swerving' around pot holes (when safe obviously) as I don't want to ruin my alignment and suspension. An onlooker must have thought I was drink driving and reported my number plate to the police. They didn't pay me a visit on the day but followed me home and stopped me outside my house the day after.

Sometimes people get reported for dangerous driving for no reason too. Some old fool on my parents road drives like a loon doing 45 round a blind bend on the road that everyone else slows down for as there is always double parking on it. He takes peoples registrations all the time, if he feels your doing over 30mph or your engine is loud he watches you like a hawk despite the fact that he is the dangerous idiot! :angry::lol::thumbs:

Great work - well done those traffic cops and you for reporting them :#1:

Shame they probably just got a slap on the wrists :dry:

Have often felt the need to report some of the horrendous and dangerous driving we all see on an almost daily basis, however have always been reluctant to dial 999 as it's not really an emegency and would need to go through directory enquiries for the general police no.(then an automated service before getting to speak to anybody....lost the will by now) and thought that the police should have a dedicated no. like crimestoppers for these incidents.

What no. did you call?

I presume if you ring from a mobile the system recognizes where you are so it gets to the right police area - just thinking of Martinmac's example.

I would assume the mobile operators have the right systems to deal with it, just like I assume they do when you dial 999 or 112 from a mobile. It does say it offers you a list if you are on the cusp of 2 areas so that you can chose the right one. From my knowledge of telecommunications its easy to identify the cell that the mobile is calling from and get the location from there. I did a fair bit of analysis at O2 over cell site locations and how much people moved about so know this first hand ;)