boxster retarded person!

skidder

So i'm having a look over at my zed and this guy says to me 'nice car but i've been thinking about getting a boxter, whats your opinion?'

I wont say what I said but why would anyone want a boxster over a 350z? I really don't see the comparison.

A 350z has serious character and a boxster has bugger all in my opinion.

Feel free to offer your opinion and slate me..

Now a 996 is a different matter but not a boxster..

I really am lost for words..

Please advise your opinions. :thumbs:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies about the spelling.edited Dblock.Just not a car for me and no I didn't call him a 'retard'.I just stated that the the 350z has much more character and thought the boxster was for er..girls...

sorry but just my opinion..

All the best,

Chris

Boxster, no. Cayman yes. While I wouldnt swap a 350 for either, as I think the 350 just has bags of character, the Cayman is quite nice. The interior of the early Boxsters look quite dated imho - and while te 350 doesnt have the most dramatic of interiors, they dont look as "old man" as the boxster interiors imho.

The cayman I quite like, I'm not sure why but it has a bit more character, maybe not many about and the exhaust in the centre section is ok.

Would I swap...I doubt it without monetary value considered..

I think your making "character" up cayman and 987s are about 80%-90% the same. Boxster is probably one of the best convertibles out there. Less than a cayman too.

The cayman I quite like, I'm not sure why but it has a bit more character, maybe not many about and the exhaust in the centre section is ok.

Would I swap...I doubt it without monetary value considered..

I think your making "character" up cayman and 987s are about 80%-90% the same. Boxster is probably one of the best convertibles out there. Less than a cayman too.

Never driven one but I asked the question on here and got a very positive response.

Lets look at it from a different point of view.

Stick a Merc or a BMW badge on it - many people would suddenly change their tune and endlessly wax lyrical about how amazing it is.

Its got a Porsche badge on it and therefore you expect soul stirring, premium feel, germanic build quality........which it perhaps doesn't deliver quite as well as other Porsches because its 'budget' as far as a Porsche goes.

The problem is buying a car says something about 'you' as a person - you buy a Porsche because you;

A. want a soul stirring awesome reliable car.

B. want to flount the peacock feathers to show the world how well your doing (thats why I would get one if I had the money anyway!)

Therefore the assessment of people who buy a Boxster by many people is;

A. if you listen to Clarkson its a Coxster and therefore its almost an automotive faux pas to buy it.

B. you can't afford a 'real' Porsche so don't try and impress me with your badge.

Harsh assessment all round but thats the way of the world.

In fact there are 3 types of people in this assessment;

- People who know nothing about cars.......they will think you've got an amazing car

- People who know a bit about cars........they will think 'hahahaha.....****' (I live in this group).

- People who know a bit more about cars........they will give you the nod for buying a good decent car because they are not quite so fussed about the badge because they know the car is good.

I think we'll agree to disagree..

I can't make character up...the 350z has bags and bags of it...I've owned nissans all my life and they all stand out from the crowd in one way or another.

The only porsche i'd ever buy is a 996 or possibly an older 911..

Just my lowly opinion..

cheers,

Chris

I can't make character up...the 350z has bags and bags of it...I've owned nissans all my life and they all stand out from the crowd in one way or another.

Just my lowly opinion..

cheers,

Chris

I guess what DBlock means mate is what are you actually using to define why the Boxster has no character? Why does a Cayman have character when a Boxster does't.

Have you ever driven one?

In the same price range (forget the badge) what looks *significantly* better?

Boxster has centre exit zorsty too?

Get the 3.2 liter and 0-60 is 5.9 seconds

Will handle better than many cars as mid engine

Take the badge away......why does it not have character? Bland interior I'll give you but the rest is a very attractive package........if you don't mind people spitting on you when the roof is down.

I agree ricey, maybe i'm talking a load of garbage.

The only porsche i've ever driven was my old mans 996.

The only reason I said about the cayman was its rarer and I guess a bit more exclusive.

As suggested its near enough a boxster and either are not for me.

All the best,

Chris

Bloody hell Skidder! My Lancer might be going on Sunday and I'd talked myself out of getting one and now you've got me looking again

:cloud9:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Bloody hell Ricey....Surely you're not serious!

Hmmmm - I like it but I'm not sure I can live with 6.7 liters on the drive but only 4 seats!

Taking anything bigger than a carrier bag anywhere would be something of a problem!

sigh

another ill informed person; this is the same reason people over look the S2000, and also see the MR2 roadster as a "girls" car. i'd be more than happy to take a boxster over the zed, same as i think the S2000 was a better drive than the Zed.

A. the boxster looks better as a convertible than the zed

B. its lighter

C. the car is better balanced with the engine where it is

D. its not made of pig iron and cast lead

E. the badge

F. its a better drive

the zeds great, enjoyable to drive, but there are so many other great cars to try out, and own.

personally i don't think you can base that kind of decision with out having driven it.

i'd also have the cayman over the 370Z and the XKRS over the GTR; i'm not denying both the GTR and the 370Z are great cars, but there are other things that float my boat more. doesn;t mean i'd slag it or the owner off just because i don't like it.

