How can I find where in the world a relative is?

Bry

My Cousin Joe set off for Euro Disney to get a job about 15 years ago and basically hasn't kept in touch with his family since then. After 9/11 his Mum and Dad were worried about him so asked the Salvation army if they could find out where in world he was, they eventually found him in Bulgaria. He sent a letter back to his parents saying he was slowly heading for Australia and that was the last they've heard from him. Once again they'd like to know if he is ok so does anyone know how they could find out where he may be (Salvation army had no luck this time) they don't have much money so must be a relatively simple way of doing it. I thought maybe the Home office could let his parents know where his passport was last used?

I dont know whether reporting them as a missing person would help :shrug:

The home office are unlikely to divulge such information unless there is an ongoing investigation.

Does he have a UK bank account - can the bank help at all? Where are the statements being sent?

As above, facebook is a good start. Find a friend of theirs and go through their friends list if public, and then their friend list etc etc.

Good luck :thumbs:

I am not sure but I think a direct relative can speak to the British Embassy and they may be able to tell you which country his passport was last used in, you would then have to use that countries embassy or electoral roll type thing to then locate him. :shrug:

I'm not on facebook but that doesn't mean I don't want to be found(he's not on facebook neither). There is no bad feeling between him and his family he just does his own thing and doesn't think about how worried his family are.

I'm not on facebook but that doesn't mean I don't want to be found(he's not on facebook neither). There is no bad feeling between him and his family he just does his own thing and doesn't think about how worried his family are.

You don't need to be found - we know where you are :p

He might just be a slacker, and off living his life and having a good time, and it doesn't occur to him, that others might be worried about him. Maybe?

Finding someone can be done, but is often about luck. Last year my dad heard a rumor that his step brother who had immigrated abroad to America many many years ago had died. My dad roughly knew where he had moved to, but had lost his details. We asked around his old school friends and one of them had his last known contact details.

We called the phone number many times, but no answer.

So, I hit google and turn into Mr Poirot. I find a phone book on some website for the area he was last known to be living in, search the name and find 3. We call 2, not the right person, and the 3rd is not answering. I then find the neighbours phone number for the address ive found, call them, they answer, and basically ask them if their neighbour is still alive and to call us.

Turns out I name number 3 was the right person, he`s still alive and is keeping in more regular touch now.

Amazing really the power of the internet. I dont know how id have done it before the internet was around.

He might just be a slacker, and off living his life and having a good time, and it doesn't occur to him, that others might be worried about him. Maybe?

exactly :)