Just my lowly opinion..

cheers,

Chris

Again 996's share about 60% of parts with the 986. A 911 only costs Porsche about 3k more to make.

I agree with Rich. I really like my 350 I really do, love it infact. Doesnt mean its the best thing ever. I appricate different cars. I can look past my orange lit dials. Back in the day what made the 350 a winner was it was nearly half the price of a Boxster S.

Also Ricey get a 3.2S if you can they are much better :thumbs:

Err, so what can we take away from this thread ? Oh yes, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers. This is my 10 penneth. There's lots of nice cars out there obviously, most of which we will probably never own ? Well i know i won't anyway. When you start to look at the overall package for the money though, the 350z makes so much sense. It has looks, performance, style and it gets as many glances as most of the other cars in this thread. If you can buy a comparible Boxster (age, mileage, condition etc) for the same money as your Z then it might be worth a look but it all comes down to what floats your boat.

Around 4 years ago a friend of mine bought a Boxster S. It was a 2000 model with about 50,000 on the clock so it was about 7 years old when he bought it. It cost him £15,000. He ran it for about 18 months and we worked out that in servicing, tyres, exhaust and repairs, bla blah blah that it had cost him a further £5,000. This wasn't including road tax, insurance and fuel etc. When he sold it he got £9,000 for it and he struggled to sell it for that. I think he had only put about 6,000 miles on it in that time aswell. So, all in all that Boxster cost him about £11,000 in 18 months !!! Nice.

I'm not suggesting it wasn't a good car and i know he certainly enjoyed it but i never did see it as anything special and the build quality was appalling to be fair. Lots of things went wrong with it during his ownership and that wasn't down to it being mis treated as he really looked after it. My Z cost me less to buy than he lost on his Boxster in 18 months, and i see it as a much more satisfying drive and a better looking car but thats subjective of course.

I guess what i am trying to say (in a nutshell) is, we bought our 350z's for a reason. Our reasons may differ but we bought them anyway. And i for one know that my Z puts a great big fat smile on my face everytime i slip into the drivers seat and thats the basics of what car ownership should be about. The Boxster wouldn't do that for me. Now, a 996 is a totally different ball game altogether but its a supercar, not a sportscar.

RXS

It's quite simple:

Boxster v 350/370 covertible.

Cayman v 350/370 coupe

In both cases,year for year,the Porsche is better,BUT it costs more to buy and maintain.

As with most things in life,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

However,the Nissan is still a great car and the converse of the above is that any given amout buys you a newer Nissan than a Porsche,which has theoretical advantages.

It also depends what price range you are in...if you have £10k then I'd have the Nissan because a Porsche would be rather old,but at £30k I'd take a recent Porsche rather than a new Nissan.

...Wait a minute,I've just confused myself :)

Ive found the boxster comparable in costs to the 350. Fuel they are about the sameish. Tyres they are cheaper with better sizes and less wear. Brakes I have found cost the same. Servicing is a little more expensive as its 8-9 litres of oil but then you do get a few more miles if you wish from a service.

My 350 serviced from Nissan was no cheaper than the boxster S serviced from motortune in Shotts.

The good thing about boxsters is they are fast, nimble and handlewell. They are pretty much spot on out of the box. the 350 needs modding to be on the same level but at the same time they cost much less as standard.

Also a Nissan with 100k drives worse than a Porsche on 200k and parts are much much cheaper than 350 parts. Working on them is a hell of a lot eaiser too.

I really like the look of boxsters with the hood down, two of my mates have had hassle free driving from them.

Don't think I would own one though, my mate was at the local shop in his 06 boxster the other day, pulled up at the shops and a group of 14 year old chavs started shouting ' your cars @*!#' etc ! Obviously listen to Clarkson too much, my mate was pretty fuming as these chavs were just given him cheek for no reason.

It's sad the car is known as a poor mans Porsche.. It always comes out top in roadster tests and it's a fantastic car. I've driven a couple and a cayman and a 911 and think they are all great. For me though I would rather spend my cash on an older 911 than a newer boxster or Cayman.

I owned my Boxster S for three years and loved it, I've had my zed for three and a half years and really liked it.

I found the zed to be really cheap to run compared to the Porsche, where the zed never needed anything other than servicing and consumables, the Boxster went wrong several times and was very extensive to fix and service, the way I thought of it was that every part came with a designer label attached.

I've never had any adverse attention in my zed, unlike the Boxster which occasionally had chavs shouting abuse at me or spitting at it as I drove past, that never really bothered me and definitely wouldn't put me off getting another.

if I were to sum up the experience of both, I'd say both were great but I'd prefer to have the Boxster as it's better to drive, looks better and is far more practical but I'd rather pay for the Zed.